• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    I got my NRA Truth About Gun Owners Poll in the mail today.

I keep trying to figure the first question out.

"Right now, Indiana is among the 40 states that respect the right of law-aiding citizens to obtain a permit and carry a concealed firearm for self-defense. Do you support preserving Right-to-Carry for Indiana citizens?"

I have a right to get a permit?

Hmm. I support the second sentence. Carrying a firearm is a right. However, the first sentence is false. It should read ""Right now, Indiana is among the 40 states that respect the privilege of law-aiding citizens to obtain a permit(License) and carry a concealed firearm for self-defense."

The way it is written implies that the NRA believes that I should first get permission from the state in order to exercise a right.

I am going to call the NRA-ILA today and ask them if this is an official NRA stance. You can't compromise a right.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    It is my understanding that originally, a gentleman carried openly (and no, this is not an OC/CC thread!) for the defense of himself and his family. When CCW permits first began, it was because those who concealed their firearms were seen as being sneaky or otherwise untrustworthy-Why would you conceal your firearm any more than you would conceal the chain from your pocket watch?- but as such things happen, permits began to become more of a requirement to exercise the right at all. Note that I do not support this concept, but I bring it up because as explained, originally, the right to bear arms meant that you did so openly. Concealment was the privilege. :twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just re re re read it and I do see what you are getting at. Very poorly worded.

The permit is a privilege that you shouldn't need because you have a right to keep and bear arms that shall not be infringed. The need for a permit is an infringement.

Letter to NRA later today.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    "Right now, Indiana is among the 40 states that respect the right of law-aiding citizens to obtain a permit and carry a concealed firearm for self-defense. Do you support preserving Right-to-Carry for Indiana citizens?"
    "Right now, Indiana is among the 40 states that provide law-aiding citizens the means to obtain a permit and carry a () firearm for self-defense. Do you support restoring the Right-to-Carry for Indiana citizens?"

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    "Right now, Indiana is among the 40 states that provide law-aiding citizens the means to obtain a permit and carry a () firearm for self-defense. Do you support restoring the Right-to-Carry for Indiana citizens?"

Very nice! I want to answer this question. :yesway:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :puke: NRA = No Rifles Anymore
    NRA like UNIONS are really just looking out for their leadership and sadly not the welfare of their members. :xmad:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    The NRA is wording it to not be offensive to the POLs. By including the word "permit" they are making the POL feel that (s)he has a voice in who is able to obtain and firearm and who is not.

If you make your opponent feel that they have input into resolving a a problem they are more likely to side with you.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    I called the NRA-ILA.

The gentleman took my concerns regarding the poor wording; then we talked about the NRA's stance on the permit system.

The NRA is working to get a shall issue system in all states that currently prevent carry or seriously restrict it.

Whether they work to remove the permit/licensing systems is dependent on the incorporation of the 2nd Amendment.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Well, considering that one can carry a long gun w/o a LTC, but to carry a handgun requires a LTC, it would seem that the long gun would be the "right", while carrying a handgun would seem to be a privilege. Not that I agree, it just seems to be the case. :dunno:

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I have never understood why we have to have weapon permit's when it is our 2nd right to carry, isn't that wrong? When I get taken to jail for carrying and go to court, it should get dismissed because of my 2nd right. How can a court over step this right?

Top Bottom