• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    My wife had a similar issue with OC, she preferred I carried CC and I did while around her. She is my wife and because I respected and loved her she eventually on her own said she was alright with it and I began to OC around her. Remember your wife is not your opposer if she knows you care about her and demonstrate your love towards her I am betting in time she will change her mind. But if you force it on her it will be an argument that never goes away.
    I only did this for her, when others did not like my OC like an incident in Aldi's I politely declined their request to cover it up. Nobody is on an equal level with my wife and I consider her feelings above everybody else including my own.
    She's standing right behind you, isn't she!?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    250px-Michonne2_%28TV_Series%29.jpg
    She's standing right behind you, isn't she!?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My wife does the exact same thing. I think it's either insecurity or that she thinks I'm an idiot for carrying at all and does not want to be seen with stupid. Or, a little of both, which seems to be the case for my situation.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I have been told by INGO members that its an extension of my man hood :D

What does that say about me?

Just for fun... You COULD also decide that your wife's feelings are more important to you than your desire to OC, regardless of their reasons or validity, just because she's your wife and you love her and you care about her comfort. Yeah, I know, but "what about her safety?! It's my job to keep her safe, and I know what's best!" Got it. Save the typing. Just offering a wild and crazy point of view. In my experience, sometimes your wife wants to have the false impression that you HEAR her and care about her opinions and feelings.

My grandfather had a saying: Do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy?
    Well, if we're going this route. Why is her concern with what others think more important than his choice to carry as he sees best. I'm betting if the situation were reversed and he asked her not to wear something because he didn't want all the other lads drooling and committing lustful acts in their hearts, she'd probably tell him to pound sand. (This is geared more towards any given wife in general, not the OP's specifically.)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    What does that say about me?

Well, if we're going this route. Why is her concern with what others think more important than his choice to carry as he sees best. I'm betting if the situation were reversed and he asked her not to wear something because he didn't want all the other lads drooling and committing lustful acts in their hearts, she'd probably tell him to pound sand. (This is geared more towards any given wife in general, not the OP's specifically.)
    Tell her to go pound sand.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Dude, this is between you and your wife. If you're looking on INGO for support, that means you've made up your mind. But if you've made up your mind, why ask? To strengthen your conviction, perhaps? Our words don't mean anything in your marriage at the end.
    :+1: I agree. Personally, I would acquiesce and cover it up. My marriage is more important than my right to OC.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    My wife disliked when I would OC during the summer. She was worried of scaring people. But she soon found out that 99% of people are to busy in thier own world to even notice. Once I was talking to a worker at Lowes for over 10 minutes before he realized. I think it still "bothers" her a little when I choose to OC. But she doesn't say anything about it anymore.

I just wish she would do a better job of carrying her firearm. "Where's your gun honey?" In my purse..........in the trunk.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Just for fun... You COULD also decide that your wife's feelings are more important to you than your desire to OC, regardless of their reasons or validity, just because she's your wife and you love her and you care about her comfort. Yeah, I know, but "what about her safety?! It's my job to keep her safe, and I know what's best!" Got it. Save the typing. Just offering a wild and crazy point of view. In my experience, sometimes your wife wants to have the false impression that you HEAR her and care about her opinions and feelings.

My grandfather had a saying: Do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy?

Happy wife Happy life........Just saying. I think you should do as you wish but trust me when my voice of experience tells you make her at least think your every wish was her idea :)

These 2 posts are where I am. My wife has gotten used to me always carrying, but if I attempt to OC, she has plenty to say. I usually just do it to get a reaction anyways...from her that is. In her mind...I think...if I carry a larger handgun, OC, I must be looking for trouble...not really sure. Maybe I should ask her. Maybe when I CC, she's thinking...Well if it makes him happy. Really I think she feels a little more secure when she knows I have a pistol with me.

nobek102

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    My wife has never said anything about me carrying concealed or OC but she was raised in a family that taught her about firearms... Over time I'm sure she will not care... Some people just feel different about guns

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    Theres been a couple times my girlfriend didnt even realize I was open carrying. But we get a good laugh when we are out and people gawk.

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    My wife had trouble when I first started carrying.......even CC. She has warmed up to the idea, and thinks that is a good thing now. It will take time, but she will eventually warm up to the idea of OC. Mine took about a year or so before she was comfortable with it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Just a GF and no wife here.
    The GF didn't really pay any attention to my 1911 hanging on my side everywhere we went. Since she's now EDC a 1911 she owns fancy colorful grips, matching holsters, matching shoes, matching ammo pouches in every fuloking color imaginable. I don't care what she wears I guarantee that she can OC and dress matching for any occasion.
    I'm ALMOST ashamed to go out with her sometimes. I always thought of OC as a way of life instead of a fashion statement and accessorizing.

Rick60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Bloomington
    I must have a keeper.... She carries her ruger sr9c everyday and chastises me when I don't carry.... Also tells me to carry OWB because I have a right to...Hmmmm I think I love her!

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    This is an interesting topic. I would agree somewhat with ATM's perspective of her possibly projecting "her own insecurities" just not necessarily in the way that sounds. They aren't necessarily "her" insecurities.

Psychologically, women are more prone to emotionally driven thought and their brains/body chemicals have developed to make this prevalent/efficient. So, they are prone to view things from a perspective of "how things make OTHERS feel" through empathy and will therefore sympathetically, alter their actions to avoid making others feel negatively. This motivates their usual response to confrontation to be an attempt of avoidance, which is what you're experiencing/noticing.

I agree that to some extent, she will get over it in time. It's not that she'll get over it in terms of getting used to others' reactions necessarily, as it is an acceptance that YOU will not change your ways. That will vary from person to person. She will still likely feel negatively about it because she doesn't want to be the cause of others' negative feelings. In this case, it may be something for you to discuss with her from a logical "why do you care so much about how a random person feels" perspective. Sometimes, this gets across to such a person more effectively than others.

This man is a genius. He obviously know what makes women tick. I salute you sir. :bowdown:I didn't think anyone did. When I have asked my wife why you did this or that she just answers I don't know I just did. Oh....that explains it. :dunno:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

^^^ This.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    So what do you carry by the way? I've open carried a few times, but I prefer to hide it. I'd rather not draw attention to myself or make my wife uncomfortable for that matter.
    The important thing is to take it with you, no matter how you choose.

Top Bottom