0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    White House aides: No Afghan decision before Thanksgiving

[SIZE=-1]By Anne E. Kornblut
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:50 PM
    [/SIZE]
    SEOUL -- President Obama will not announce his decision on sending more troops to Afghanistan before the Thanksgiving holiday, senior aides said Thursday.
    The news came as the president greeted 1,500 troops at Osan Air Base in South Korea, just before boarding Air Force One and heading back to Washington after an eight-day trip to Asia.
    Obama and his top military and diplomatic aides have been deliberating for months over how to proceed in Afghanistan, where the United States and its partners have sought for eight years to defeat the Taliban and deny al-Qaeda a safe haven from which it can plan and launch attacks.
    Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, the top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan, has stated that without the deployment of up to 40,000 additional troops within the next year, the mission "will likely result in failure." But some aides are arguing for a much smaller troop increase, and the U.S. ambassador in Kabul, Karl W. Eikenberry, has questioned whether the Afghan government can be a reliable partner.
    Obama said in interviews Wednesday that he would reveal his decision within the next several weeks. On Thursday, aides clarified that there would be no announcement before Thanksgiving, one week away. Senior administration officials said Obama intends to meet with his national security team again before going public with his plans.
    Obama did not mention the looming decision in his remarks to U.S. troops, referring to the Afghan conflict only by thanking South Korea for its efforts and expressing gratitude to the American military personnel who have served there.
    But he did discuss the region in his meeting with South Korean President Lee Myung-bak, whose government is sending 150 civilian aid workers to Afghanistan.
    Obama arrived on the base 3:19 p.m. local time (1 a.m. Eastern Standard Time) and received a rousing welcome from 1,500 troops in camouflage uniforms, many holding cameras or pointing cellphones to snap pictures.
    "You guys make a pretty good photo op," the president said.
    Standing on a riser wearing a blue suit and red tie, with a cluster of troops and a large American flag behind him, Obama expressed "the gratitude of the American public" and said his meetings in four countries over eight days in Asia will help deliver a "safer, more prosperous world for all of us."
    He got a huge cheer when he told them he was increasing military pay. "That's what you call an applause line," he said, before boarding his jet and taking off at 4:11 p.m.

"You guys make a pretty good photo op,"
    Tells us how you really feel. :xmad:
    He got a huge cheer when he told them he was increasing military pay.
    Funny I thought Congress was in charge of appropriations, including setting the pay for military members. :dunno:

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I don't care who is in charge of it as long as it happens. Generally speaking, when a Dem is in the oval office our pay will suffer according to guys that have been in the Army a lot longer than I.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I don't care who is in charge of it as long as it happens. Generally speaking, when a Dem is in the oval office our pay will suffer according to guys that have been in the Army a lot longer than I.
    I hope it happens but I think he is trying to take credit. I was lucky enough to serve 7 of my 8 years under President Reagan.
    You are correct about pay suffering under Dems.

lumpy39us

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Any Troop increase is a very bad idea, we need to bring them home, fast.
    I have posted this before and the reasons are many. Sorry I'm off topic, the pay thing is just a way to gain acceptance by the general public.
    Send more troops= send more support equipment= less service members here= less support equipment here= the need for outside sources needed to quell discontent within our borders!
    Just my thoughts.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Any Troop increase is a very bad idea, we need to bring them home, fast.
    I have posted this before and the reasons are many. Sorry I'm off topic, the pay thing is just a way to gain acceptance by the general public.
    Send more troops= send more support equipment= less service members here= less support equipment here= the need for outside sources needed to quell discontent within our borders!
    Just my thoughts.

I don't claim to be an expert, but spend some time over here and tell me we don't need more troops. We either need pull out completely (which is a horrible idea) or bring in more troops because we don't have enough. Either one would make more sense than just keeping what we have.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Caesar gave his military a pay grade increase, too. He did it in exchange for their loyalty. He also never restored his temporary absolute power from his position and the army sided with him when he refused to relinquish his absolute authority.

I'm not saying that the army would respond in the same way, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Long-Legged-Mack-Daddy is trying to use a fast one out of a 2000 year old playbook.

That being said, you guys who serve do deserve a pay grade increase.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    If I'm not mistaken. E-1 is still the lowest paying job in America. I made something like 15 or 17 thousand dollars a year when I was a E-1. E-2, 3 aren't much better. E-5 is when you start making a decent wage. Which is a much easier rank to get now. E-5 is the new E-4.

You'd be surprised how many Military personnel are on Food stamps. Which is ****ing sad. Pardon my language, but there is no other way to say it.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    bam-bam is gonna buy the illegal imigrant vote with amnesty, and he's gonna try to buy the military votes with a pay raise. I wonder how much gold he's gonna pull out of Ft Knox to make his crown? :xmad: :dunno:

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    The pay raises actually have little to do with bam-bam other than he signs the bill from the hill. Thank congress not the POTUS.

"HEY Nancy... this is bam-bam........ have rino Lugar introduce a bill to raise the military pay, so we can get those votes....yes, you can have a bigger jet next term"

YA THINK :dunno:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I wonder how much gold he's gonna pull out of Ft Knox to make his crown? :xmad: :dunno:
    My guess says "good luck finding any gold in Ft. Knox".
    Maybe this calls for an audit.
    Wait, that's already been denied a few bazillion times...
    He probably ought to just stop at Burger King to pick one up...I hear they've got extras.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Not argueing with you Jay...

Just stating that Bam can't buy us off by his own account, he has to have the help of the hill too...

I understand that, but bam-bam can get just about whatever he wants from the "hill"...... in today's political climate, getting a pay raise for the military will be a snap. After all, he's over in China getting approval for how much of "our money" he can spend, right now.

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I hope it happens but I think he is trying to take credit. I was lucky enough to serve 7 of my 8 years under President Reagan.
    You are correct about pay suffering under Dems.

Yes, He tells them he is going to give them a raise but if Congress does not pass it then he is the Good Guy, He wanted too but they wouldn't pass a pay raise for him to sign. Not sure who he will try to blame for that:dunno:

I also agree that the pay suffers with a Dem in the Oval Office. When Reagon was in Office the long timers called him Uncle Sugar!:yesway:

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    If I'm not mistaken. E-1 is still the lowest paying job in America. I made something like 15 or 17 thousand dollars a year when I was a E-1. E-2, 3 aren't much better. E-5 is when you start making a decent wage. Which is a much easier rank to get now. E-5 is the new E-4.

You'd be surprised how many Military personnel are on Food stamps. Which is ****ing sad. Pardon my language, but there is no other way to say it.

Agreed, Our Military should not have to feed their families using food stamos!

bam-bam is gonna buy the illegal imigrant vote with amnesty,
    :xmad: :dunno:

Not the first one in Washington to do or try this.

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I wonder how much gold he's gonna pull out of Ft Knox to make his crown? :xmad: :dunno:

My guess says "good luck finding any gold in Ft. Knox".
    Maybe this calls for an audit.
    Wait, that's already been denied a few bazillion times...
    He probably ought to just stop at Burger King to pick one up...I hear they've got extras.

Well, I was going to say that there is not enough gold in Ft Knox to make one fitting for O, but I agree with Annie. :yesway:

I understand that, but bam-bam can get just about whatever he wants from the "hill"...... in today's political climate, getting a pay raise for the military will be a snap. After all, he's over in China getting approval for how much of "our money" he can spend, right now.

Yes I think I was wrong in my other post. He wants to give them a HUGE RAISE then tax it all back!! That way they can cook the books and he can say it is good money, not borrowed money! :dunno:

All of the post here are good!!:yesway:

Top Bottom