2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I saw Alex V at Menard yesterday.

We need to get together at winnemac one of these days soon so James and Alex and I can sit around and gab.

I had Aldi perogies and chicken strips for dinner just now dinner. $10 - $12 sure beats going out to eat for 3 people.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    @actaeon277 - thanks for the info. Don't know the details of what they want to put in. They are in the survey stage for the first areas, which includes where we live. I've got to wait and stay informed

First, they were going to rip up the streets and driveways to put city water in some subdivisions, and do the sewer setup in other subdivisions.
    THEN, next election cycle they were going to rip up streets and driveways to those same subdivisions to finish the job.
    So, they wanted to get as many people as possible so that they could say "look what I did for you. Vote for me in November".

So, at one of the meeting, in front of a BUNCH of people, I called them out on it.
    I told them, our subdivision is low traffic (you've seen it), and we don't get a street redone in THIRTY YEARS.
    And NOW they were going to give us a new street TWICE in TWO (maybe it was FOUR) years.
    Why not get half as many people, and then do the city water AND the sewer at the SAME TIME?

By putting in both services, I could have the plumber work on both projects.
    Each project is cheaper, because he's already there. Doesn't need to drive to the site, and set up.
    ALSO, by hooking up with other neighbors to use the same guy, we got a bigger discount because he could go from house to house.
    He got more done, we saved more.

But, it still hurt the pocket book a bit.
    Not so much for me because of the overtime.
    But older people, yikes.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

We need to get together at winnemac one of these days soon so James and Alex and I can sit around and gab.

I had Aldi perogies and chicken strips for dinner just now dinner. $10 - $12 sure beats going out to eat for 3 people.
    You know, you guys could SHOOT at the range?

Also, maybe meet somewhere and eat?

But, we DO have a new guy or two.
    Maybe we need a M&S or M&E

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    You know, you guys could SHOOT at the range?

Also, maybe meet somewhere and eat?

But, we DO have a new guy or two.
    Maybe we need a M&S or M&E
    I'm thinking a meet and shoot at Winamac for the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. Could meet and shoot and then do an meet and eat for an early dinner at One Eyed Jack's restaurant. They have a pork tenderloin sandwich that can feed you for 3 days

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Storm drains, or house waste?

I had my house waste taken off the septic system.
    But instead of the normal system, we got high pressure system.
    Everyone has a pump on the house. The city paid for the pump, IF you connected during a certain timeframe. If you waited, and then connected, you had to pay for the pump, which was $6,000.
    Either way, you had to pay an electrician and a plumber to hook up the pump.

And now, if the pump breaks, you get to pay for that. :xmad:
    I've had my pump replaced once so far.
    Did your property tax also increase since you modernized the place

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Did your property tax also increase since you modernized the place

In their infinite wisdom, they raised our taxes ahead of time
    It was "to save us money".
    But, when they said "us", they meant "them".
    So for a couple years, I was taxed as having water and sewer, even though I didn't.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    F..
    A...

Leeches.... ugh
    Oh you should have seen it when the first pumps started breaking.

People complained they had to pay, when the city pays for the other system to get fixed.
    The city told us "You wanted this".
    I was quiet up to that point.
    So I had to stand up, and tell them we were told we'd pay now, or pay MORE later.
    Because we picked paying now, does NOT mean we WANTED it.
    We were FORCED between 2 bad choices.

The city maintains the pumps in the "normal" or "older" or "low pressure" systems.
    They should maintain ours.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Oh you should have seen it when the first pumps started breaking.

People complained they had to pay, when the city pays for the other system to get fixed.
    The city told us "You wanted this".
    I was quiet up to that point.
    So I had to stand up, and tell them we were told we'd pay now, or pay MORE later.
    Because we picked paying now, does NOT mean we WANTED it.
    We were FORCED between 2 bad choices.

The city maintains the pumps in the "normal" or "older" or "low pressure" systems.
    They should maintain ours.
    Reminds jedi of the house in Griffith. The town redid the curbs and in the process the "ramp" that goes into everyone's drive way now a bump as the curb was not to the same level.

Town said it was not their problem.
    Had to hire a cement company to grind down the curb for $800 so the van could get in without going over a big bump.

Oh and thr curb project each household had to either pay $1000 up front or pay $1700 over the course of 2 years split into 24 payments on the water bill.

The curbs were fine before the upgrade.
    Again
    F......
    A.......

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Just a feeler for now. Anyone interested in a meet n shoot at Winamac FWA on Saturday Sept. 3rd?

I plan on making the trip regardless as a friend and his daughter that I taught to shoot are ready for more. Will also possibly meet my Daughter and SIL there as well.

Possibly meet for dinner at One Eye Jack's in Winamac as well afterwards for those interested

Will start a thread if there's enough interest

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Just a feeler for now. Anyone interested in a meet n shoot at Winamac FWA on Saturday Sept. 3rd?

I plan on making the trip regardless as a friend and his daughter that I taught to shoot are ready for more. Will also possibly meet my Daughter and SIL there as well.

Possibly meet for dinner at One Eye Jack's in Winamac as well afterwards for those interested

Not with traders like you with a MOD tag. ;)

JamesV

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    The Region

Yes sir, she told me she seen you. Was out running with her dad.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Have to check with the boss to see if we have any plans.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Oh the humanity!!!!!
    I tend to watch for the sales they seem to always have on memorial day, July fourth, and Labor Day to stock up myself.
    Got 4 50# bags of the lump charcoal from our church as they no longer roast the hogs for hog roasts a year ago. Got a Kamado Joe last month. Have enough charcoal for awhile.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom