• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The term 'obsolete' is applied too broadly usually. Maybe it could apply to specific uses but even that Savage is not obsolete if it was all that was available for carry. I don't expect to hear of it replacing the M17 for the Army but you certainly cannot say that it has no use.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just now watching a vid where someone who has carried many of the popular 9mm.
    One was a cut above the rest in his preferences & experience, making the rest obsolete.
    He started with "the King," in his opinion: the Glock 26 (my favorite for awhile)
    Others were:
    Sig 365 & then XL later (had about 4 of the 365)
    Shield (never met a Shield I didn't like & had multiples of them)
    Hellcat Pro (just never came across the right deal for one)
    Taurus GX4 (presently have one)
    Sig 365 Spectra Comp (don't even know what this one is, haha!)
    and
    there was some kind of Walther in the mix (had it years ago)

He is totally sold on the Shield Plus being a level above all others.
    Interesting, since I've had a similar journey with nearly everything mentioned.

I bought two of the Shield Plus (in 24 hours) with one another being a Performance Center to try out, having had variations of the Shield prior.
    I kept the Plus Performance Center b/c a friend wanted to buy the regular Plus.
    They both shot the same with my eyes & hands, but I always wanted a
    SW with the "Performance Center" upgrade. :rockwoot:
    I totally quit looking to replace that particular size of CC for my needs.

B/C a friend (Zackcz) challenged me against my prejudice with his taunts :lmfao:, I picked up the
    Taurus GX4 recently as a size of CC between my very small Kahr CM9 & the Shield Plus PC.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just now watching a vid where someone who has carried many of the popular 9mm.
    One was a cut above the rest in his preferences & experience.
    He started with "the King," in his opinion: the Glock 26 (my favorite for awhile)
    Others were:
    Sig 365 & then XL later (had about 4 of the 365)
    Shield (never met a Shield I didn't like & had multiples of them)
    Hellcat Pro (just never came across the right deal for one)
    Taurus GX4 (presently have one)
    Sig 365 Spectra Comp (don't even know what this one is, haha!)
    and
    there was some kind of Walther in the mix (had it years ago)

He is totally sold on the Shield Plus being a level above everything else.
    Interesting, since I've had a similar journey with nearly everything mentioned.
    Then, like him, I bought 2 of the Shield Plus (in 24 hours) with one another being a Performance Center to try out.
    I kept the Plus Performance Center b/c a friend wanted to buy the regular Plus.
    They both shot the same with my eyes & hands, but I always wanted a SW with the "Performance Center" upgrade. :rockwoot:
    I totally quit looking to replace that particular size of CC for my needs.

B/C a friend (Zackcz) challenged me against my prejudice with his taunts :lmfao:, I picked up the
    Taurus GX4 recently as a size of CC between my very small Kahr CM9 & the Shield Plus PC.
    That sounds like the doddg we all know and love, lol! I'm boring. I have had two carry guns in my life: a Taurus 85CH and a Shield. I'm counting the three Shields I have owned over the years as "one". I sold my first one and immediately realized it was a mistake so I bought a 2.0 Shield. The upside was I got a slightly nicer pistol and no external safety which I prefer. Then I bought a Shield+. That is what I carry but I'm not 100% sold on it. I actually prefer my 2.0 standard Shield. The mags on the Plus are very hard to slam home. So much so that I download them one round. But I keep working it when at the range to see if it will loosen up some.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I've owned many an obsolete firearm. My oldest is a Remington 541T 22lr rifle. Tac Driver, iron peep sights to at least 100 yards. After that, seeing target is rough.

Handguns vary, but my M10 S&W 4in revolver doesn't miss a beat at 50 yards. Its brutal at 10 yards CQB. 1911, Sig 226, Glock19, Glock45 is newest. All older except G45-5.

Cleaned and maintained, all work like they were built. New or old, they are a personel defense tool.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    The current market and marketing is very interesting. A lot of opinions on what people should or should not carry. Everybody is different, needs, wants, body size and hand size. Pick what you want shoot it and carry it.

I have had a carry permit for 28 years. I have carried a lot different handguns in that time. Currently carry a Glock 43X, with shield arms mags. I like the full grip short slide.

I might be in a small group, but I would like to see Glock make a 26X, 19 frame with 26 slide.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    There’s another obsolete gun in my holster today. This is a DW A2 Commander. It doesn’t have a rail, has wood grips and it only has an 8 round capacity, so I’m doomed. Doomed for sure.

:)
    Call me if you need backup… mine only holds 8 rounds as well so… between you an me… wait for it… 16!
    That’s right! 16 rounds between the two of us! What in the Lords name would the world do if you and I decided to hang out! My goodness the world would be doomed!
    DW Valor in .45
    Darn obsolete guns and they’re doomed owners. :lmfao:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I would not want to get shot by one of those.
    Well most likely if they were aiming at you at 15yds it would probably hit your buddy beside you.

Actually I know modern made smoothbore pistols can hit at 20yds if you do your part.
    Not sure how accurate they were back when they were made in the 1700's

Last edited:

Ed steinberry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2022
    New castle
    The O word has been tossed about a lot lately due to the availability of larger capacity micro guns. Tim, over on the Military Arms Channel has been suggesting that the Glock 19 is now obsolete due to the availability of the 17 round Sig P365 Macro. What does INGO say on that matter?

From my perspective, if a handgun has quality ammo available, is reliable and can be mastered with practice, then it is a viable weapon for carry if it suits the need. By suit the need, I mean that a .22lr Derringer has its use, but it’s not suited for use as a primary duty weapon. Similarly, a Ruger Redhawk in .44 Mag is a great weapon in the back country but it would be tough to conceal in a gun unfriendly environment.

To that end, there are very few obsolete guns out there today. Merriam-Webster defines obsolete as having no use or not current. Any gun still manufactured does not meet the ‘Not current’ test. Any handgun that has ammo available, and is reliable in function, does not meet the ‘no use’ qualifier.

But, the new wonder micros sure do push some older guns out of the limelight though. 17+1 in a smaller, thinner, lighter package does make a Glock 19 less appealing if you can shoot it just as well.
    The g19 is a perfectly sized gun. I wish someone like shield arms would come out with a flush fit higher capacity mag like they did for the 43x though. But I can’t see a 19 going obsolete. I carry a 43x now because I can get flush fit 15 round mags yes, but I still like my 19 and carry it since I shoot better with it. The baby glock 26 may be going out of business though. I do not see the point in that thing lol.

Ed steinberry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2022
    New castle
    I wouldn't. Never would have. I know Glocks are good, reliable guns, but the ergonomics are just all wrong for me.
    I felt this way too originally. I was forced to start carrying a Glock for my job and I’m not gonna lie it grew on me. I couldn’t get it to jam and it is very accurate. I now never leave The house without a Glock or two.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Obsolete: Falling into disuse. - or - Being in the process of passing out of use or usefulness

The Ruger SR9 out [capacitied] the comparable sized Glock years ago... as did the Glock and Beretta M9 to the 1911... Neither the Glock 17 or 1911 are obsolete, especially not in the way that a cap and ball is. Cap an ball may still kill but -THEY ARE OBSOLETE - in self modern self defense terms.

A Commodore 64 with an acoustic coupler dial-up modem is obsolete by almost every measure since it is no longer practical or even possible to use in modern computing... the Glock platform, 1911, and even revolvers will not ever be "obsolete" until the introduction of handheld directed energy weapons.

Each still preforms the exact same function as each other. It's merely a matter of preference of style, capacity, and function as to which you choose.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you look at a pistol like the original S&W Shield and compare it to the Shield+, one could say the original is obsolete. Sure it still works fine and will fill it's intended role.

And I suppose if someone is on a budget and can pick one up for considerably less money than a + model, then it's not obsolete.

But in a definition of obsolete, I'll say that the + model made the original obsolete.

And there are others that have taken a similar route as manufacturers have figured out how to get more rounds or add a red dot option, etc. without changing the basic design and functionality of the firearm.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Obsolete really depends on the perspective of the user I think. If my needs are such that I require 60+ rounds on my person and need to have mag compatibility with others in my team, then a revolver would be obsolete to me if the team carried Glocks. But, if I’m just needing to have a credible level of self defense, that revolver is good to go.

I’ve been buying P229s over the last couple of years and they are one of the best handling pistols I’ve owned. But, from the police departments that sold them’s perspective, they might be obsolete if they have no use in the department. If there’s no armorer, or other support that a department might mandate, it is a gun that is of little use to them and could be considered obsolete from their view.

Top Bottom