• Total voters

GunsCarsPlanes

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2021
    NWI
    Nice, looks like a good turnout. I'll be sure to scan the forum every so often for the next event.

Was busy with this all day.
    If you ever need help with something let me know. I've always owned but just recently got a house so I'm learning stuff as I go. I'd be willing to help you with that type of work if you'd explain what you're doing and why so I can get a handle on this stuff.

I'm good with cars and so far all of the basic house stuff, I just want to learn the tougher tasks like you're doing.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Sorry that I couldn't attend. Been to a couple previous ones and had a great time.
    i have chatted with the Service Waitresses and they all told me the INGO group was very nice and never any issues. Nice compliment to the site and attended people.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    You have a pool table in your attic???:eek:
    I had to look back at the image to get what you were asking. It's one of those extend'o grippy things were you pull the trigger and it closes a clamp at the end, however it does look like a pool cue from my photo. I needed it to hold the attic chutes in place as I stuffed insulation in the eaves. I do have a mini pool table that's like 4' long with proportionally small billiard balls, so I very well could have a poll table in my attic.

Last edited:

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Nice, looks like a good turnout. I'll be sure to scan the forum every so often for the next event.

If you ever need help with something let me know. I've always owned but just recently got a house so I'm learning stuff as I go. I'd be willing to help you with that type of work if you'd explain what you're doing and why so I can get a handle on this stuff.

I'm good with cars and so far all of the basic house stuff, I just want to learn the tougher tasks like you're doing.
    Really appreciate the offer. I'm still learning myself. I come from a long line of carpenters. My dad built all of his houses (except his first) as well as my grandpa and his dad before his. Heck, my grandpa completely built his current house without a single blueprint back in the early 70's. Funny enough I'm the only one in my family of my generation that followed in the construction footsteps.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Wanted to be there as a surprise guest, but I had to tend to a post op wife. So close. I did vote though. A man has to have his priorities. She wins.

Next time.

Nice pics. Thanks. N Sorry I missed a great group.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Now that I think about it, I don’t think I did vote. I wanted to be a surprise guest. Sorry. On third thought now I don’t remember..:dunno:

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Wish I could have made it. Was busy with this all day.
    View attachment 319164 View attachment 319165
    Replaced a header eaten my ants with a proper double 2x12. Stuffed insulation in the attic, and put up some drywall.
    May want to check your ants, in my experience ants don’t eat wood. Other critters that look like ants do!!!!

Happens a lot in Indiana, check your insurance before!!! you have any inspection, don’t call them and give them a heads up, read your policy, protect yourself, consult an attorney. A few hundred bucks of legal fees can save you many thousands of dollars. JMO

The home you save may be yours, Good luck.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    in my experience ants don’t eat wood
    Ants do burrow into wood to create nests.

Reactions: Mij

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    May want to check your ants, in my experience ants don’t eat wood. Other critters that look like ants do!!!!

Happens a lot in Indiana, check your insurance before!!! you have any inspection, don’t call them and give them a heads up, read your policy, protect yourself, consult an attorney. A few hundred bucks of legal fees can save you many thousands of dollars. JMO

The home you save may be yours, Good luck.
    The house was acquired through a foreclosure auction and sold as is. The house has been uninhabited for over a decade to where we're now fixing all the issues. It was a little more work than we initially expected, it still is worth it for the price I bought it for. Even putting a few $10K into it over a few years, I stand to make somewhat more in equity.

I'm fairly certain it's carpenter ants, because though you're right they don't eat wood, they chew it up to make their galleries and move the cellulose somewhere else. We started encountering sawdust piles in various areas, and most of the damage was behind several layers of plaster, specifically where there was water leaking in. There were also mud-tunnels leading though-out the house as (thankfully) the wood used for the structure seemed to be to hard for them to chew. Also there were a lack of wings usually left by termite nymphs, as well as old ant corpses in some of the sawdust piles.

There are only two other areas that need to be repaired due to the little buggers, but they were only a symptom of the problem, which is improper flashing of the roof and bad porch construction. The porch was made of a concrete slab with brick sides. Once the bricks collapsed, water and critters were able to get in. The porch was built directly on a wood deck with no water barrier or anything, so the ants chewed through my rim joist. Not finding suitable wood, they made mud-tunnels to act as conduits to where there was soft wood, which were areas where warmth and moisture were present. These areas being areas where bad flashing let water into the structure, or where there was a tub and heater located. Everywhere else was avoided like the plague.

Top Bottom