• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The Indiana Natural Resources Commission on Tuesday approved preliminary adoption of DNR recommended rule changes for deer hunting.

You may now give input on this proposal to the NRC at -

http://www.in.gov/nrc/2377.htm

It is under the Deer Amendments..

Do it today....

Here are all the links I could find pertaining to the new deer proposal

Administrative Rule (Regulation) Changes

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2362.htm

Rule language

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-Deer_Rule_NRC_Preliminary_Jan_2011.pdf

Commonly asked questions regarding the Deer Proposal

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-Deer_Proposal_Fact_Sheet_Jan2011.pdf

2010 & proposed Deer season comparison chart

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-DeerSeasonProposal.pdf

Let your voice be heard!

jbwhttail

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    While the comment period for proposal #1 was open the Representatives of the Sportsmen Roundtable criss crossed the state holding open meetings with sportsmen explaining the reasoning of the plan and listening to their comments. When all the meetings were completed one comment was by far the most common, "I'm not seeing the deer I use to". Followed closely by "Deer may be a problem in small pockets but not state-wide. If we had access we could reduce those problem areas".

Here is the delima, nothing about the proposals in round #2 addresses access. Nothing about crossbow is strategic reduction in problem areas, it is state wide. In a conversation with Chad Stewart on December 28,2010 a question was asked by one of the stakeholders on the harvest for 2010. Chad said we were LOWER than last year at that date. 108,000 deer had been taken to date with some check stations not reporting any yet. There were 5 days left of late archery also. 2009 harvest was over 132,000 deer he expected this years harvest to be around 125,000 when all numbers were in. Indiana had fantastic weather, an earliest on record crop harvest, why the shortfall on the projected harvest? Numbers will be finished by early March but there WILL NOT be another record or near record harvest.

So this begs the question, did we hit the top in 2009 and now have a declining herd? I know one year does not make a trend, but two more years would give solid data. I'm asking DNR and the NRC to take a step back and wait on any changes until after the 2012 season. If after that time make changes they deem needed. To add a late antlerless season and crossbow at this point would only be adding "opportunity" not a strategic deer reduction.

Furthermore, a part of the first proposal was an early antlerless season in October for counties with a bonus number of 4 or more. DNR wanted a 9 day season while the stakeholders asked for a two day weekend hunt. Now remember this was a GUN hunt. Where did that strategic hunt go? Why was it not made a 9 day hunt as DNR wanted originally in this new proposal? We all know that gun hunting would have taken more antlerless deer in two days than the crossbow will in all seasons combined?

As people comment I hope they take into consideration the lower kill this year, we may be on the decline today. If all you are interested in is more days of opportunity then fine. But if it is strategic target of problem deer areas we need to wait until the hunter access group is finshed this summer. We have new legislation being considered this year to protect landowners, it is House Bill 1133 if people are interested. This came from the working group in a couple meetings.

As we all know once a rule gets approved we can never go back, we learned that in rule proposal #1. Make comments to the NRC here...

john0286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Actually once a plan gets full adoption it gets implemented in to a 5 year trial period. I will be writing the commission to ask that they make a permanent adoption of the plan as soon as possible. The shot down plan we saw last year was taking away from Indiana deer hunters however the new plan is giving to us. Giving us more opportunities ( extra antlerless firearms season) allowing more equipment(1.8 in cartridge length, allowing crossbows in early archery) also allowing the opportunity for cheaper licenses with the bundle option. The plan for doe reduction is NOT just for problem areas with problem deer its for the entire state. To reduce deer vehicle collisions, improve vegetation in wildlife habitat, keep deer from over running urban areas, and should help improve your heards size and age.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    While the comment period for proposal #1 was open the Representatives of the Sportsmen Roundtable criss crossed the state holding open meetings with sportsmen explaining the reasoning of the plan and listening to their comments. When all the meetings were completed one comment was by far the most common, "I'm not seeing the deer I use to". Followed closely by "Deer may be a problem in small pockets but not state-wide. If we had access we could reduce those problem areas".

Then why did you start pushing people to contact their legislators (which you said that you woudl never do)asking for full implementation of center fire rifles instead of crossbows? You stated that they would “get the job done”. A job that you now says doesn’t need to be done?

BTW – Gene refused to discuss any crossbow implementation. Why was that?

Here is the delima, nothing about the proposals in round #2 addresses access.

Nothing in proposal #1 addressed access either, did it?

Did you not tell everyone that a group is working on that?

Nothing about crossbow is strategic reduction in problem areas, it is state wide.

Not true. The crossbowers will be hunting right along side of the UDZ bowhunters form September 15th through January 31st. They will be under the same restraints as the vertical bowhunters on an earn A Buck.

In a conversation with Chad Stewart on December 28,2010 a question was asked by one of the stakeholders on the harvest for 2010. Chad said we were LOWER than last year at that date. 108,000 deer had been taken to date with some check stations not reporting any yet. There were 5 days left of late archery also. 2009 harvest was over 132,000 deer he expected this years harvest to be around 125,000 when all numbers were in.

Per Chad Stewart – “Harvest estimates during the hunting season are extremely difficult, as it is completely dependent upon check station reporting, which tends to vary year to year. That is why there are no updates throughout the season. As the deer season concludes, we get more feedback as check stations return their records back to our office. We have received over 2,000 records in the past 3 days, so our “running total” changes drastically and daily at this time of the year. I would say that we may not eclipse the record set last year at this point, but these records will continue to come into our office over the next two weeks, so where it stops is strictly conjecture. I would say that the total number, whatever it may be, is not going to be important as the composition of the harvest, which is even further out from being identified.”

Indiana had fantastic weather, an earliest on record crop harvest, why the shortfall on the projected harvest? Numbers will be finished by early March but there WILL NOT be another record or near record harvest.

Fantastic weather? The muzzleloader season weather was horrendous. Not a whole lot of folks venturing out. I don’t know about your are but we had a bumper crop of acorns that deer could choose from and not move much at all. There are many reasons of up and down harvests including less hunters. Chad knows that deer harvest can be cyclical and could very well bounce back next year if they are down much at all this last season. No, you are using incomplete data to try and railroad a proposal that you had no part in making.

So this begs the question, did we hit the top in 2009 and now have a declining herd?

See above.

I know one year does not make a trend, but two more years would give solid data. I'm asking DNR and the NRC to take a step back and wait on any changes until after the 2012 season. If after that time make changes they deem needed. To add a late antlerless season and crossbow at this point would only be adding "opportunity" not a strategic deer reduction.

This has gone on for over a year and half. It appears that it will go on for the rest of the year. Time to put this very divisive puppy to bed. Control of how many deer can be killed in a certain area can still controlled by the number of bonus permits issued for that county. We still have the OBR so no matter how much opportunity is given, we can only take that one buck.What difference does it make what we kill taht buck with. As you once said," A dead buck is a dead buck".

Furthermore, a part of the first proposal was an early antlerless season in October for counties with a bonus number of 4 or more. DNR wanted a 9 day season while the stakeholders asked for a two day weekend hunt. Now remember this was a GUN hunt. Where did that strategic hunt go? Why was it not made a 9 day hunt as DNR wanted originally in this new proposal?

Maybe because the DNR and NRC had numerous complaints during the input session from bowhunters about guns in October? After the shortening and moving the gun season and the shortening of the muzzleloader season the guns in October was the next biggest complaint. With crossbows the present day bowhunters wont even know that another hunter is in the woods unless they happen to bump into each other.

We all know that gun hunting would have taken more antlerless deer in two days than the crossbow will in all seasons combined?

You know that how? Ohio crossbow hunters kill close to 50,000 deer last year. Total archery kill was over 92,000.

As people comment I hope they take into consideration the lower kill this year, we may be on the decline today.

And it could be a normal cyclical harvest too, right?

If all you are interested in is more days of opportunity then fine.

That and what most are concerned about is the taking away of opportunity that proposal #1 offered.

But if it is strategic target of problem deer areas we need to wait until the hunter access group is finshed this summer.

Oh, I thought you posted that hunter access was not included in proposal #2? It was not in either proposal but a separate subject to be dealt with, right? Why the stall tactic?

We have new legislation being considered this year to protect landowners, it is House Bill 1133 if people are interested. This came from the working group in a couple meetings.

Good deal. Of course anyone hunting a piece of property now can sign a waiver and maybe even have insurance to cover any happenings. QDMA offers some great coverage.

As we all know once a rule gets approved we can never go back, we learned that in rule proposal #1.

Uh, no. This is a 5 year trial. You know that.

Make comments to the NRC here...

Yes, please do..no matter what side of the fence that you are on. Hunters spoke loud and clear on the first proposal. As the president of the Indiana Sportsman's Roundtable said," The process worked". Let's keep it working. For too long decissiosn was made in Indianapolis by a select few. They are listening to US now. Keep it up.

jbwhttail

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Willie:

Here is a thought.......... you spin as you want and I will tell the truth.

Fact is Woody has one issue and always has........... crossbow! When he has that in all archery seasons he will become history.

Only person I have known who chooses a crossbow as item he wants buried with.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Willie:

Here is a thought.......... you spin as you want and I will tell the truth.

Same old Joe. Cant rebut anything..You sure are a study in contrasts.. one might even say flip flops.You type stuff up and expect people to swallow it without question. When you are questioned you don't respond.

Fact is Woody has one issue and always has........... crossbow! When he has that in all archery seasons he will become history.

Nope.. Going back over the years it was extending the archery seasons until the end of the year and allow archers to take a buck during the late season. That was back when I was President of Blackhawk.

Supported allowing crossbowers to take a buck in the late archery season.

Lately it was supporting the youth weekend. Then allowing the youths to take a buck (which I supported from day one)

Then it was being active in the deer shooting preserve front

Then it was PCR legalization.

Then the ill fated proposal #1.

Ther are other things down the road too.

Only person I have known who chooses a crossbow as item he wants buried with.

LOL.. the thread on HUNTING INDIANA - Home was about what people would like to be buried with if they could choose just one item.. I think I said I wanted to be buried with a TenPoint crossbow year model of 2060. I'm 71 and that would make me 121 . It was about life longevity Joe..sorry that flew right over your head.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    hmmm. Not sure HB 1133 actually helps landowners. We have assumption of the risk as a viable defense already in Indiana. Now in order to avail yourself of some form of statutory protection a specific sign must be posted. I understand what this does for commercial u pick em berry patches etc but for the landowner allowing hunters it appears to me I will need to post even more unsightly signs in my woods? gotta think on this one. Not sure if any more protection is provided than under general negligence law or whether creating a statutory protection places additional burdens upon landowners to get what they already had.

Last edited:

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    The Indiana Natural Resources Commission on Tuesday approved preliminary adoption of DNR recommended rule changes for deer hunting.

Do it today....

Rule language

Let your voice be heard!
    bump...:patriot:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The NRC has recieved approximately 350 pieces of input as of 03-08-2011. The results so far are not overwhelming one way or the other like it was in proposal #1. So, if you are for or against this proposal now is the time to let your voice be heard.

Do it today....

Rule language

Let your voice be heard!

builder_one

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    If these current amendments are indeed adopted around what month would it be finalized? (I am aware that the actual rule changes wouldn't go into effect until the '12 season). By chance would the pathetic AWOL democrats in the state house cause these current amendments to die? I'm really liking the new equipment change proposals as well as the season adjustments and am hoping everything passes.

Top Bottom