• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    What a stupid thing to say. If I walk around with a SHARK WEEK T-Shirt on, am i guilty of instituting panic? Or how about an OBAMA SUCKS one?

WE are not RESPONSIBLE for the IRRATIONAL fears of OTHERS. They OWN those fears THEMSELVES....and should seek professional treatments, ASAP.

T-shirts do not generally kill people (at least while being worn). So the fear of a t-shirt in that state might be irrational.

Not take that t-shirt off, and present it in a way that indicates that you are ready to strangle someone, and now we are no longer in the realm of the irrational.

It's not just the t-shirt. It's the presentation.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    What a stupid thing to say. If I walk around with a SHARK WEEK T-Shirt on, am i guilty of instituting panic? Or how about an OBAMA SUCKS one?

WE are not RESPONSIBLE for the IRRATIONAL fears of OTHERS. They OWN those fears THEMSELVES....and should seek professional treatments, ASAP.

I love being called stupid for having an opinion BTW. Thanks for that. It reinforces the generalization that gun enthusiasts are not capable of civilized discourse.

It's really my favorite part of INGO. Unless I drink the INGO kool-aid 100% I'm stupid and obtuse.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    T-shirts do not generally kill people (at least while being worn). So the fear of a t-shirt in that state might be irrational.

Not take that t-shirt off, and present it in a way that indicates that you are ready to strangle someone, and now we are no longer in the realm of the irrational.

Guns do not generally kill people (at least while being worn). So the fear of a gun in that state might be irrational.

Unholster or unsling that gun, and present it in a way that indicates that you are ready to shoot someone, and now we are no longer in the realm of the irrational.

It's not just the gun. It's the presentation.

Rational discussion welcomed.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Guns do not generally kill people (at least while being worn). So the fear of a gun in that state might be irrational.

Unholster or unsling that gun, and present it in a way that indicates that you are ready to shoot someone, and now we are no longer in the realm of the irrational.

Which is a legit point. For you and me, OC by anyone is no different than a LEO OC. It's just another tool on the belt. Move along there's nothing to see here.

But that's not about rationality as much as about familiarity and comfort. Not just with the gun but with the carrier.

When you take communications 101 in college. The first thing you learn is that communications always involves two parties. The message I intend to communicate isn't always the message that gets received. And I'm partly culpable for that miscommunications.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    In sending my message, the priority recipients are those who are or would be threats to me.

If others, who pose no threat to me, receive the wrong message, it was certainly not my intent but neither is it of great concern - they weren't the priority recipients.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    In sending my message, the priority recipients are those who are or would be threats to me.

If others, who pose no threat to me, receive the wrong message, it was certainly not my intent but neither is it of great concern - they weren't the priority recipients.

So then you agree that there is an element of "sending my message" to OC.

I'll have to chew on the "priority recipient" aspect. That's an interesting paradigm.

I was thinking more in terms of broadcast traffic (ie a bullhorn. anyone with ears is going to hear) vs person to person traffic (ie a cell phone. Only the recipient can hear).

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Guns don't kill people either. People with guns AND tshirts do, however. Open carry is not a presentation, it is not brandishing.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I love being called stupid for having an opinion BTW. Thanks for that. It reinforces the generalization that gun enthusiasts are not capable of civilized discourse.

It's really my favorite part of INGO. Unless I drink the INGO kool-aid 100% I'm stupid and obtuse.

If the shoe fits.............. (Blaming someone who is open carrying for another persons irrational fears IS stupid)

And we have kool-aid? I thought we only had bacon.............

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

If someone walked around a parked car, and made comments that they were afraid the car was going to run over them, or try to kill them, folks would be calling for them to be hauled off to the loony bin.

The same should be held true of holstered weapons. They pose the same threat that a parked car does.

Now, if someone is brandishing, or coon-fingering it.......that is a whole different matter.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    So then you agree that there is an element of "sending my message" to OC...

For many, though not necessarily all, it is akin to a public notice such as, "violators will be prosecuted". It may offend a small portion of non-violators as well for whatever reason, but that wouldn't cause me to retract the warning or even reword it.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    If someone walked around a parked car, and made comments that they were afraid the car was going to run over them, or try to kill them, folks would be calling for them to be hauled off to the loony bin.

The same should be held true of holstered weapons. They pose the same threat that a parked car does.

Now, if someone is brandishing, or coon-fingering it.......that is a whole different matter.

Respectfully disagree.

It is nothing like a parked car in the minds of the "public" for lack of a better term. Today's society is not used to seeing a firearm (in most parts of the country). They see a firearm as something designed to kill. Then judge the person carrying it. If its LE then to them it is familiar and "okay". A parked car is common everyday scenery. I have only seen very few people OC that wasn't LE. Just means its not something people see often and are familiar with.

Firearm phobias are only going to get exponentially worse over the years I fear.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    So then you agree that there is an element of "sending my message" to OC.

I'll have to chew on the "priority recipient" aspect. That's an interesting paradigm.

I was thinking more in terms of broadcast traffic (ie a bullhorn. anyone with ears is going to hear) vs person to person traffic (ie a cell phone. Only the recipient can hear).

Why haven't you responded to my last PM? I was expecting to hear from you.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    But you do concede that OC gives you "some sort of control over them" (surroundings).

Your apology is accepted (a la Stephen Colbert, I'm kidding)
    Negative. What I wrote doesn't mean that OC gave me control over the surroundings, but the surroundings themselves enables me to be vigilant and observant as to who is around me. When those conditions are met, then I OC...if the surroundings do not lend themselves to those conditions, I CC.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Negative. What I wrote doesn't mean that OC gave me control over the surroundings, but the surroundings themselves enables me to be vigilant and observant as to who is around me. When those conditions are met, then I OC...if the surroundings do not lend themselves to those conditions, I CC.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Respectfully disagree.

It is nothing like a parked car in the minds of the "public" for lack of a better term. Today's society is not used to seeing a firearm (in most parts of the country). They see a firearm as something designed to kill. Then judge the person carrying it. If its LE then to them it is familiar and "okay". A parked car is common everyday scenery. I have only seen very few people OC that wasn't LE. Just means its not something people see often and are familiar with.

Firearm phobias are only going to get exponentially worse over the years I fear.

They will only get worse if people do not OC more often.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    YouTube is my friend. No lack of folks (guys and gals) who believe the sight of a gun will "Stop the bad event before it starts".

I don't mind a good debate. But I hate it when we don't acknowledge the reality of the world and people around us.

It's not so different from the people who think no guns makes Chicago safer. It's BS and we call them out on it.

It's BS that gun carriers aren't aware that their sidearms have an intimidation factor.

So you have made a judgement call on all OCers, based on what sample size. A dozen videos on youtube, from across the country.
    Seems a pretty small sample size to make a judgement call.
    Do you do the same stereotyping on gender, race, nationality, etc.?

By the way, if I wanted to intimidate, the gun would be drawn, and I'd mumble to myself.
    Or maybe I'd just drink a beer and walk around swinging a baseball bat.

Now take the gun out, and present it in a way that indicates that you are ready to shoot someone, and now we are no longer in the realm of the irrational.

Respectfully disagree.

Well, they are certainly going to get worse if people don't see carriers in postive manners.
    And regardless of "perception", that car will kill a lot more people.
    To worry about the perceived threat of a gun, while surrounded by 2 ton killing machines.......
    How about baseball bats at a game. Baseball bats kill 2X more people than rifles do.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I prefer the idea that criminals walk around and scouts for prey and gets scared because he does not know who is armed. He walks from house to house and see signs where people say they have guns inside.

Top Bottom