• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    So, I know wolf is not real clean ammo, however 300.00 for a thousand isn't bad is it?
    Thanks for any opinions.
    I did search this topic before I posted, if I missed this being already answered, I do apologize ahead of time.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    7.62 or 5.45? I've seen them both around $240 or less, but these days if you can get it you shouldn't wait. As product is restocked in the stores, they aren't going to leave it at the lower price.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    7.62x39?

$300/1k isn't bad considering.

I bought Wolf or Tula or something at Walmart for $5/20rnds when I had an AK over the summer, which (with tax) would be $267.50/1k. If you can snag it at $300/1k I'd get it.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Right now Plinker and like the idea of having extra, later possibly get into reloading. I also was under the impression that the brass was cleaner to shoot. I should also say I was looking at the Prvi Partizan FMJ or the Federal American Eagle brass. It is about twice the price of the Wolf.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Right now Plinker and like the idea of having extra, later possibly get into reloading. I also was under the impression that the brass was cleaner to shoot. I should also say I was looking at the Prvi Partizan FMJ or the Federal American Eagle brass. It is about twice the price of the Wolf.
    Brass is cleaner because it is soft enough to expand and fill the chamber when the cartridge is fired.
    The soft steel used in Wolf and other ammo isn't soft enough to expand and completely fill the chamber so some carbon and residue from the ignition of the powder seeps into the chamber and requires cleaning more often than brass.
    Also....
    Never shoot brass after shooting steel unless you've cleaned the chamber thoroughly.
    The residue left from the steel cases will bind the brass to the chamber and you risk tearing the rim and base from the brass case and having to use a stuck cartridge remover to get the stuck brass out.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Brass is cleaner because it is soft enough to expand and fill the chamber when the cartridge is fired.
    The soft steel used in Wolf and other ammo isn't soft enough to expand and completely fill the chamber so some carbon and residue from the ignition of the powder seeps into the chamber and requires cleaning more often than brass.
    Also....
    Never shoot brass after shooting steel unless you've cleaned the chamber thoroughly.
    The residue left from the steel cases will bind the brass to the chamber and you risk tearing the rim and base from the brass case and having to use a stuck cartridge remover to get the stuck brass out.

So If you had a choice, for your Romanian AK of 1000 for 300. or 500 American Eagle Brass for 349.00, what would you do? I really just want to shoot some and save some. Thanks again for your opinion.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    It says it is the wolf non-corrosive.
    Sorry to sound stupid, but is there ammo that is labeled as corrosive?
    Or is it that there is ammo that is not labeled?

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    It says it is the wolf non-corrosive.
    Sorry to sound stupid, but is there ammo that is labeled as corrosive?
    Or is it that there is ammo that is not labeled?

Corrosive 7.62x39 ammo is usually surplus stuff from a foreign government.
    I've never seen it marked "corrosive" so the rule of thumb is to treat all surplus ammo as though it is corrosive and clean your firearm thoroughly after shooting it.
    I have a quantity of supposedly non corrosive surplus ammo but I still treat it as though I was certain that it's corrosive.
    Better safe than sorry..... ;)
    BTW..
    You don't sound stupid.
    You sound curious.:)

Top Bottom