• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I always hear people at different shops talking about how steel cases tear your gun up and they all have lacquer on them and it comes your gun hope real bad. Well most newer steel case has switched or is being switched to polymer coating. And i've never had any problems with steel case out of any of my guns so far. I shoot steel in .223,.40,9mm, and .380 never had a problem. Plus i clean my gun after any amount of shooting anyways because that is good practice so i really don't know how dirty it gets. Doesn't seem to be any different then when i shoot brass.

Like others have said if it runs it then by all means shoot it up. I have a bunch of the regular tula from walmart that i've picked up here and there. I'll continue to buy it.

The only issue is the steel does not expand like brass. So you will have more carbon build up in the chamber.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I've always had good luck with Wolf & Tula steel cased ammo for 9mm, 40 S&W, and .223.
    However, I stay away from any and all steel cased ammo that is lacquer coated.

sig-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    North
    I see many posts that seem to be focused on the steel case, and not the bullet itself.
    I have no issue with the steel case as is shown in the luckygunnerlab test it does not really affect extractors, chambers, etc. What I have a huge problem with is the fact that all of the Russian steel ammo uses a Bi-metal bullet. Luckygunner also covered this aspect in their test as well. The Bullet itself is steel jacketed with an extremely thin copper wash. As is detailed in their report these bullets will destroy the rifling in a gun in under 4000 rounds. Some of the bullets were tumbling out of the barrels after 4000 rounds and keyholing targets. If it 4000 rounds the rifling is in effect ruined then I am sure the damage starts happening much sooner. As long as Brass, and more importantly copper bullets, are available I will chose not to ruin the bore of my rifles.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I see many posts that seem to be focused on the steel case, and not the bullet itself.
    I have no issue with the steel case as is shown in the luckygunnerlab test it does not really affect extractors, chambers, etc. What I have a huge problem with is the fact that all of the Russian steel ammo uses a Bi-metal bullet. Luckygunner also covered this aspect in their test as well. The Bullet itself is steel jacketed with an extremely thin copper wash. As is detailed in their report these bullets will destroy the rifling in a gun in under 4000 rounds. Some of the bullets were tumbling out of the barrels after 4000 rounds and keyholing targets. If it 4000 rounds the rifling is in effect ruined then I am sure the damage starts happening much sooner. As long as Brass, and more importantly copper bullets, are available I will chose not to ruin the bore of my rifles.

While this is one very important thing to look at, you also have to realize the torture that they put those barrels through with those 10,000 rounds. The rapid firing that they done will cause excessive wear to any barrel and if you look closely at the actual picture of the barrels after they cut them, you'll also notice that the barrel from the Federal isn't much better than that of the Wolf. Basically every barrel was worn down. Also, not a single person here is going to be firing 10,000 rounds through their weapon as fast as they were in that test. And hopefully they will clean their barrels between firings. Not only that, they stated that the Wolf and Brown Bear barrels were basically smooth bore after 6,000 rounds. What they also stated was that after those 6,000 rounds (would take even more for people like us who aren't excessively rapid firing 10,000 rounds) was that with the cost difference between the cheap steel cased ammo and the brass cased ammo, you have basically saved enough on the ammo to buy a new barrel.

Top Bottom