• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I just don't see the point in it and I don't see any gained benefit.

It does what a 7.62x39 does, and that round is cheap, easy to find and platforms for that round exist everywhere so why not thread those barrels?

123gr is all you'll find there, supersonic. In an AR, you need a bolt, mags, barrel.

It is not legal for hunting so it doesn't work for me on that level, where a 458 Socom would be a better choice. And that could use the same can as any number of 45acp pistols in the safe.

I don't hunt deer. Less in the mag. Need new whole new upper.

If I want to punch paper or ring gongs a 223 will do that. So will a 6.5 Grendel. One is cheaper and easier to find. The other may not work well with a can, but is an amazingly versatile round with bullet weights that go from varmint to big game and has proven itself with clean 1 shot kills on Elk at 400 yards, Antelope at 750+ yards and steel plates at 1000 yards without punishing recoil. Why not shoot .308?

Bigger holes then.223, supersonic, same abundance of brass. 6.5, supersonic, new upper, bolt, mags. Could have bought a .308 by now.

I've got 9mm Carbines which are an answer to a question that nobody asked, but which are fun to shoot, cheap to shoot and can be suppressed easily, and then the same can could be fitted to any number of pistols in the safe.

They ARE fun. You didn't ask to see it before you bought it? And quality cans can handle subsonic .300blk as well.

So again, I see no real point in the 300 AAC Blackout. That's fine, you don't have to. They seem to be doing okay. It does not do anything that I can't do with the short Russian. Reload. Swap a barrel, load a mag. It falls short of the Grendel by every measurement. Even supersonic crack, and cost of upper, etc. It costs more than the 5.56 while offer no real practical advantages for a civilian. I think a few where named. Its not going to do much more than a 9mm or 45acp when it comes up against a paper or steel target at sub-sonic velocities depends on how far you're shooting with a can and its going to cost more doing it. Same can. I haven't seen any round go through paper better.

Again, ZERO reason to consider it. YMMV

Abundance of components, just need a barrel, better BC then pistol rounds, quiet or loud with the switch of a standard AR mag. But I count differently.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Andy, those poor people are living proof that our public education is a complete failure and it also shows us what can happen when some one hasn't had their meds before going out for the day...

KLB and Actaeon, I don't like the electronic earmuffs for indoor use, they seem to allow more of the noise to make it through in the echo chamber your in while shooting indoors.
    Who said anything about indoors? :):

Indoors I double up. My current electronic are -30Db and I add plugs. Out here I don't have to worry about it. Those should work well for guests.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Abundance of components, just need a barrel, better BC then pistol rounds, quiet or loud with the switch of a standard AR mag. But I count differently.

In an earlier post you said: RELOAD.
    In this post you complain that all you can find in 7.62x39 is 123gr supersonic.
    Notice any hypocrisy in your posts? For the record, I do reload. I also have multiple 7.62x39 rifles, both semi-auto and bolt action.

In this post you said you don't hunt, you'd need another upper for 458 and that there are fewer in the magazine.
    I said many of us can reach into our safes and get what we need. Already have 458 Socom guns, already have the treaded barrel. Yes, fewer in the magazine... so what?

You asked why not shoot 308?
    I had already pointed out that the 6.5 Grendel does all the things listed WITHOUT the recoil of bigger cartridges. The 308 is a bigger cartridge. Almost double the recoil impulse. Uses lots more powder. Costs more to shoot. Need I go on?

You then said "bigger holes" blah blah blah
    Again, I already pointed out that many of us can simply reach into our safe and get a suitable alternative. Many of us already have have multiple guns in several calibers that are equal or vastly superior to the 300 AAC Blackout. I have already pointed out that I wouldn't have to buy another and add another caliber to the safe, this is true for many others here. Why add another caliber when we have options already?

You said they are fun.
    Is that to imply that others are not? I think all mine are fun. Silencers are fun. Full auto is fun. Single shot big bore is fun too.

Then you repeated points that had already been beaten to death. Reload. (how many times can you say that?) Swap a bolt. Buy an upper. Blah blah blah.
    As I said, I do reload. Wore out my first Dillon. Been reloading for as long as you have been alive. As for the other stuff, WHY when I can reach into a safe and get a whole gun and have calibers that already do about the same thing, give or take a bit. Some better, some cheaper, some not so good but adequate.

Do you want to argue calibers, how about we argue about the 40S&W next? I don't have any of those. Plenty of 9mm and plenty of 45acp. No 40. Oh the shame I must feel. How inadequate is my life that I missed out on the 40. Whoa is me. But there are very rational reasons to skip calibers when you already have others that surround the one discussed.

So to use your technique of tireless repetition, let me reiterate one more time. I see ZERO reason for many of us to ever consider the 300 AAC Blackout as a supressor host or even as a caliber to add to our safes.

Last edited:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Different strokes for different folks. I don't own any x39 rifles and dislike the Ak pattern. I don't even have a dog in this fight, as I don't own a rifle that shoots the 300. I am building one for the following reasons:1. It shoots .308 bullets and I have plenty.2. I can use my .223 brass and I have more than plenty.3. It can be made VERY short while still functioning.4. It seems the industry is moving towered it as a viable option. I passed on a .41ae witness because of the lack of support.
    In an earlier post you said: RELOAD.In this post you complain that all you can find in 7.62x39 is 123gr supersonic. Notice any hypocrisy in your posts? For the record, I do reload. I also have multiple 7.62x39 rifles, both semi-auto and bolt action.In this post you said you don't hunt, you'd need another upper for 458 and that there are fewer in the magazine.I said many of us can reach into our safes and get what we need. Already have 458 Socom guns, already have the treaded barrel. Yes, fewer in the magazine... so what? You asked why not shoot 308? I had already pointed out that the 6.5 Grendel does all the things listed WITHOUT the recoil of bigger cartridges. The 308 is a bigger cartridge. Almost double the recoil impulse. Uses lots more powder. Costs more to shoot. Need I go on?You then said "bigger holes" blah blah blahAgain, I already pointed out that many of us can simply reach into our safe and get a suitable alternative. Many of us already have have multiple guns in several calibers that are equal or vastly superior to the 300 AAC Blackout. I have already pointed out that I wouldn't have to buy another and add another caliber to the safe, this is true for many others here. Why add another caliber when we have options already?You said they are fun.Is that to imply that others are not? I think all mine are fun. Silencers are fun. Full auto is fun. Single shot big bore is fun too.Then you repeated points that had already been beaten to death. Reload. (how many times can you say that?) Swap a bolt. Buy an upper. Blah blah blah.As I said, I do reload. Wore out my first Dillon. Been reloading for as long as you have been alive. As for the other stuff, WHY when I can reach into a safe and get a whole gun and have calibers that already do about the same thing, give or take a bit. Some better, some cheaper, some not so good but adequate.Do you want to argue calibers, how about we argue about the 40S&W next? I don't have any of those. Plenty of 9mm and plenty of 45acp. No 40. Oh the shame I must feel. How inadequate is my life that I missed out on the 40. Whoa is me. But there are very rational reasons to skip calibers when you already have others that surround the one discussed.So to use your technique of tireless repetition, let me reiterate one more time. I see ZERO reason for many of us to ever consider the 300 AAC Blackout as a supressor host or even as a caliber to add to our safes.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    That post looks terrible. I can stand posting from this iPod thing. It jumbles up my sentences, deletes the spacing, and auto corrects things I don't want auto corrected. I can't fix it either. Sorry.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    On those few occasions when I shot indoors I used both electronic protection and plugs

Sorry, I can't hear you. Too many layers over my ears.

@melensdad

Do you reload for the 6.5 gre... caliber?
    I have dies, powder, brass, primers and bullets for the Grendel but have not yet loaded a round for it yet since I have several thousand factory rounds in my inventory supplies.

Different strokes for different folks. I don't own any x39 rifles and dislike the Ak pattern...
    I also don't own any SKS or AK pattern guns, I dislike those too. But I do have multiple rifles that shoot the 7.62x39 cartridge. Both semi auto and bolt action.

FWIW, about 98% of my posts are from an iPad and/or iPhone.

Last edited:

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    :mallninja: Internet caliber wars. Blah Blah Blah.

Hypocrisy, huh. Have we resorted to name calling? Why would you even pick 7x39 to reload? WAY more options in a .308 projectile.

I didn't suggest you or anyone else take up precious safe space with anything. But you sure want to tell me what I can do with mine. Haters gonna hate, fanboys gonna fan. My reasons for liking the .300blk>0. My reasons for liking 6.5<0, you have not increased that number for me. Reload reload reload. My reloading manuals don't even have your beloved 6.5. They have .300blk however.

I see more 300 barrels out there then any other non 5.56 ar15 round, so, that's the industry putting in their :twocents:.

For less than $250 I can shoot another caliber.

You have obviously made up your mind you have found the greatest caliber ever. We all love those "If you could have one caliber" posts.

I really hope we can all find our "one caliber". But, I hope we don't become so crass when we do.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    :mallninja: Internet caliber wars. Blah Blah Blah.

Hypocrisy, huh. Have we resorted to name calling?

No. Not name calling. Pointing out the obvious in your posts. How is that name calling?

You have obviously made up your mind you have found the greatest caliber ever. We all love those "If you could have one caliber" posts.

I really hope we can all find our "one caliber". But, I hope we don't become so crass when we do.

FWIW, I think every one of my posts advocated several calibers, from 9mm to 458 Socom. Point out a post in this thread where I advocate only 1 caliber.

Last edited:

Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    FYI, 20+ bricks of 550 round federal bulk pack at Portage walmart for $23 a brick as of 9am. I was one of those that sold some personal stash for a profit. I did not pick any up today... still have 10-15 bricks and haven't been doing any shooting, so why resupply yet? I'll wait until I KNOW it is in good supply, then I'll replenish the 10 bricks I sold. Forgive me if 22 is already known to be back in supply, I last looked a month or so ago and didn't see any.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom