• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hollywood has created so many misconceptions about guns, it's almost amusing when you run into folks whose primary education on firearms is entertainment media. Back in my NFA days I listened, and then politely answered questions.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Obviously people think that they are above answering and educating those that know less than you. What makes you think you are superior because you know something they dont? Take the time to be a ambassador for firearms and the shooting sport in general. The basic facts are we need numbers and educated people promoting firearms. I have met enough condescending people that think they are better than anyone else. Your attitude, in general, just wont help because that one person you talk down to may end up being the one person we need to support us.
    I get some stupid questions in my line of work as a nurse. I just smile and am grateful that i have the chance to educate someone that otherwise is clueless. I wouldn't put myself on such a pedestal if I were you. I am sure you have areas where you are deficient also.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    My favorite is the macho NY guy who came up to the counter of a range in S Florida. He said his magazine would not feed. Somehow he loaded the 9mm with the cartridges backwards!

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Training is essential.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I get some stupid questions in my line of work as a nurse. I just smile and am grateful that i have the chance to educate someone that otherwise is clueless. I wouldn't put myself on such a pedestal if I were you. I am sure you have areas where you are deficient also.

There's a difference between innocence and just plain stupid.

I know jack about medical terms and sicknesses, diagnosis, etc. I'm not going to start going on and on about how to do something medical related when I don't know anything about it.

I know jack about vehicles and fixing them. I know what gas to use, and know how to change my tire and other basic stuff. I'm no mechanic and not going to pretend to be.

But there's people out there who thinks that since their brother's friend's buddy is a mall cop that they know everything about guns. Or just because your frat buddy is an Eskimo brother to some super secret black seal team 905 special ops that they can't talk about because the men in black would come and make them disappear and he taught you everything there is to know about guns and people refuse to realize that what they learned is wrong, there's no chance on educating them.

That being said....like I said, I'm no mechanic. But I know not to put diesel in my engine. I know not to drink antifreeze. You'd think that if someone purchased a gun, they'd learn what type of ammo goes into it.

We all know or have met someone that thinks they know everything there is to know about their gun or just other gun info, and they'll get in a fist fight to prove their knowledge, even if they are wrong.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    "This is a good deal."
    "This is rare."
    "This is collectible."
    "This does not make you look fat."

Oops, sorry, the last one was from a different venue than the gun shop.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Some of my alltime faves

A Contender rifle has to have a frame that was sold as a rifle.
    .44 mag will drop a deer in its tracks, will blow fist sized holes in it.
    a .22 LR shotshell is like a mini shotgun....great for home defense
    Racking a shotgun is good to scare badguys.
    Indiana allows rifles for deer but they have to be single shots or lever actions, or straight walled pistol cases.
    Beams...............you gots beams?? ( asking about lasers).

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I find myself relating this to a discussion we had on the golf course today. I added a bit of wisdom gleaned from a teaching pro some years ago. "The problem many 16 handicappers have is they take their lessons from a 14". Translation for the non-golfers: The totally uninformed often gather expertise from the almost totally uninformed.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I find myself relating this to a discussion we had on the golf course today. I added a bit of wisdom gleaned from a teaching pro some years ago. "The problem many 16 handicappers have is they take their lessons from a 14". Translation for the non-golfers: The totally uninformed often gather expertise from the almost totally uninformed.

What's a handicap ?

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Obviously people think that they are above answering and educating those that know less than you. What makes you think you are superior because you know something they dont? Take the time to be a ambassador for firearms and the shooting sport in general. The basic facts are we need numbers and educated people promoting firearms. I have met enough condescending people that think they are better than anyone else. Your attitude, in general, just wont help because that one person you talk down to may end up being the one person we need to support us.

Interesting statements: first, the poster dresses down "people" for thinking they are "superior." The poster addresses "condescending" people who "talk down" to another person. The poster then claims to smile and be grateful to educate someone, which is very admirable. The poster closes with his or her final condescending statement, "I wouldn't put myself on such a pedestal if I were you."

Sorry, your post is full of condescending, berating, superior-than-thou pronouncements. Hmmm, something about pots and kettles?

Anyway, some of the posts are very entertaining--many of them authoritative, ridiculous claims and statements from folks at ranges and gun shops. The best one I have heard is a fellow who, in a gun store, loudly proclaimed that Glock makes the best 1911s. Not to say that I have never stuffed my foot in my mouth, but that one was a humdinger!

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    A handicap is what you end up with when you don't know what you're doing and end up shooting yourself in the foot! I am about as green as they come so I like knowing there are more seasoned folks out there who remember what it's like to not know anything and are at a loss to know how to discern good advice from b.s.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The best one I have heard is a fellow who, in a gun store, loudly proclaimed that Glock makes the best 1911s.

I was not being loud, just proud.

glock-1911-640x480_zpsng0wv0th.jpg

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    My brother who is looking for a small concealable handgun out in California asked about one at this local gun store based on my recommendations (I have one and love it). The guy behind the counter said they weren't available in California, but the closest thing that he had to was a Glock. I got a good laugh out of that! Those guns couldn't be more dissimilar. A Plastic framed striker-fired vs. an aluminum framed hammer-fired...

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    My brother who is looking for a small concealable handgun out in California asked about one at this local gun store based on my recommendations (I have one and love it). The guy behind the counter said they weren't available in California, but the closest thing that he had to was a Glock. I got a good laugh out of that! Those guns couldn't be more dissimilar. A Plastic framed striker-fired vs. an aluminum framed hammer-fired...

You didn't say what gun he had in mind.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    "I don't see any 45's, are you out?"
    "Hmm, don't see anything labeled 45. Here, try this. It's only a 44 but it says magnum on it. That should bring it up to at least a 45."

Said by the girl working in the toys department of the Greenville, OH Kmart way back when they sold ammo. Given the keys by the manager while the sporting goods guy was at lunch so he didn't have to leave his office to walk to the back of the store.

Top Bottom