• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    This will certainly generate discussion! NYPD's anti-terror division pushes the edge . . .

With CIA help, NYPD moves covertly in Muslim areas - Yahoo! News

I don't see a problem. I have no problem with racial, religious, or economic profiling. It wasn't 10 poor white guys and 9 rich black women from Hoboken that brought down the WTC, crashed into the Pentagon, and hijacked and crashed another plane. It was 19 Arab Muslims.

While I have trouble with illegal wiretaps, it's not illegal to listen to others speak or watch them act in public and develop leads from that speech or those actions. The economic loss from 9/11 affects our economy 10 years later. The human loss will do so for generations.

I am not concerned that the CIA is training NYPD investigators. I would be if they were coordinating activities or NYPD was taking assignments from the CIA, but there's no evidence that's the case.

Seems like a very interesting non-story to me.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I agree. It seems like they are doing common sense things from a policing stand point. I did get the sense that the FBI is so tied up with political correctness that NYPD felt they had to establish direct CIA ties to get good intel. If that is true, I am concerned with the future effectiveness of the FBI.

radonc73

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Lowell
    I think the problem is that they are not even in the state which they are LEOs. Far from their territory, not letting the locals in on it shows lack of trust in their fellow officers. :twocents:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This is only a non-story if you accept a Police State as normal.

• CIA operating within our borders.
    • Secret operations without oversight.
    • Spying on American citizens.
    • Monitoring people with "no evidence of wrongdoing."
    • Federalization of local police.
    • Demonizing of an ethnic group.
    • Blurring the line between police work and spying.

Nothing to see here! Go back to sleep!

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    By design, the NYPD was looking more and more like a domestic CIA.
    "It's like starting the CIA over in the post-9/11 world," Cohen said in "Protecting the City," a laudatory 2009 book about the NYPD. "What would you do if you could begin it all over again? Hah. This is what you would do."
    A domestic CIA. Wonderful. :n00b:

Last month, the CIA deepened its NYPD ties even further. It sent one of its most experienced operatives, a former station chief in two Middle Eastern countries, to work out of police headquarters as Cohen's special assistant while on the CIA payroll. Current and former U.S. officials acknowledge it's unusual but said it's the kind of collaboration Americans expect after 9/11.
    Sweet. The CIA have their own office set up in NYPD headquarters.

One of the enduring questions of the past decade is whether being safe requires giving up some liberty and privacy. The focus of that debate has primarily been federal programs like wiretapping and indefinite detention. The question has received less attention in New York, where residents do not know for sure what, if anything, they have given up.
    Doesn't really sound like they have the consent of the governed, now does it?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If NYPD is outside of their jurisdiction, then Jersey should send them packing. If they did anything illegal, Jersey should press charges.

If the CIA is running operations inside the US, using US citizens to spy on other US citizens, then whoever set it up should be given the boot and answer for any illegal activity.

I have no issue with NYPD keeping tabs on suspected criminals, but it appears the CI A overstepped their authority, as did the NYPD.

But, who am I to know :dunno:

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    A domestic CIA. Wonderful. :n00b:

Sweet. The CIA have their own office set up in NYPD headquarters.

Doesn't really sound like they have the consent of the governed, now does it?
    Rambone, I think this is a defense for the U.S. as a whole against foreign threats and attacks. People who blow up buildings and shoot into crowds, etc. don't care if you, Rambone or anyone else, is standing in the way.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Rambone, I think this is a defense for the U.S. as a whole against foreign threats and attacks. People who blow up buildings and shoot into crowds, etc. don't care if you, Rambone or anyone else, is standing in the way.
    What if the constitution stands in your way? You're willing to sacrifice everything we hold sacred to feel safer.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    What if the constitution stands in your way? You're willing to sacrifice everything we hold sacred to feel safer.
    I don't consider myself an enemy. A citizen or group may for bogus selfish reasons and if that were ever the case, I don't mind gov., LE or myself (to a certain extent) having my back.

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'll bet the average New Yorker is probably glad their PD is taking these steps to protect them, Rambone, so your "consent of the governed" comment is invalid. Actually, I think they're probably on the right track in investigating all aspects of a culture that has five times either killed New Yorkers or tried to kill them in the name of their religion.

As to whether or not they should be investigating in other jurisdictions, it depends upon how secure they think their investigation will be if they coordinate with other departments. Jurisdictional frictions are the greatest threat to sensitive investigations, especially nowadays when anyone who doesn't like what you're doing doesn't hesitate to leak it to the Press, which will then blow your investigation sky-high.

Since northern New Jersey is just another suburb of New York City (just a train or ferry ride away), I'm not surprised they would investigate there and like others, I don't have a problem with it; they seem to be getting results.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I don't consider myself an enemy. A citizen or group may for bogus selfish reasons and if that were ever the case, I don't mind gov. or LE (to a certain extent) having my back.

I presume that for the sake of other's safety you would willingly permit the police to spy on you merely because you carry a firearm? Or subscribe to a certain political movement or ideology? If you're innocent then you shouldn't have the police following you. If they have a specific crime or series of crimes that they are gathering evidence against you for, it had best be something more serious than "potential terrorist because he is brown and believes in Allah".

I heard about the Red Scare and McCarthyism and was amazed that people would willingly suspend rights merely to satisfy their fear. Apparently that movement has merely transitioned to the latest religious/political/ideological group.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I can't speak for others, but myself, the Constitution itself has never prevented me from making or doing what I want with my personal life. I've made bad choices that are no fault of the Constitution.
    A citizen/ citizens (totally depends on the person/ persons) will stand in your way of your achievments before the Constitution will.

Last edited:

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    This reeks of of NYPD's sting of out of state gunshows. They have no jurisdiction in NJ and if they are not there with the consent of NJ they need to stay out. The are only city cops!!!

radonc73

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Lowell
    Why cann't we just have them wear red cressants, look how well it helped round up the Jews in Germany. Just assume that they have done something wrong and if they haven't YET they will, oh they will.

Like I said earlier they are out of their jursidiction and should have no power to conduct this investigation. And we wonder why they want to blow us up?

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    if you do not understand that the NSA/CIA already knows everything you do not understand. total information awareness is complete, the biggest problem now is getting warrants Ex Post Facto without tipping the hand about prior knowledge.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Why cann't we just have them wear red cressants, look how well it helped round up the Jews in Germany. Just assume that they have done something wrong and if they haven't YET they will, oh they will.

And we wonder why they want to blow us up?

:laugh:
    So the purple really wasn't sarcasm?

Top Bottom