• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I have noticed this. Is a street running past a school building considered "being on campus"? Just curious about a possible traffic stop and how campus police would handle that. I have seen the campus stop a car on a city street before, so it is difficult to know for sure if you are on or off the campus.

I try to avoid that part of town as much as I can...

I too try to avoid anything east of 37 in the Bloomington area if I can help it.

Interesting fact i just came across, the building and land that Lenny's/BBC occupies is listed in the Monroe County GIS as being owned by the IU board of Trustees. So is carry in those establishments governed by IU policy?

CMac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    B-town
    I too try to avoid anything east of 37 in the Bloomington area if I can help it.

That's basically the entire city of B-town. You're missing out on some great places!

I went to Indiana Wesleyan and was under the impression I wasn't allowed to carry. Is that because IWU is private and IU is public, or was it simply untrue?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    That's basically the entire city of B-town. You're missing out on some great places!

I went to Indiana Wesleyan and was under the impression I wasn't allowed to carry. Is that because IWU is private and IU is public, or was it simply untrue?
    It is not illegal in either case. It is just against their policy.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011

While Bloomington does have somethings to offer me, I have been there, done that. I have lived here long enough to know exactly what there is and where it is in Monroe county. If there is some reason I need to go into Bloomington, I do it quickly and with purpose, then I get out. There is no reason for me to be just hanging around there with a bunch of college kids. Everything needed for me to sustain life and enjoy it can be found west of 37 and south of Tapp Rd.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This can apply just about anywhere. I cc when I take my daughter to dance practice . I figure an "artsy" place like that has a bunch of liberal moms sitting around and I don't feel like listening to the bs like "why would you bring a gun someplace with a bunch of kids?!" So I just make sure to keep my jacket on when I'm waiting for my daughter to get done with practice.

You could tell them,
    "Why don't you carry around the kids? Don't you want to protect them from a madman? If someone crazy comes in and starts shooting, your child will die because you did nothing".

waross

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    I posted in here yesterday that as regards to campus; if you’re an employee or student you should refer to the handbooks and regulations for both. And if not a student there is a vague possibility that the campus being a state school (i.e. public school) could be considered a school as used in Indiana Criminal Code banning carry on school grounds. I am unaware if a case has been taken to court to clarify the definition of "school" or not. However it is something to be considered. I had posted links in here yesterday; however someone must not have like my post as I no longer see it here.

As for open carry in general; I have the view point that is somewhat a napoleon approach. Oh look at me I have a gun and want to show it off as if I am too short of stature or some such non-sense.
    If I were a deranged madman intent on going on a shooting spree in a mall the first person I would take aim at is the person with open carry, then after that I would probably use that weapon as well.
    And no one in here can tell me that they are always aware of all the people around you. It's just not possible.
    The other thing to think about is having to protect that firearm in the instant some crazed lunatic decided to attack you and attempt to take your weapon. Having it open carry makes it much more vulnerable. And in a battle retention of the weapon is vitally important.
    I would much rather carry concealed and let know one know I have a weapon until the point I need to draw it and use it for the protection of myself or others.
    But then I don't have self esteem issues I am trying to overcome by announcing to the world I have a gun on me.

Last edited:

CMac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    B-town
    As for open carry in general; I have the view point that is somewhat a napoleon approach. Oh look at me I have a gun and want to show it off as if I am too short of stature or some such non-sense... I don't have self esteem issues I am trying to overcome by announcing to the world I have a gun on me.

I CC every day and have not OC a day in my life, but I understand and respect the arguments for it. You might want to check this thread out.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lf_defense/71996-the_open_carry_argument.html

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Only 3 posts in and waross has succeeded in doing something for me no one else on this forum has yet managed.

I now want negative rep reimplemented, just so I can negrep waross's last post here. So. Much. Fail.

C'mon now, CIB.

Partake of his wisdom! Universities are now "schools" and carry is verboten. Someone else can point him to the statutes. I have lost my will.

I agree, though. Good way to come out of the gate.

At least it's not all in caps...

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    As for open carry in general;.....Blah Blah Blah Blah.

hFEA59404

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I posted in here yesterday that as regards to campus; if you’re an employee or student you should refer to the handbooks and regulations for both. And if not a student there is a vague possibility that the campus being a state school (i.e. public school) could be considered a school as used in Indiana Criminal Code banning carry on school grounds. I am unaware if a case has been taken to court to clarify the definition of "school" or not. However it is something to be considered. I had posted links in here yesterday; however someone must not have like my post as I no longer see it here.

As for open carry in general; I have the view point that is somewhat a napoleon approach. Oh look at me I have a gun and want to show it off as if I am too short of stature or some such non-sense.
    If I were a deranged madman intent on going on a shooting spree in a mall the first person I would take aim at is the person with open carry, then after that I would probably use that weapon as well.
    And no one in here can tell me that they are always aware of all the people around you. It's just not possible.
    The other thing to think about is having to protect that firearm in the instant some crazed lunatic decided to attack you and attempt to take your weapon. Having it open carry makes it much more vulnerable. And in a battle retention of the weapon is vitally important.
    I would much rather carry concealed and let know one know I have a weapon until the point I need to draw it and use it for the protection of myself or others.
    But then I don't have self esteem issues I am trying to overcome by announcing to the world I have a gun on me.

I am on my cell, so quoting the text is difficult. Do a search on the IC. School is defined. K-12. Not college or univ.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011

Welcome to :ingo:; here is some friendly reading for you: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...discussion/16185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html

Though you are correct in that it is worthwhile to check with employer or student handbooks to verify the rules so you know the consequences within the scope of their agreement with you, as to whether or not you can be fired, suspended, expelled.

However I'd also strongly urge you to read the laws so you understand those and what the law actually is and not just a viewpoint on them.

I OC east of 37 regularly, Yellowood, Deam, HNF, Brown County SP.

Don't think I've ever been in a Simon mall without both a firearm and a camera phone on my person.:dunno: Never had them tell me to leave, but perhaps that may be a route to explore to get out of being dragged along for shoe and makeup shopping.;)

waross

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Wow, thanks for heads up there Canav844, I have read the laws and some are vague at best and alot is open to court interpretation. I happen to know this as I have been in law enforcement for over twenty years and dealt with all sorts of firearm violations. I can also state I have never taken a firearm from a legally licensed gun owner as I support everyone responsibly owning a firearm. Knowing the law won't keep you from being fired from your job or expelled from a university if you violate their rules and regulations.

As for the definition of a school, the Indiana Code does not have a clear definition in the firearms section. Yes in other areas of the Indiana Code a school is defined as k-12. This is part of the reason that the whole Indiana Code needs revamped and updated so that attorneys can't make thousands of dollars arguing on an opinion. If it is clearly spelled out then there should be no argument on opinion.
    I looked into the IU campus stuff when my oldest daughter, who graduates from there on Saturday, went away to school as we talked about her having a firearm with her. Unfortunately there is no way around it as a student at this time.
    As for going to mall armed. LOL. I will walk through project housing in Gary on midnights unarmed before I go to the mall without a firearm. You only have the gang bangers and drug dealers in some of the project areas. In the mall you get all them and a whole bunch of other possible offenders in every form.
    And yes I will be carrying during the graduation ceremony at IU this weekend.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I don't think waross is right on campus carry being the same as carrying in a K-12 school, even if the IC doesn't define school. This is primarily because if carrying on campus were equal to carrying in a K-12 school, these guys who have posted on INGO about getting caught carrying on campus, or the guys in the news recently who got caught on campuses in Indiana, would be brought up on felony charges. But they have not been. The worst I've seen from these reports is a verbal warning from administration. For the kid at Grace College who left his bag with his gun in it somewhere and it was searched and the gun found, the newspaper said he may get disciplinary action from the school. I don't think a university administration would just give a verbal warning or disciplinary action, including expulsion, if carrying on campus even with a LTCH was a felony equivalent to carrying in a K-12 school, or on a school bus, or at a school function.

waross

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    rbMPSH12 - I never said I was right. I simple stated that in the firearms section of the indiana code it is not clearly defined as to what the definition of a school is. Yes, in other sections of Indiana code there are some definitions and they generally only pertain to that chapter and article. I am just saying it is vague and is one of the reason the Indiana Code needs updated and clarified much as the legislation has proposed.
    As for being on "caught" on campus, you will find the vast majority of law enforcement officers are strong supporters of the 2nd Amendment; and therefor as long a someone is legal licensed to carry a firearm and not committing any crime, the law enforcement officer generally will wish you well and send you on your way.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    ...... I happen to know this as I have been in law enforcement for over twenty years .......

........And yes I will be carrying during the graduation ceremony at IU this weekend.

And if the former is true, then regardless how the IC defines a school, then you are a part of the protected class of citizens. So why does it matter in your life what the IC says, or how it defines a school?

As for being on "caught" on campus, you will find the vast majority of law enforcement officers are strong supporters of the 2nd Amendment; and therefor as long a someone is legal licensed to carry a firearm and not committing any crime, the law enforcement officer generally will wish you well and send you on your way.

I have a feeling that the average citizen who is not exempted in the IC for carry on school property, such as LEO's are, will not be met with such pleasantries here in Bloomington. Just my opinion though.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I have a feeling that the average citizen who is not exempted in the IC for carry on school property, such as LEO's are, will not be met with such pleasantries here in Bloomington. Just my opinion though.

It's unclear to me what would happen in Btown. Could go either way. I've heard that people have called IUPD (Bloomington campus) to ask what happens if they catch someone carrying legally, and they have been told that IUPD basically does not tattle on people to the university if they catch them carrying with a permit, and would just verify they are legal and ask them to leave campus. I cannot confirm that first-hand, but that's what I've read on INGO. However, you never know what could happen if some anti-gun/fearful person on campus were to spot someone CCing. All hell could break loose depending on their reaction.

Top Bottom