Last edited:

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Mr. President:

I never served with Martin Luther King. I never knew Martin Luther King. Martin Luther King was never a friend of mine. However I still feel qualified to say: Mr. President, you're no Martin Luther King.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    This kind of comparison, popular in today's politics, is useless for thinking and damaging to democracy. No one is MLK, and no one is Hitler. Comparing any of our leaders in to Hitler, Stalin, Mao, etc., is an insult to the memories of the millions who suffered tremendously at the hands of these wicked men. But for the living, such comparison grossly simplifies the politics into one of extreme like and dislike, extreme white and black, when most politicians, Democrat or Republican, are probably more like one another than anyone is willing to admit. Rambone is right: Obama has continued Bush's expansion the power of the executive branch. Whoever we put in the office next will probably do the same thing AND CONTINUE TO DAMAGE OUR SOCIETY, unless we start talking more intelligently about politics.

MLK has been virtually deified (edit: was defied (typo)) by both sides because, let's face it, he was black and not as threatening as Malcolm X. In today's racial climate, he is the "safe bet." I do not dispute the great contribution that he made, but if he were alive, he would be appalled by the way that liberals and conservatives alike use his name. They care little about the ideals he devoted and sacrificed his life for, and they just parade comparisons around like a "get out of jail free" card.

While I'm on the soap box, I wish people would actually learn something about the various -isms. I am always amused to see people being accused of being fascist and communist at the same time. Those two ideologies are opposed to one another. You can only be one or the other.

People on this forum like to say those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it. Santyana was right, of course. But do we actually know history? I'd say not, otherwise we won't be making such histrionic, inaccurate, and counter-productive comparisons.

Da Bing

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Obama is like Obama.

Obama is not MLK, Kennedy, Mao, or Stalin. To suggest our POTUS is similar to Mao or Stalin reeks of out of touch political poisoning.

MLK was vilified and controversial during his lifetime. What POTUS said about him was true - unless you like to believe MLK was the only person behind the civil rights movement, and disagree with the "all of us" part.

Obama has become one of the most important black leaders since MLK, and to many people that alone makes him represent a giant step in American history. In that aspect, he will go down as an important black leader in history along with MLK.

Obama says many dumb things, and you can pick and choose among those if you would like to poke fun... but comparing him to Stalin/Mao is not only out of touch, how far out of touch it is puts it in the "bad taste" category in my mind. You want to make fun of him saying unemployment benefits will create jobs, I will be laughing with you. If you want to compare him to Mao/Stalin/Hitler/Hussein, then your political tunnel vision is what I will laugh at.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was a successful leader, a successful negotiator, and was willing to give his life for his political ambitions and aspirations. Dr. King walked the walk, talked the talk, and slept in the trenches. Dr. King didn't have to ask anyone in his organization to do anything he had not already done himself.

President Obama, is not a leader, can not negotiate, and it doesn't appear he has any kind of goals for this country. He's a political "empty suit" and unfortunately for us he is a prime of example of the kinds of leadership we are faced with today.

America is short on leaders, and long on self serving opportunists. I think if Dr. King were alive today to see what the likes of Obama, Jackson, and Sharpton (to name a few) have all tried to pull in his name, he'd be ready to throw out that whole non-violence thing and beat the snot out of a few of these wankers.

On the day Dr. King was murdered in cold blood, Barack Obama was attending a muslim school in Indonesia. So it's a bit difficult for him to have any real firsthand knowledge of what Dr. King was really about.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I agree BHO doesn't have MLK's testicular fortitude but there are similarities.
    MLK- Nobel Peace Prize
    BHO- Nobel Peace Prize

MLK- Civil Rights Leader
    BHO- Civil Rights Leader for Black Panthers at polling places.

MLK- Founder of SCLC- Community Organization
    BHO- Community Organizer for Acorn

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    On the day Dr. King was murdered in cold blood, Barack Obama was attending a muslim school in Indonesia. So it's a bit difficult for him to have any real firsthand knowledge of what Dr. King was really about.

Though I am not a fan of Obama, I am disturbed by the attacks leveled against him because of identity politics. Many people don't like him because he represents a new, different kind of American: multiracial, international in outlook, experienced with people of different faiths. This is a departure from the monochromatic male presidents of our past. (I will note that he is tall, and as a country the US of A seems to vote for tall people.) As a consequence he has elicited a great deal of "he is not one of us" reaction, where "us" is defined narrowly as a particular ethnic group with a particular religious leaning. This is behind the suspicion that he was born in Kenya, in spite of documentary evidence to the contrary; that he is some sort of crypto-Muslim; that he is somehow not American. You don't have to have been a school room in Birmingham, Alabama, when MLA was killed, to know how important this figure was in history. In fact, I daresay that the people who fought Apartheid in South Africa and the girls trying to go to school in Afghanistan and Pakistan, probably understand more about MLK's struggle than most of us do. Let's move away from identity and towards substantive issues like getting out of the three wars we are in, closing down Guantanamo, and restoring the rule of law in the US.

Before I sign off, let me tell you something that'd boggle your mind: Obama is cousin to both Bush and Cheney. We have been ruled by the same family for three terms. Is this a dynasty?

Da Bing

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Though I am not a fan of Obama, I am disturbed by the attacks leveled against him because of identity politics. Many people don't like him because he represents a new, different kind of American: multiracial, international in outlook, experienced with people of different faiths. This is a departure from the monochromatic male presidents of our past. (I will note that he is tall, and as a country the US of A seems to vote for tall people.) As a consequence he has elicited a great deal of "he is not one of us" reaction, where "us" is defined narrowly as a particular ethnic group with a particular religious leaning. This is behind the suspicion that he was born in Kenya, in spite of documentary evidence to the contrary; that he is some sort of crypto-Muslim; that he is somehow not American. You don't have to have been a school room in Birmingham, Alabama, when MLA was killed, to know how important this figure was in history. In fact, I daresay that the people who fought Apartheid in South Africa and the girls trying to go to school in Afghanistan and Pakistan, probably understand more about MLK's struggle than most of us do. Let's move away from identity and towards substantive issues like getting out of the three wars we are in, closing down Guantanamo, and restoring the rule of law in the US.

Before I sign off, let me tell you something that'd boggle your mind: Obama is cousin to both Bush and Cheney. We have been ruled by the same family for three terms. Is this a dynasty?

Da Bing

But you admit that it is true that he attended madrassa in Indonesia? It is pertinent. Just like the blacks in South Africa that lived through apartheid may understand the struggle of the blacks in this country during the MLK years, BHO never lived here during that time period. He never had to deal with the white water fountains, lunch counters, bus seats, schools, etc. He never lived here when the N word was commonly used. When lynchings occurred and the local Sheriff really didn't care in many areas of this country. Obama has no clue what the MLKs or John Lewis' of this country lived through. He has the same anti-colonialism that his father had. That is why he apologizes to everyone in the world for the US. That is why he went out of his way to diss England. And I believe those are all substantive issues.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Bing, when we say he isn't one of us it's because he has shown nothing but disdain and hatred for America and for Americans. When not using a TelePrompTer he can't help but tell us how much he hates us.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

Da Bing

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Oh brother.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    There are pleanty of similarities, both being good speakers, although I am not sure if obama plagiarizes his material like the king did.
    Anti American communist buddies, yep pretty close.
    Information being unobtainable, yep there is another big similarity. There is pleanty info about obummer that is secret and didn't kings widow fight to keep info on him sealed until we are all dead?
    Oh and it is racist to be critical of either one.
    They have alot in common.
    Oh wait, was it supposed to be a good thing to be like king?
    I voted for him being like king, but not because its a good thing.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    But you admit that it is true that he attended madrassa in Indonesia? It is pertinent. Just like the blacks in South Africa that lived through apartheid may understand the struggle of the blacks in this country during the MLK years, BHO never lived here during that time period. He never had to deal with the white water fountains, lunch counters, bus seats, schools, etc. He never lived here when the N word was commonly used. When lynchings occurred and the local Sheriff really didn't care in many areas of this country. Obama has no clue what the MLKs or John Lewis' of this country lived through. He has the same anti-colonialism that his father had. That is why he apologizes to everyone in the world for the US. That is why he went out of his way to diss England. And I believe those are all substantive issues.

What, am I on trial here? What's with the language "but you admit"? Obama did not go to a school for religious training. He went to a public school in Indonesia. As PistolBob says, don't believe everything you read on the internet.

You don't need to understand everything only from direct personal experience. That's what education does for you. Your paragraph above focuses on personal experience, ultimately returning back to the sort of identity politics that I warn everyone against. If you take this sort of reasoning to its logical conclusion, then only a white man from Minnesota can appreciate the pleasures of lutefisk, only a black man can understand racial discrimination, etc. That will result in preferential hiring based on race and ethnic background etc. Surely this is not what you mean.

A respondent to my post says that Obama's actions show he hates America. Well, many Americans do not see things that way at all. What does this mean? There is a big cultural divide in the US based, again, on identity politics. That's why Sarah Palin's rhetoric of "small towns where *real* Americans live" found such resonance with a particular, monochromatic segment of the population, and fell completely flat with another. We must move away from this sort of unhelpful identity politics about which American is a real American and which American is a fake American. We are all real Americans. The question is, can we address the problems we face with pragmatism, to the satisfaction of all Americans.

Think about this: Obama's policies are remarkably similar to Bush's. Why is it that we can't see how this harms the country, and instead we waste all this breath arguing about who Obama is?

I am just trying to communicate here. I do not support Obama, but to me these allegations about his being a crypto-Muslim, etc., reflect a deep concern stemming from a narrow definition what it means to be American. These cultural issues distract from the real issues at hand that affect our livelihood. You can spend energy making everyone in the US adopt your specific way of life, or or you can try to get us out of the economic, diplomatic mess we found ourselves in. The choice is yours. I am afraid that you'll just bury your heads in the sand.

As for Obama's genealogy, it's out there for people to check. His mother came from an old American family. That's not new to anyone.

Da Bing

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    In some ways, fearless leader is like Lincoln.

1. Lincoln placed his hand on the Bible for his inauguration. Obama used
    the same Bible.

2. Lincoln came from Illinois. Obama comes from Illinois.

3. Lincoln served in the Illinois Legislature. Obama was present in the Illinois Legislature.

4. Lincoln had very little experience before becoming President... Obama had very little experience before becoming President.

5. Lincoln rode the train from Philadelphia to Washington for his inauguration. Obama rode the train from Philadelphia to Washington for his inauguration.

6. Lincoln was a skinny lawyer. Obama is a skinny lawyer.

7. Lincoln was a Republican. Obama is a skinny lawyer.

8. Lincoln was highly respected. Obama is a skinny lawyer.

9. Lincoln was was intelligent... Obama is a skinny lawyer.

10. Lincoln was honest, so honest he was called Honest Abe. Obama is a skinny lawyer

11. Lincoln saved the United States. Obama is a skinny lawyer

Top Bottom