NWI Outdoor Ranges with or without Steel Targets?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willizm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2021
    NWI
    Hi all, I live in NWI and looking for any outdoor ranges that have steel targets. I am trying to practice a bit before I try my hand at the USPSA matches at NPCCC. Any recommendations for ranges where I can practice would be greatly appreciated.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    outdoor ranges are easy enough to find, dnr ranges are accessible but will not allow you to fire like you would in competition, your best bet would be private ranges like izaak walton or npccc (though it looks like they're not accepting new members currently). both require annual membership but I think it's worth it to not be stuck at a bench firing slow an steady to keep the ro's happy

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    outdoor ranges are easy enough to find, dnr ranges are accessible but will not allow you to fire like you would in competition, your best bet would be private ranges like izaak walton or npccc (though it looks like they're not accepting new members currently). both require annual membership but I think it's worth it to not be stuck at a bench firing slow an steady to keep the ro's happy

Those DNR ranges are also paper targets only, even if you're ok with the slow-fire. No holster draws either.

I'm interested too. Finding a location that's not slow-fire & paper only (and is accepting new shooters) is a challenge.
    And I do get it... a vast majority of people at the range have no business doing anything except practicing Firearm Safety. But there must be somewhere the remainder can work on our skills.

Subscribed :shoot:

Last edited:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Most ranges where you can practice USPSA style shooting require membership unless it's a public event.

Michigan City Rifle Club runs a defensive pistol session on Wednesdays that is open to non-members. There's a link in my sig line. Right now events are cancelled due to Covid.

Eagle Sports Range also runs this type of event and the events are open to the public. You can register on Practiscore.

Glen Park Izaak Walton has an indoor pistol range, you could stop by on a Wednesday evening when they have trap open to the public, one of the members would probably be glad to give you a tour and answers questions about joining.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I don’t think you will find a public range. Our club ( central N IN ) does allows drawing from holster, etc. on certain ranges/bays. We have 1 bay furnished with 2 plate racks to use. However only other hard targets allowed are in club sanctioned events/matches whether public or private. You may not bring your own and use. We are private club also.

Top Bottom