• ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Which renders Rule #1 useless.

Traditional rule #1 was useless, it can't be rendered any more or less so by any class rules that have nothing to do with the rules for safe gun handling.

Wouldn't it be nice if the NRA actually followed the Four Rules instead of pretending that they are too smart for them?

Their 3 Rules for Safe Gun Handling are superior, refined. It wouldn't be smart to cling to the old set without good reasons to back up the choice.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    And now the great ATM shows up. The 4 work just fine for the majority. Of course, by the time you debated everyone to sleep in the class there wouldn't be much going on to have an unsafe environment. Obviously, 3 is acceptable, too. What matters isn't the count, but the end result. Again, I'd rather be effective than right. But,what do I know?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The "news" reported it as a safety training, but given the track record of "news" reporting around guns doesn't mean diddly squat - it could have been any sort of training. All I see is someone shot himself when reholstering. Which means it was a ND, and no one was killed, so... As to the four rules - does anyone reholster an unloaded gun? :dunno: I don't see any safety violation except the guy got sloppy with reholstering.

Arguing about 3 or 4 misses the point - no one is immune to a ND and you must always be vigilant. I didn't see anything in this article where anyone is claiming the gun wasn't loaded, so let's save that argument for another time.

BBI nailed - this stuff happens so be extra careful in this procedure, especially with hammerless guns. My procedure is to holster my XD with my hand in a position that leaves the grip safety clear - my hand covers it, but doesn't depress it.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    And now the great ATM shows up. The 4 work just fine for the majority. Of course, by the time you debated everyone to sleep in the class there wouldn't be much going on to have an unsafe environment. Obviously, 3 is acceptable, too. What matters isn't the count, but the end result. Again, I'd rather be effective than right. But,what do I know?

I don't know what you know. Are you a firearms trainer?

The point ATM (and I) is making is that three rules is more effective than four rules.

However, in reality I don't think this is applicable in the situation; someone just wanted to try and stir up trouble... and sleeping dogs are best left to sleep.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I don't know what you know. Are you a firearms trainer?
    Was.

The point ATM (and I) is making is that three rules is more effective than four rules.
    It may make more sense on the drawing board but, and this could be a big but, it isn't in use by the military or by the majority of police agencies(places where people who's profession is it to handle pea shooters), so...how many converts will be needed to say that 3 rules equals more effective than 4? It may be right, but can you claim effective?

However, in reality I don't think this is applicable in the situation; someone just wanted to try and stir up trouble... and sleeping dogs are best left to sleep.

edit: please forgive the quote issue. Still learning to use the phone and all of ingo functions together

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    And now the great ATM shows up.

Of course. :)

The 4 work just fine for the majority.

Obviously, so would 5 or any higher number, but three are sufficient and make the most sense.

Of course, by the time you debated everyone to sleep in the class there wouldn't be much going on to have an unsafe environment.

Ha! I don't think anyone's going to fall asleep in one of my classes.
    Obviously, 3 is acceptable, too.

I already mentioned that.

What matters isn't the count, but the end result.

No, the count also matters.
    Again, I'd rather be effective than right.

I am rightly effective.

But,what do I know?

What someone once told you?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    During a firearms safety course??? :facepalm:

Why do they even need a loaded gun for such a course? :dunno:

I assume they just teach you the 4 gun safety rules and it doesn't involved any shooting.

NRA basic pistol courses have live fire portions. For the classroom portions there should be no ammunition in the room.

The NRA HQ has a very nice indoor range. I've shot there a few times. 50 yd IIRC. Even allowing CF rifle. There's also a very nice museum on location. A worthwhile stop if you are in the area.

-rvb

Big Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    :laugh: Funny....but not.....just gives the anti-gun activists more to ***** about! Off the topic though the NRA Museum is very cool.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    :laugh: Funny....but not.....just gives the anti-gun activists more to ***** about! Off the topic though the NRA Museum is very cool.

Do you mean the National Firearms Museum? Yes, that is awesome! I haven't been to another operated by the NRA.

At the museum I gained an appreciation for custom firearms and engraving. There are some talented pea shooter artists

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This incident is blowing up all over social media. Best report I have seen said an NRA employee, male, 46 suffered a minor wound to his lower body and was treated at the hospital. The gun discharged as he was reholstering. The employee was injured during firearms training. Does not say if he was an instructor or a participant in the said training. It also does not say the extent of the injury. It did point out that no charges were to be filed.

I know nothing more about this incident but:
    1) The NRA does conduct training other then basic safety courses. This includes personal protection, defensive pistol and law enforcement courses.
    2) A minor injury to the lower body could be as simple as grazing the leg. Still a negligent discharge and unfortunately happens all to often. But does not necessarily mean unsafe behavior occurred or that any other person was endangered. The injury may have been more serious. Regardless SOP would be to send the guy to the hospital and my guess is that if he was an employee he also got to pee in the cup.
    3) The media hates us and "man shoots himself at NRA headquarters" draws more clicks then "dumby booger hooked the trigger and got an ouchy"
    4) Arguing about 3 vs 4 rules is akin to a disagreement about whether Salma Hayek or Sofia Vergara has better ****. I mean come on!! Either way I'm drinking the tequila.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    OOPS. If only he was pocket carrying, this never would have happened! (Purple if you need it)

NRA frowns on pocket holsters, ankle holsters, crossdraw holsters, shoulder holsters, boobie holsters and crotch holsters for training classes. Strong side on the belt or properly designed purse is allowed. Interestingly enough they do have books, poster and discussion about all of those other holster types. They also specifically discuss pocket guns in the defensive pistol courses. So the NRA recognizes and even puts their logo on all the silly contraptions that consumers buy to pack their gats, but for class nothing that lets muzzles point up range or down the line or that does not cover the trigger.

I see your purple and choose to ignore it.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    ... Still a negligent discharge and unfortunately happens all to often. But does not necessarily mean unsafe behavior occurred or that any other person was endangered. ...

As you correctly point out, it was a NEGLIGENT discharge, as there is no such thing as an accidental discharge. However, if a negligent discharge occurred, then by definition unsafe behavior DID occur, and unsafe behavior definitely did endanger at least one person. Employee should be fired. No excuses, especially for the NRA.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    As you correctly point out, it was a NEGLIGENT discharge, as there is no such thing as an accidental discharge. However, if a negligent discharge occurred, then by definition unsafe behavior DID occur, and unsafe behavior definitely did endanger at least one person. Employee should be fired. No excuses, especially for the NRA.

Devils Advocate here. What safety rule 4 or 3 do we know was broken?

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    This happened in connersville at a gun shop... The chief of police there went to holster his issued Glock and met with some obstruction, rather than pulling it out and looking he smacked down on the back of it to get it in and boom shot himself in the leg... Apparently a pull cord on his jacked got in the trigger guard. If it does not go in like normal take the time to pull it out and reholster when you are secure.

Top Bottom