NRA: Gun blogs, videos, web forums (INGO!) threatened by new Obama regulations.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    Wow, what ever happened to Freedom of Speech? This is why I didnt vote for Obama, I remember when he was first elected how much guns and ammo prices hiked up! A G22 (which is what we carried in the Police Dept I worked for) went from around $450 with discount to almost $600 if I remember correctly!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    This administration is trying to foment civil unrest.
    I don't think this proposal will get much further than the ban on M855 did, and will likely generate MUCH more public dissent.

Keep your eyes and ears open though, and let your congress-critters hear you loud and clear.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    If it is as described by the NRA, INGO would be reduced the Breakroom and Political subsforums. :laugh:
    You mean there's more to INGO than that?

It says this is all in reference to "ITAR controlled technical data". What's the specific regs on what technical data that is? They're acting like it's anything and everything to do with firearms, but I'd like confirmation.

EDIT: Found it. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/22/120.10 and here's the definition of "public domain" which is the issue at hand. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/22/120.11 looks like they can make the case that the internet falls under category (7) fairly easily.

Does it require an act of legislation to clarify this definition, or is this something that could be done by the agency concerned with these regulations such as with the M855 ban?

I wouldn't be so quick to just brush this off.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    22 CFR seems to reference foreign relations exclusively. IANAL but it seems that they would have to reference the complaint to information about making/modifying weapons being used/intercepted by non-US actors, which of course the internet could readily allow. It seems like it would be a stretch but better to head it off legislatively than fight in court.

They can have my INGO when they pry my cold dead fingers from my keyboard

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I designed a new firearm as open source hardware and published the design specs on the Internet, that's my first amendment rights just as much as Phil Zimmerman was within his rights to write his own cryptography software and publish the source code on the Internet. Zimmerman never offered compiled, runnable programs, and I would not be exporting physical, fireable guns. ITAR can kiss my ass on this score.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    I've been here since the Muslim in Chief's LAST gun scare. I remember a couple members here being supporters of this Dictator. Seems as if you don't see them posting their drivel here anymore. I remember when he was running to be the Fuerher he said there was a problem with the Constitution, that it limited the government too much. He's living proof that he was totally wrong. It doesn't go far enough to limit the government. Especially the government we have now.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The old "what can we "appear" to be doing about the problem without really getting up off our asses and doing anything?" Sounds like a pretty clear case of First Amendment violation to me. Next they'll be having public book burnings. For the children.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If I designed a new firearm as open source hardware and published the design specs on the Internet, that's my first amendment rights just as much as Phil Zimmerman was within his rights to write his own cryptography software and publish the source code on the Internet. Zimmerman never offered compiled, runnable programs, and I would not be exporting physical, fireable guns. ITAR can kiss my ass on this score.

I think a greyer area would be say some of the info available to take existing weapons and modify them for greater accuracy at longer ranges. Its a real stretch but that seems to be a hallmark of this admin.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    With a law like this actually on the books, a violation basically consists of whatever the hell they say it is. Any of the stretches just described would also apply to reloading data for anything and everything and any type of gunsmithing work, including simple diagnoses. Its funny, in my more paranoid days, when the feeling of that wonderful search warrant was still fresh in my mind, I wondered just when they would come for the actual information. Already they look sideways at you for simply explaining how open or closed bolt machineguns or suppressors work. Now we can all be felons! Yay!

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    With a law like this actually on the books, a violation basically consists of whatever the hell they say it is. Any of the stretches just described would also apply to reloading data for anything and everything and any type of gunsmithing work, including simple diagnoses. Its funny, in my more paranoid days, when the feeling of that wonderful search warrant was still fresh in my mind, I wondered just when they would come for the actual information. Already they look sideways at you for simply explaining how open or closed bolt machineguns or suppressors work. Now we can all be felons! Yay!
    Exactly! What info could terrorists find on a site like INGO that they don't already have anyway? Technical details on an AR? They've been in circulation for 50 years, they already have them in hand.

Top Bottom