• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    You mean like the Colts get a free ride from the state and city and I pay sales taxes on their behalf even though I don't care for Colt football? That kind of funding?

NPR competes for and receives grantsfrom CPB and federal agencies. Such funds may only beused for the purposes of the grant. The $204,723,265
    in operating revenues in FY2014 includes $325,000 incompetitive federal grant income and $1,078,000 in CPBcompetitive grants.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    You mean like the Colts get a free ride from the state and city and I pay sales taxes on their behalf even though I don't care for Colt football? That kind of funding?

I disagree with that also. Professional sports teams have learned they can extort money from the gubmint on the threat of moving to another city.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Detroit is a good example of where concealed carry rose and crime went down... I believe it was the chief of police who was taking a bit of heat for accrediting the drop in crime to armed citizens also.

Correlation does not mean causation. Just like the left uses statistics to manipulate the truth there may be more to this than an increase in concealed carry.

• Detroit's population is declining. Hard to stay "Murder Capital" when you do not have as many bodies to shoot.
    • Fleeing targets. Anyone with enough money has left, no one with anything to rob is left.
    • Bad people have left since there is no one left to steal from.
    • Corrupt city officials have been removed and some money is flowing into the city coffers. Perhaps the police department has a few more resources at their disposal.
    • Of course allowing citizens to legally take responsibility for their individual safety helps too.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I caught some of the program at the end of an errand run on the weekend.
    Listening to a panel of people trying to curtail my rights, and using my tax dollars to do it, is disturbing.
    When is the federally funded program about curtailing religious freedom, or against trial by jury going to come on?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why is it that liberals insist that those not of their political persuasion listen to their propaganda outlets?
    Don't like Fox News and don't watch it?
    Great, and I don't care.
    Don't like NPR?
    You can always count on a lib to berate and ridicule you for refusing to listen to it.

Why is it that when someone espouses a view that doesn't fit the hard-line conservative talking points they are labeled a liberal?

"nat'l propaganda radio". It's sooo far out in left field that it's on the other side of the fence.
    That's more than simply saying, "I don't like NPR".

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

It's not that the Colts aren't solvent. Indy just wants to keep them here. Wherever they go they will bring in $$$ for the community.

Not so much NPR and PBS etc. These were known to be money pits when they were created, but it was 'for a good cause'. Since they're taking out tax dollars, perhaps they should stay out of politics altogether. Or offer balanced programming. :):

The sun has set on the rationale for many out-dated government giveaways. Who cares what they broadcast. Just keep their cotton pickin' hands outta the public fisc.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Why is it that when someone espouses a view that doesn't fit the hard-line conservative talking points they are labeled a liberal?
    [...]

Says the guy who describes those who don't listen to NPR as "echo chamber" inhabitants.
    Also, if the shoe fits, wear it.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

Why is it that when liberals hear mainstream, middle of the road talking points they always label them "hard line conservative?"

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I listen to NPR quite a bit. They do lean a little left, but they also consistently have conservative guests and interviews. I find most NPR news programs well balanced and genuinely thought provoking.

I can't speak to the segment referenced in the OP since I didn't hear it, but I appreciate I can get different views without the guests yelling over each other.

I like shows like "Radio Lab", "the TED Radio Hour", "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me", "Marketplace", "A Way With Words" and others. They also have the best bump music of any radio station. Period.

I find that most who classify NPR as uber-liberal and hard left, haven't actually listened to it. That's not a knock on anyone here, just an opinion.

Top Bottom