• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I bet a lot will say that they probably aren't much different than many current government employees who just haven't been caught yet. ;)

I have no problem with an "ex-con" it all depends on the person to me... But who knows about this will play out.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I agree with Mr. Obama that an ex-con should have the same opportunity for employment as anyone else. After all, they have paid their debt to society, right? I also support his call to reinstate their Second Amendment right to legally bear arms and... What do you mean he didn't say that? :stickpoke:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Depending upon the crime, the person and the job, I may very well hire an ex-con.

...the whole "mandate from above", however removes discretion, which is never a good thing. It's no different than zero-tolerance policies that do not allow for latitude to evaluate a specific situation.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    One of the few things Obama has done that I do agree with. I am NOT in favor of banning convicts from employment or other things such things as voting or owning firearms. Once they have completed their sentence (including parole) they should have their rights restored. The 8th Amendment protects against cruel and usual punishment and forever "marking" someone because of a crime is cruel and unusual. Now don't go off on me as being a liberal or soft on criminals, I'm not and I am all for sentencing that fits the crime and even tougher sentences for repeat offenders.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So you'd hire a guy who did federal time for wire fraud as part of an accounting scam to be your accountant? Hey, he served his time.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    If they have served their time and paid their debt, they should be awarded all rights and privileges of a citizen. If they are not worthy of such freedoms, then they should not have been released.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If they have served their time and paid their debt, they should be awarded all rights and privileges of a citizen. If they are not worthy of such freedoms, then they should not have been released.

This includes everyone, right? Any problem with convicted child molesters being nannies in federal day care centers?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I would consider an ex-con, depending on the details.

It's not unreasonable for a president to make decisions on hiring practices within the federal government. He is the head of the executive branch and it seems appropriate that he can control which practices are used. I would, however, find it more appropriate that he leave the final discretion to the person doing the hiring.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I would consider an ex-con, depending on the details.

It's not unreasonable for a president to make decisions on hiring practices within the federal government. He is the head of the executive branch and it seems appropriate that he can control which practices are used. I would, however, find it more appropriate that he leave the final discretion to the person doing the hiring.

I guess I don't have a problem with eliminating the ban but to ban discretion all together seems dumb.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I agree with Mr. Obama that an ex-con should have the same opportunity for employment as anyone else. After all, they have paid their debt to society, right? I also support his call to reinstate their Second Amendment right to legally bear arms and... What do you mean he didn't say that? :stickpoke:

I agree with both.

Depending upon the crime, the person and the job, I may very well hire an ex-con.

...the whole "mandate from above", however removes discretion, which is never a good thing. It's no different than zero-tolerance policies that do not allow for latitude to evaluate a specific situation.

According to the article it doesn't remove discretion, just delays it until farther into the ap process. It's supposed to keep them from being down checked without even looking at their qualifications and crime/mitigating circumstances.
    The White House says it is "encouraged" by such legislation in a new statement, but emphasizes the president's order will take immediate action, mandating that the federal government's HR department "delay inquiries into criminal history until later in the hiring process."

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    AN accountant aquaintance who spent time behind bars for fraud has a condition of parole forbiding his emplyment in any finacial realm. He now paints boxcars for a living.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I agree with both.

According to the article it doesn't remove discretion, just delays it until farther into the ap process. It's supposed to keep them from being down checked without even looking at their qualifications and crime/mitigating circumstances.

If that's the case, then, I support it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Got to find something for all those illinois political criminals. Doing time is just a badge of distinction for them.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We've got enough convicted murderers walking the streets of Indianapolis to disprove the theory that ex cons have paid their debt to society. Life in prison is a far cry from someone paying a debt and the length of time most of them are staying is a joke.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    "No one has any need to carry guns in this City. The Police keep this city very safe for a city with 30,000 known felons on the street" Chicago Mayor Richie boy Daley in front of the TV cameras standing next to Police Chief Rodregez. In the early 80's

Top Bottom