• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    In case you thought he didn't have it in him. The Guv's take on Obama care and the trouble ahead for Indiana:

We Good Europeans

For now, we better start adjusting to our new status as good Europeans.

By MITCH DANIELS

As if governors these days don't have enough on their plates. Now that
    ObamaCare has become law, there's a whole new to-do list for my state:

1) Plan for the termination of our Healthy Indiana Plan. This is the
    program that's currently providing health insurance to 50,000
    low-income Hoosiers. With its health savings account-style personal
    accounts, it has been enormously popular among its participants. I
    hope those folks will do all right when they are pitched into
    Medicaid.

2) Start preparing voters for a state tax increase. The axe won't fall
    until someone else is governor. But when we are forced to expand
    Medicaid to one in every four citizens, the cost will add several
    hundred million dollars to the budget.

3) Check to see if Indiana should drop its health insurance plans and
    dump its government workers into the exchanges. Paying the new tax
    penalty might actually be cheaper for the state, as it will be for
    many private firms. I'm not certain the same rule applies to
    government as to business, but since no member of Congress read this
    entire bill before the vote, I don't feel embarrassed about not
    knowing.

4) Ramp up our job retraining programs to handle those who will be
    fired by our medical device companies, student loan providers, and
    small businesses as they wrestle with new taxes, penalties, or in the
    student loan case, outright nationalization of their business.

5) Call the state's attorney general to see if we can join one of the
    lawsuits to overturn ObamaCare. Yes, it's a long shot. But why not
    try?

6) Investigate an offset to all this extra cost. We may no longer need
    the Department of Insurance since insurers will now be operating as
    regulated utilities under the thumb of the federal government.

It's discouraging that all of this could have been avoided. Congress
    could have done what Republicans should suggest now: Shift to a system
    that allows individuals—not businesses—to buy health insurance tax
    free. They could also create tax credits for buying health insurance
    based on income and health status to guarantee everyone coverage and
    encourage medical care and insurance competition. Republicans should
    push to lower barriers for buying insurance across state lines, create
    incentives for states to repeal mandates, and limit frivolous lawsuits
    that increase the price of insurance.

But for the moment, our federal overlords have ruled. We better start
    adjusting to our new status as good Europeans.

Last edited:

SD45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I just enjoy how on various "news" (I use the term loosely) agencies are talking about how the Democrats are getting a "boost" in the polls due to the bill's passage.

Give it about 10 years and we will see what people think....of course it will be so embedded in the society it will be impossible to get rid of....

5.56'aholic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    <- tragic boating accident
    I just realized that liberals are a lot like getting herpes: you dont realize how bad you are going to get it while they are screwing you because they make you feel good at the time; but afterwords the pain sets in and then you realize your screwed for life.

I wonder how many dems are feeling this way right now?

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I just realized that liberals are a lot like getting herpes: you dont realize how bad you are going to get it while they are screwing you because they make you feel good at the time; but afterwords the pain sets in and then you realize your screwed for life.

I wonder how many dems are feeling this way right now?

I for one don't feel good right now. When you watch the running of the bulls in Madrid, and you see somebody get trampled, that's how I feel now. Just imagine how much worse I will feel in ten years. :puke:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I am working from old memory here. So excuse my error in thought...

Could the Governor and the State Legislature just declare nullification of this bill?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Do you have a link to where this is posted? I would like to verify that our governor actually stated this.

If true, I think we need to petition Danials to start removing the state of Indiana from the former United States of America. This health care bill is nothing short of fed take over of state and personal responsibilties.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I am working from old memory here. So excuse my error in thought...

Could the Governor and the State Legislature just declare nullification of this bill?
    Yep. If they had the guts to force a constitutional crisis. Which, judging from Mitch's previous caves to the feds (REAL ID) is unlikely. I don't see him as a strong supporter of the 10th Amendment.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Do you have a link to where this is posted? I would like to verify that our governor actually stated this.

If true, I think we need to petition Danials to start removing the state of Indiana from the former United States of America. This health care bill is nothing short of fed take over of state and personal responsibilties.
    I ran into the same thing this morning. (Bad Carmel!)
    From WSJ

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Yep. If they had the guts to force a constitutional crisis. Which, judging from Mitch's previous caves to the feds (REAL ID) is unlikely. I don't see him as a strong supporter of the 10th Amendment.

So my next question is then.

Why sue the Fed over this?
    Why not have the States force the issue though nullification?

I guess it was actually 2 questions... :dunno:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i dont think the dems are getting any kind of REAL boost from this bills passage. yes they may be getting a FICTIONAL boost from the pro lib media, but all the numbers i have seen put obama and the dems FAR BEHIND after this folley

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

Why indeed? I've stated a preference for nullification before and some states (even a couple who are currently suing) have nullification legislation pending or passing in their states. Asserting states rights is the most powerful argument, since the courts are likely to rule against the states (in part or in whole). Putting the whole thing in the hands of black robed morons is a sure recipe for getting stuck with it. Better to go the nullification route and establish dominance over the beast.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

As the governor says, a lawsuit may be a longshot but why not try? The federal government will ignore any attempt at "nullification." And who is going to stop the IRS from collecting the taxes and the other 100,000 armed special agents of the federal government from enforcing it when nullification is ignored? The National Guard, a federal reserve military force that just got called into federal service? The IGR? It's an exercise in impotence. And, if you really, really want to do it, nothing keeps you from trying it if you lose the suit.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    As the governor says, a lawsuit may be a longshot but why not try? The federal government will ignore any attempt at "nullification." And who is going to stop the IRS from collecting the taxes and the other 100,000 armed special agents of the federal government from enforcing it when nullification is ignored? The National Guard, a federal reserve military force that just got called into federal service? The IGR? It's an exercise in impotence. And, if you really, really want to do it, nothing keeps you from trying it if you lose the suit.

so your post hinted on possible military options to enforce the government illegal new laws of this bill. you seem to think that because states might be outnumbered that they should just lay down and surrender. well im glad our founders didnt do that against the british, or we wouldnt even be talking right now.
    you wanna cut the head off the beast in todays society, then you render hm impotent by means of cutting off his money at the state level, and then secure the state borders next if it comes to that. no way would the federal govt win against the states if they stood up.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    It just keeps gettin' better and better!
    I can't wait to see what other fun stuff we will find in this piece of :poop: legislation.

Source;
    FSSA: Health Care Change Will Cost Ind. $400M - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

FSSA: Health Care Change Will Cost Ind. $400M

Agency: Drug Rebates Will Go To Federal Government Now

POSTED: 3:36 pm EDT March 26, 2010
    UPDATED: 3:56 pm EDT March 26, 2010

INDIANAPOLIS -- The new federal health care law will cost the state more than $400 million over the next 10 years in lost prescription drug rebates, according to the heads of the Family and Social Services Administration.
    In a memo Friday from FSSA Secretary Anne Murphy, she claims the state will lose $25 million next year in rebates that will now go to the federal government.
    "The new federal health care reform legislation increases the minimum rebate level for more brand name and generic prescription drugs," Murphy said in the memo. "Unfortunately for Indiana, the savings we achieve now will be confiscated by the federal government at a cost to Hoosier taxpayers."

She said the loss for the state will continue to grow each year.
    Gov. Mitch Daniels and his aides insist the new health care law will cost Hoosiers hundreds of millions of dollars and will force a tax increase.
    But according to figures provided by Rep. Brad Ellsworth, D-Ind., who hopes to take the seat being vacated by Sen. Evan Bayh, and confirmed by aides to Rep. Mike Pence, R-Ind., the new health care law will require states to substantially increase the number of people eligible for Medicaid.
    For the first three years of the expansion, Washington will pay 100 percent of the increased cost that begins in 2014, with that amount being scaled down to 90 percent after 2019. That leaves Indiana covering only about $20 million a year.
    Murphy said FSSA will complete a full study of the federal health care law.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    so your post hinted on possible military options to enforce the government illegal new laws of this bill. you seem to think that because states might be outnumbered that they should just lay down and surrender. well im glad our founders didnt do that against the british, or we wouldnt even be talking right now.
    you wanna cut the head off the beast in todays society, then you render hm impotent by means of cutting off his money at the state level, and then secure the state borders next if it comes to that. no way would the federal govt win against the states if they stood up.

No, I said try the easy way first before going for the hard. The first thing the founders did is NOT shooting British troops. They didn't even start by seeking confrontation. It was many years of quartering troops in patriots' houses, and trials in admiralty courts in Canada or Britain, and taxes without representation in Parliament, closing ports, dissolving colonial legislatures, seizing colonial lands and shooting protesters before the Declaration was contemplated and signed.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    No, I said try the easy way first before going for the hard. The first thing the founders did is NOT shooting British troops. They didn't even start by seeking confrontation. It was many years of quartering troops in patriots' houses, and trials in admiralty courts in Canada or Britain, and taxes without representation in Parliament, closing ports, dissolving colonial legislatures, seizing colonial lands and shooting protesters before the Declaration was contemplated and signed.

Yes and we're not acting like this is the first atrocity against the people either. They've been doing things unConstitutionally for decades now and completely ignoring the will and wishes of the People. They lie to us and do as they wish and have been for a long, LONG time.

I do agree, start with filing suit. If they put it off and put it off, go nullification, even though I have no idea how that works. If that doesn't work... :dunno:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I think those that oppose Obamacare are going about it the wrong way. They keep talking about "repeal" and all that. If they can't repeal it, then it looks like a loss. Just putting themselves in a position to fail.

They need to get on TV/radio and start asking the public "what has law changed? How does it affect you? Are saving money?" and so forth.

Keep asking the public questions... they'll keep saying "Nope, not getting what I thought we'd get". Make the administration show they are making progress.

Kind of like all those stimulus bills that haven't resulted in "shovel ready" jobs.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I think those that oppose Obamacare are going about it the wrong way. They keep talking about "repeal" and all that. If they can't repeal it, then it looks like a loss. Just putting themselves in a position to fail.

They need to get on TV/radio and start asking the public "what has law changed? How does it affect you? Are saving money?" and so forth.

Keep asking the public questions... they'll keep saying "Nope, not getting what I thought we'd get". Make the administration show they are making progress.

Kind of like all those stimulus bills that haven't resulted in "shovel ready" jobs.

100% agree with you there on making the public aware.

Top Bottom