• Np3vs metalife

• Total voters

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If there is not a certain look you are going for i would go for the hard chrome. Better bang for the buck.

each one has its place though and there is not enough information at hand hence the way i voted.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've had a S&W revolver done in brushed hard chrome. Most folks thought it was stainless steel. It was extremely durable (harder than stainless steel) and I never had any trouble with the finish or the gun rusting even in harsh environments.

I have no experience with NP3, but the ad makes it look very good.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    IMAG0073.jpg

This is Hard Chrome from Metaloy.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have only read and heard good things about both finishes. I have a two tone RIA .45 that Im going to have hard chromed (Metalife) on the frame. Here is why, although robar NP3 and NP3 Plus are fantastic finishes I dont need to put that much into a handgun that is primarily a range gun / truck gun / fun gun. I just want a durable, decent finish that will keep from rusting.

Now if I was going to refinish a really nice gun the extra cost would be worth it. I tend to think that people dump too much money into guns, money that could be used for ammo and or training. I take care of my guns but I dont shoot in any competition any more so I dont need to incur the extra cost of a really nice finish. Just my :twocents:

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    The APW hard chrome does not have the bluish tint the metaloy finish appears to have in Killsticks photo.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Things to think about:

1) Chrome does not completely prevent rusting. I once left my Brazos competition pistol in the case (out of disgust from a rough match) only to find rusty fingerprints on the hard chrome when I opened it up.
    2) Tough coatings provide a tough surface, but don't necessarily protect against deformation. If you impact a coating hard enough (think magwell on a 1911) you can still damage it.

Having owned both a top of the line chromed gun, and now something with IonBond, I would pick the IonBond hands down.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Longtime fan and user of NP3, so that's the way I'd roll (only NP3 Plus this time around). Wait for Robar to run one of their internet discounts (they do it a few times a year) and get the Norton Special.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Longtime fan and user of NP3, so that's the way I'd roll (only NP3 Plus this time around). Wait for Robar to run one of their internet discounts (they do it a few times a year) and get the Norton Special.

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. Does anybody know when Robar runs this deal? How much would it cost too get a lower and upper receiver done? Would I have to ship to Robar through an FFL, or do they have one?

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. Does anybody know when Robar runs this deal? How much would it cost too get a lower and upper receiver done? Would I have to ship to Robar through an FFL, or do they have one?

Not sure when the next deal is, just keep watching their web site.

Here is a link to their price list http://robarguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Robar-Price-list-January-29-2014.pdf

I shipped my handgun directly to their company, they have a FFL

Here is a link to their web site Firearm Finishes, Custom Weapons, Gunsmithing | Robar

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    I have both
    I like both
    Metaloy does a Great job

Do the NP3 (not the plus, nice but not worth the price upgrade)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would consider NP3 for the inside if I felt the need for it, but I've found it to be too slippery for the exterior. Back in the 1990s I borrowed a very, very nice custom built 1911 to shoot some 1911 Society matches. The owner had won a certificate for NP3 from Robar and had it applied. Unfortunately, it made it difficult to hold onto the gun (no checkering on the front strap) or get a good grip on the slide to cycle the action. A little skateboard tape would have fixed that, but . . .

Top Bottom