• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dtruck260

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Roanoke, Indiana
    I thought that they weren't letting anyone shoot .50 at the range because of the damage it does?

You have to arrange a time, range has to be clear (no one else shooting), and be checked out at the distances you want to shoot, my friend and I are full members and the RO asked if we cared if they shot a few rounds while we watched

(I don't think he finished the sentence before we said go ahead) :)

I don't know that I would be anymore afraid of an .50 from someone not paying (read being an idiot) attention that I would a .308 or .338 or .223 or.... or ... or ...

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    You have to arrange a time, range has to be clear (no one else shooting), and be checked out at the distances you want to shoot, my friend and I are full members and the RO asked if we cared if they shot a few rounds while we watched

(I don't think he finished the sentence before we said go ahead) :)

I don't know that I would be anymore afraid of an .50 from someone not paying (read being an idiot) attention that I would a .308 or .338 or .223 or.... or ... or ...

I knew I needed to get a membership and spend more time there. Its only 3 miles from my house.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Downtown Fort Wayne
    That's just about as good as it gets right there. The camera shaking as he fires tells the whole story, massive power.

I've been driving to Roush and like it fairly well but wouldn't mind checking out something closer. Is Hillside public or if it's private what does it take to get in there?

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    That's just about as good as it gets right there. The camera shaking as he fires tells the whole story, massive power.

I've been driving to Roush and like it fairly well but wouldn't mind checking out something closer. Is Hillside public or if it's private what does it take to get in there?

Someone that knows more will chime in. I believe that its membership driven. $240 bucks a year. When I was asking last year, you couldn't shoot without a range officer present. I could be way off though.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    What an amazing gun. I would have loved to be in your shoes.

I got a chance to put 10 rounds through one down at Atterbury in the early 90s. I'd never seen one in person before, and had never shot a .50BMG before. I had no idea what to expect. It was larger than I expected, looking kind of like a giant AR on steroids. I watched the owner shoot it first, and standing behind and to the side of him, the blast wave was impressive, to say the least.

Shooting it was sweet. The recoil wasn't sharp, but was rather like being hit in the shoulder by a red VW Microbus, occupied by a family of 4 from Iowa, which was moving at about 5MPH.

Three things kept me from being interested in buying one. First, the price of the rifle. That's more than I can spend on something I wouldn't use very often. The reason I wouldn't use it much is because of the price of ammo. At the time he said it was about $1/round for surplus. Ouch. And third, after I got done shooting it, someone else was shooting it, and it apparently fired out of battery, because there was a quite impressive kaboom.

Top Bottom