• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hillnc01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    FT. Wayne
    So I've decided to purchase a Beretta PX4 sub compact. The gun feels great in my hand and I've heard a lot of great things about them. At first I was dead set on getting the .40 cal but after reading all the reviews it seems like the majority of the guys out there have the 9mm for the extra round capacity. The .40 cal holds 10 rounds the 9mm holds 13.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Something to consider, when SHTF shot placement will matter more than caliber.

Nice pistol. Enjoy!

Reaper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Fishers, IN
    My brother just bought px4 in 40, he said it is a bit snappy but shots super smooth. He has never liked anything bigger then a 380, but he like the px4 in 40 cal.

Buy what you think you will enjoy shotting the most and will shot the most of!

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm a 40 fan, I've had the 9's and I like the extra hit of the 40, if your shooting steel or bowling pins the extra will get you points over the 9,

I won't argue shot placement, If shot placement was perfect every time I would carry a 22lr.

If you don't reload you will find out that you can buy 9 a little cheaper and if you buy in bulk then you maximize that savings. If you reload then the price difference is tiny

You really didn't define your criteria

If its money only then 9 wins,

if its the most power then the 40 wins,

round count EEHH if you are in a bad place will a couple rounds save you who know's you can scenerio yourself into little circles.

If this is your first auto then go with 9 you don't need the extra recoil and cost to learn how to shoot.

Define what you want and go from there, Internet experts mostly spout off what they own (like I did)

nighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I have had both I will agree with others that the 9mm is cheaper to shoot if you don't reload. The more plentiful the ammo the more likely your going to train with it properly.

I have a friend that carry's the px in 9mm due to the fact he gets better follow up shots from it. It all comes down to comfort level of shooting and ammo to me.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    It's really a personal choice, 'cuz everyone's going to recommend their preferences. I've owned and shot both and prefer 40 S&W, in spite of the price difference and "snappiness" (really, it's not as bad as people make it out to be). But that's me ...if you can, it'd do you a lot of good to be able to shoot at least a few magazines of each. Either caliber will do what you need it to do. Find a range that rents guns, or a few friends with either or both calibers and do some shooting. :yesway:

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    Great choice on firearm, i got the full size px4 in 9mm because:
    -9mm has more capacity per magazine
    -the px4 was my first handgun and I wanted to learn how to shoot well before I had to start dealing with more recoil from the 40S&W
    -the 9mm is easier for my fiance to shoot
    -most importantly, 9mm is 40% less in cost than 40S&W for factory ammunition. This is not because I am cheap, but because for every $30 I spend, i get 50 more rounds of 9mm which allows me to practice more.

My choices were mainly based on this being my first and only handgun. Now that I recently picked up a .22, I might have to reconsider my cost reasoning as I can still practice cheaply with that pistol now. Whatever you choose will have to be the right personal decision for yourself, good luck.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You answered the most important question in your original post. You like the way both feel in your hands. If you've shot both and are not put off by the recoil of the .40, it does have a little more power. Personally, I've found that the fit and feel of a specific handgun matters more to me than the fairly small differences between rounds like the 9mm and 40 S&W. You can learn to shoot either well but if you don't reload, it will cost appreciably more to put a lot of the .40 caliber rounds down range.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I used to be BIG into .40, but today's modern hollowpoints do the job. 9mm is plenty to do the job and the cheaper prices of 9mm means you can practice a lot more.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    It's really a personal choice, 'cuz everyone's going to recommend their preferences.

Yup!

The 9mm has larger capacity magazines in the same size guns.
    Other things equal, the .45 makes a bigger hole.
    The 9mm is more controllable than the .45.
    A 9mm bullet may expand, but the .45 won't shrink!
    On autopsy, medical examiners cannot tell, just by looking at entrance/exit wounds and wound tracts whether they were caused by 9mm, .40, or .45.
    Even though MEs cannot tell by observation, larger bullets still do more damage.
    The .40 is the choice of by far the most law enforcement agencies, including the FBI.
    9mm ammunition is cheaper; so, you are more likely to practice more.

When all things are considered, there is not any compelling difference among the three calibers. Personal preference carries the day.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'm surprised to see you roll the 45 into this discussion, NIFT. Most folks feel it is in an entirely different class. If the OP had asked if he should choose between the 9mm and 45ACP, would you have been just as ambiguous?

Would it be fair to say that there is a very definite increase in power, with an attendant increase in difficulty for many folks to shoot well, in these three cartridges?

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I'm surprised to see you roll the 45 into this discussion, NIFT. Most folks feel it is in an entirely different class. If the OP had asked if he should choose between the 9mm and 45ACP, would you have been just as ambiguous?

Would it be fair to say that there is a very definite increase in power, with an attendant increase in difficulty for many folks to shoot well, in these three cartridges?

Troll alert.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    personally i prefer the 40 round over the 9mm because, well....I enjoy shooting it more. That is that. I have a 9mm, and dont feel undergunned carrying it, but the 40, something about it...its just my preference.

Top Bottom