Nov 12-13 Garand Weekend in Bloomfield & Bedford, IN -- Who's Going?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    CMP-IHC-M120140623-06IHCPostageStamp_zps4ce88045.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Someday, I've got to get to some of these things. It's a shame to be so close and not take advantage of the opportunities.

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    A couple of people are stating that they don't own a Garand. I don't know if they didn't see my post for borrowing one or if they don't consider themselves responsible adults. I have two extra that I will bring with me. Don't let the NOT owning one keep you from coming out. Let me know if you want to reserve one of these for the weekend. I think this class will push you over the edge and make you break down and buy one.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Caliente or picante? I have backed off the picante. It's highly seasoned but not face burning. I do like to eat it piping hot. The heartburn comes from the 3 pounds of homegrown pork shoveled into it. My wife eats it without complications.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I know how to dress for Sunday. (for me it will be enough layers that I resemble the Michelin Man):):.

But what are the conditions at the Fairgrounds on Saturday? Are we in a heated building?

I'm getting my stuff together! Looking forward to this weekend in several ways.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Ugh... I really should go over to Camp Perry and fetch me one of these badboys....

You should do it sooner than later. The CMP supply is waning. Right now, they actually have some field grade rifles in stock. They also have a dozen or so of the "Winchester Special". They consist of an original Winchester receiver, new Criteron barrel and new dark walnut stock, reparkerized and brand new looking.

Here is a store report from Thursday morning. The best pickin's is usually first thing on Thursday morning.

"I was there when they opened. There maybe 20 field grades available and I was told that's all they had at this time. I looked through most of them, saw at least one LEAD rebuild and there was only one HRA which left with the gentleman that followed me into the store. One of the field grades was wearing a set of the older CMP made wood. One of the armorers helped me pick out a nice 2.1 million Springfield with the original barrel and a national match Op rod. I left with that and a spam can."

We ought to organize a car full of INGOers and make a road trip!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    AAR:

Day 1: Huff was our instructor for the day. This day was invested in a complete strip of the M1, soaking the parts in a bath of orange citrus cleaner while we learned about the history of the M1. The history lesson was thorough but without extraneous fill just to take up time. Then we removed the parts and took our notepad out and cataloged several of the pertinent parts. We took several measurements of the rifle to check the condition. Muzzle wear, throat erosion, oprod spring measurement, gas cylinder bore diameter, timing and maybe some I can't recall at this time. Then we reassembled our rifles, did a function check and admired our clean and well lubed rifles.

Our "final exam" was a field strip and a reassembly in which the fastest in the class won a fabulous prize! A long day, but I promise that when you walk out of the class you will probably know more about this fine rifle than most.

Day 2: We congregated at the Bedford Contingent. This place was unknown to me until we turned into the drive and made our way back to the range. What a cool place! We held a non-denominational church service and then used the first half of the day to zero our rifles to 100 and 200 yards. After lunch we finished up some additional fiddling with our sights and then held a CMP rifle match. We shot 30 rounds, 10 prone slow fire, 10 standing to prone rapid fire, and 10 standing slow fire. Then Huff, seeing we were all pretty fatigued provided a quick wrap-up of the event and told us to "get out".

Those were the details. Here are a few of my thoughts and opinions. First off, what a great group of people. What was particularly interesting to me was that there were none of "that guy" type people there. I have never to my recollection attended a shooting event where there was not at least one know-it-all that should have been teaching the class or some tacti-turd bragging about how good they are or some equipment snob that has the best and makes sure you know it. Just good people enjoying community and a common bond.

AJ, Rayne, Brian, Slim, Shannon, Dave and any I missed:) are all stand up people and I would enjoy being on the line with them anytime. No matter what we are shooting. Or even if we are having a cup of coffee or a beer. Just great people to be around.

The days are long, so be prepared. Drink plenty of water. I was pretty much the only person I saw other than Rayne that was hitting the porta-potty on a regular basis on Sunday. Stay hydrated. It does all kind of wonderful things for your body, vision and mental acuity.

Do not mistake this course or most any courses that Revere Rider's puts on to be a run-n-gun para-military event where safety rules are treated as suggestions. They run a tight ship. Also, have a love, or at least an interest in history. Because you will get some education.

If you own a M1 Garand, you should take this course.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for the initial AAR! I'm a Garand lover and have shot them at Camp Perry. Something magical about being on the line with others shooting the Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    This was my second Revere Riders event and it did not disappoint. As usual a great group of people that are there to help every step of the way. No matter what your skill level you won't feel left out or left behind. The course matter for class was spot on and felt like the shooting portion was paced well. I was wore out at the end of the day but that tells me how out of shape I am. Thanks again to all the great people that make these events happen.

Top Bottom