• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    What: NRA Basic Pistol Course - Teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude for owning and operating a pistol safely.
    When: Saturday, April 14th from 7:45AM to approximately 5:30PM. With instruction beginning at 8:00AM sharp. Please plan to be there at least until 5:30, if not later.
    Where: Marion County Fish and Game. Directions can be found here.
    How long: At least 8 hours (5 hours classroom instruction and 3+ hours of range time).
    How Much: $120. A discount of $20 will be applied to each additional family member (spouse or child) that registers.
    Who: Chief Instructor: Chris Pope, NRA Certified Instructor, NRA Chief Range Safety Officer and MCF&G Safety Director. Assistant Instructor: Joe Cruz, NRA Certified Instructor, former Army Light Infantry, Military Police and civilian law enforcement officer.For More Information and to Register: visit my webpage: www.TrainToBeSafe.com

What is included in the course:
    - Knowledgeable, friendly, personal instruction in the classroom and on the range covering the safe and accurate use of a handgun from a certified instructor.
    - The NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Student packet includes: NRA Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting Handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules Brochure, Basic Practical Rocker and Flyer, Basic Firearm Training Program Brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program Booklet, Concealed Carry Holster Guide, Basic Pistol Student Exam, and Basic Pistol Course Certificate.
    - Extra stuff provided for the course:
    - Shooting goggles, shooting earmuffs, disposable foam earplugs.
    - Empty chamber flag.
    - Gun safety lock.
    - Notepad, pen, etc.
    - Coffee and donuts and a pizza lunch at no extra charge.
    - A safe, fun learning experience.

Some comments from my past students:

• [FONT=&quot]"Content, delivery, etc. - fantastic"[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]"Course was well laid out and the instructor was very knowledgeable and prepared."[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]"The entire crew was very positive and focused..."[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]"Awesome, exhilarating, absolutely fantastic. Chris is an awesome instructor, very knowledgeable and patient."
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]"Chris is a good instructor who enjoys what he does."[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]"Chris was an exceptionally good and personable instructor."[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]"[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The course cost was a great deal - materials, instruction, food and drinks, range time, etc."[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]"Slides were excellent, amount of discussion was excellent and having personal instruction on the firing range was outstanding. Just an excellent class."[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]"Chris - amazingly knowledgeable and patient and positive and supportive."[/FONT]
    Please feel free to PM me or send me an email at: info@TrainToBeSafe.com

I hope to see you there.

Last edited:

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Take this a completely unsolicited endorsement of Chris' course -- he and Joe do an AWESOME job! I took their course in November was very pleased. Chris has been doing this for a while and has gotten very good at it. I believe Joe is a newer instructor but is well versed in firearms and really enjoys his craft. They put on a great class and I highly recommend anyone on the fence to jump on over!

I'll sign up for the Personal Protection inside the home class when Chris offers it.

Last edited:

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Take this a completely unsolicited endorsement of Chris' course -- he and Joe do an AWESOME job! I took their course in November was very pleased. Chris has been doing this for a while and has gotten very good at it. I believe Joe is a newer instructor but is well versed in firearms and really enjoys his craft. They put on a great class and I highly recommend anyone on the fence to jump on over!

I'll sign up for the Personal Protection inside the home class when Chris offers it.

Perry, thanks for the kind words. I greatly appreciate. I am glad you enjoyed the class and hope it has helped you become a better shooter. I look forward to seeing you again. You are one of the best students I've had.

I have tentatively scheduled the Personal Protection in the Home course for Saturday, June 9th. I need to work out a few logistics for it but I really want to put one on. I'll of course post more information on INGO, my website: www.TrainToBeSafe.com as well as MCF&G's website as time get closer.

I am going to try something a little different for the April Basic Pistol course to see how it works...included with the course fee is an additional one-on-one session with me or Joe for up to 1/2 hour per person/couple. This would take place at MCF&G at a date/time that works for the student and Joe or me. This would be offered for a limited duration, something like 6 so months or so.

This is just a trial-based offering to see how it works and may or may not be repeated in future courses.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Does the course include revolvers or is it strictly pistol? Also, I have only one (1) handgun but would like my son (age 17) to attend with me. Can he attend without having a firearm?

Ben,
    Thanks for the interest in the course. The course covers both revolvers and semi-autos. We will go over both platforms, their difference, operation and safe shooting of each.

It's not a requirement to have a handgun to take the course. Actually, I advise those who are not gun-owners to not purchase one until they have taken the course. We will cover how to choose a handgun that is right for a particular use and shooter.

I have several handguns that will be available at no extra charge that you or your son are welcome to use. Please be sure to indicate that you need one "Special Needs" section of the online registration form.

Please feel free to contact me with any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Chris

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Cost is the same for members and non-members.

Great question. Yes, the cost is the same for members and non-members.

Also, I added that there is a $20 discount for each additional family member (spouse or child) that registers.

Is the cost the same for MCF&G members and non-members?

Tac45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    SS
    Very cool...my fiance is wanting to get into shooting, and I this would be perfect for her to attend! Hell, I may need to go for a "refresher" :D

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Very cool...my fiance is wanting to get into shooting, and I this would be perfect for her to attend! Hell, I may need to go for a "refresher" :D

This would be a great course for your fiance to be introduced to handguns. We have about 4 hours of classroom time where we cover this like the different types of handguns, the fundamentals of shooting positions, holds, stances and aiming. After lunch (which is provided at no extra cost) we go to the range to put into practice what was learned in the classroom. Students can try different handguns that I have available including .22lr, 9mm, .40 S&W, .38/.357 and more.

I've had experienced shooters take the course and they've stated that they learned a lot as well. Some folks have been shooting incorrectly for years because they never learned the fundamentals. If two people sign up at the same time, there is a $20 discount for the 2nd student, so this would apply if you both sign up.

Also, as I stated above I am trying something new where in addition to the range time during the course, you get an extra 30 minutes of one-on-one instruction with one of the instructors. I am hoping that this will reinforce what was taught as well as give each shooter an opportunity to ask questions and work on any challenges that they may have. This may not be offered in future courses, it depends on how it works out.

Also new for this course, I purchased two steel shooting tables that will give a much more stable platform from which to do the bench-rested shooting.

Feel free to email me with any questions or concerns: info@TrainToBeSafe.com

Sincerely,

Chris

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Thanks, sent the link to a young co-worker of mine that wants to get a firearm.

Thanks!! I appreciate the referral. Please let your co-worker know that he/she can email me at info@TrainToBeSafe.com with ANY questions or concerns and that I have handguns and ammunition available for use at no extra charge. As I stated previously, I encourage new shooters NOT to buy a handgun until they've taken the course. They'll learn a lot about what is available, what they like and don't like, and how to go about choosing a handgun for their particular needs and abilities.

Sincerely,

Chris

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    The interest in this class has been great!! Perhaps it's the the extra 30 minutes of one-on-one range time with one of our instructors. I am very excited about seeing how this works out. It should be great for the students.

There are only 3 slots remaining for this class, so if you are interested I'd recommend signing up sooner rather than later.

Just to clarify about the extra range time...it's an extra 30 minutes with one of our instructors and will be held at Marion County Fish and Game Association. It will be scheduled on a date after the day of the course at a time that is convenient for the student and instructor. There is a "soft" time limit of 6 months to schedule it within this, but it's flexible. We just don't want folks coming back 12 years later and saying they want to schedule the range session...although I'd probably be OK with even that. :)

The Basic Pistol course satisfies the training requirement for the Florida Concealed Weapon license.

Also, we have been planning our Personal Protection in the Home (PPITH) course that will be held on June 9th. The PPITH course has per-requisites in order to qualify for attending it. One way to satisfy the pre-req is to take the Basic Pistol course.

As always, please feel free to email with any questions: info@TrainToBeSafe.com or visit our website: www.TrainToBeSafe.com.

Thanks!!!

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Class is full

This class is now full. It went really fast, which is great. I am looking forward to meeting everyone. It should be a great time.

Thanks to everyone that signed up.

I'll be posting a thread for the Personal Protection in the Home course once I get everything set up.

Please feel free to email me or PM me with any questions.

Chris

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    A few slots have opened up

There are a few slots that have opened up due to folks not being able to make the course.

If you are interested, please send me an email at info@TrainToBeSafe.com and I will reply to you with the registration information. You can also email me with any questions you may have.

This will be on a first-come-first-serve basis.

As I stated previously, this class satisfies the training requirement for the Florida concealed firearm permit.

A reminder that we will be having the NRA Basic Personal Protection in the Home (PPITH) course on June 9th 2012 and the Basic Pistol course is one way to satisfy the pre-requisites for the PPITH class. We at Train To Be Safe are also developing our own custom defensive handgun courses which also will require taking a basic handgun course such as the Basic Pistol course.

Thanks and I hope to see you on Saturday, April 14th at 7:45AM for coffee, donuts and juice with instruction starting promptly at 8:00AM.

Chris

Top Bottom