• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I do, but it is more like how chicks check out other chicks' shoes than a self defense thing. I like guns and I try to see if I can spot cc'ers or oc'ers to see what they are carrying or how they are carrying or what is working or not working for concealment.

A few weeks ago I drove my parents to the golden corral in bedford for sunday lunch. I saw a young man in the parking lot get out of his car and before he put on an overshirt, I saw he was carrying what looked like a g19 AIWB. I was glad because he seemed like a decent person and was interacting politely with the other people in the parking lot. I get a kick out of that type of thing because I'm a nerd and I like it when decent folks carry.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Nope. I scan for behaviors and body language, not weapons. I don't care if you're armed, I care if you're going to be a threat.

Having a better understanding of the criminal mind is something I want to study more after taking the class with you and Coach. It is probably just as important and weapon training.

I'm gonna leave this for the the others that were in the class. For those that were not, google it. OODA LOOP.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    If the belt is visible, belt clips are the giveaway. Even if there is no printing the clips are a tip off. Can't always see the belt though.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I was standing in line at a Wendy's the other day at lunch time when a stranger in line behind me posed the question, "So, you're a wheel-gun guy I gather"?
    It took me a second to realize he had not spotted my revolver but my speed-loader pouch.
    I answered that I happened to be a wheel-gun man today, but that may change tomorrow.
    We then had a pleasant, albeit short, conversation about carry pieces.

I think everyone who carries probably does watch for others carrying.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Actually it is not a "goal" at all. I don't like the fact that I have started doing it. As someone who has worked for the DoD, in the field for the last 12 years, I have higher than average SA. I am always on guard, watching others, and in particular watching their hands and faces. Hence my statement: "I have always had a somewhat heightened sense of SA, but now I feel like I am on condition orange whether I am carrying or not."

I was merely asking if your brain has gone on "over-drive" since you started carrying and did that settle down over time?

Oh ok, I see where you're coming from now. Personally, CC didn't change my SA awareness much at all. With 28 years in the fire service, it's taught me to always be aware. Even after all this time, it's amazing how situations/scenes can be so different than what you EXPECT to see.

You can easily stay at a higher SA; Orange, but not show it through your own body language or behavior.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Oh ok, I see where you're coming from now. Personally, CC didn't change my SA awareness much at all. With 28 years in the fire service, it's taught me to always be aware. Even after all this time, it's amazing how situations/scenes can be so different than what you EXPECT to see.

You can easily stay at a higher SA; Orange, but not show it through your own body language or behavior.

Thank you...that's moreover what I was expecting to hear.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I was standing in line at a Wendy's the other day at lunch time when a stranger in line behind me posed the question, "So, you're a wheel-gun guy I gather"?
    It took me a second to realize he had not spotted my revolver but my speed-loader pouch.
    I answered that I happened to be a wheel-gun man today, but that may change tomorrow.
    We then had a pleasant, albeit short, conversation about carry pieces.

I think everyone who carries probably does watch for others carrying.

Interesting, I would not have expected that exchange.
    And so that brings up another question: do you care if YOU are printing?

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    When I first started carrying years ago I looked for signs others were carrying. I also messed with my clothes a lot to make sure I was concealed. Now I CC but it's pretty sloppy and I don't care. Now I watch for odd behavoirs and/or nervous acting people.

Thank you...that's a helpful answer as well.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

Yes, I care if I am printing ... part of carrying concealed is trying to limit printing. You cant always prevent all printing, but based on clothing you can do a pretty good job hiding it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I get that...great point. But, how long have you been carrying and has this changed over time? (Meaning: did you look in the past?)

14 years, and not really. At first I was one of those guys who figured the pistol was a talisman and having it was enough. As I learned, became a cop, got experience, took training in body language it became my primary focus. I guess I skipped the weapons check part.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Having a better understanding of the criminal mind is something I want to study more after taking the class with you and Coach. It is probably just as important and weapon training.

I'm gonna leave this for the the others that were in the class. For those that were not, google it. OODA LOOP.

I'd say is more important. Avoidance wins 100% of the fights it avoids. It can't be taken from you. I'm disarmed while in Jordan and Spain, but not helpless.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

Depends on where/what I'm doing. Church? CC. Running to the gas station? I really don't care if it's OC, CC,half covered... etc

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I only look specifically for weapons when I see someone repeatedly touching the same area of their body, whether the rest of their verbal and non-verbal comms appear threatening or not. Carriers, especially news ones (I think), tend to want to make sure it's "still there", or adjust and adjust again.

Top Bottom