• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Could you bring home your M16s and 1911s back then? Bet you wish you still had it... What would it be worth today? 20k? 25k?
    Noooo. Some guys may have tried shipping things home in pieces but they put the fear of God in me enough that I believed them when they said we'd do a year in LBJ (Long Binh Jail-a collection of conex shipping containers with slots cut in for a little ventilation so it wouldn't get over 120 degrees) and then still have to finish the rest of our tour. My unit didn't get M16s until late in my tour (rear units had M14s) but I still remember receiving it and taking it apart to clean all the gunk out. It was cherry.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Today my brother and I interviewed several real estate agents to sign with to sell our building. We're on Buchanan Rd in a mixed commercial, light industrial, residential area. When we showed the second pair, a man and woman, around the yard I pointed out a pair of running shoes laying on the ground and remarked that people wander through the yard at night and we have to always be careful when driving in. My brother said to me, "Are you carrying today?" I said I always do. One of the realtors said he does but it was in his car. I opened my jacket to show all of them my G23. The lady said, "Oh, my." (I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she was staring at my pistol ;)) We then had a nice discussion about; the zoo guy, riding a bike on the Greenway, open carry, etc. She said she carries pepper spray and I gave her a couple reasons to not depend on that. Both the realtors then brought up various scary encounters they've had over the years showing houses and being in rough neighborhoods. I do believe they got something out of our talk and they got to see a semi-sane guy carrying.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Today my brother and I interviewed several real estate agents to sign with to sell our building. We're on Buchanan Rd in a mixed commercial, light industrial, residential area. When we showed the second pair, a man and woman, around the yard I pointed out a pair of running shoes laying on the ground and remarked that people wander through the yard at night and we have to always be careful when driving in. My brother said to me, "Are you carrying today?" I said I always do. One of the realtors said he does but it was in his car. I opened my jacket to show all of them my G23. The lady said, "Oh, my." (I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she was staring at my pistol ;)) We then had a nice discussion about; the zoo guy, riding a bike on the Greenway, open carry, etc. She said she carries pepper spray and I gave her a couple reasons to not depend on that. Both the realtors then brought up various scary encounters they've had over the years showing houses and being in rough neighborhoods. I do believe they got something out of our talk and they got to see a semi-sane guy carrying.

Glad you came to your senses :laugh:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    O I forgot we did walk around the Merchants store also and we spent some time just hanging out in Washington Square mall. BTW Mr. Ortega we called you to see if you wanted to have lunch but you didn't answer for us!
    You carried in Wash. Sq. Mall ????? isn't that a Simon property ?????

Mrs_Frost

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    You carried in Wash. Sq. Mall ????? isn't that a Simon property ?????

Eastland is Simon property and you can't carry there. (Ben and I don't shop there anymore since they don't allow us to carry. Its kind of a shame because I like their stores better) Washington Square mall is okay though.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    We interviewed another pair of realtors today. When they walked in one of them immediately looked at my G27 on my left hip. Later in the walk-thru I mentioned that I've had licenses for over 30 years because of an incident in our yard. They both nodded but didn't comment.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Yesterday I ran into one of the realtors from post 331. My wife and I were at Wendys. It was a nasty day and I was pretty chilled and would normally have kept my jacket on while eating but I wanted the folks there to see the weapon so I took the jacket off. The realtor walked in and we talked for a few minutes. He probably thought, "this dude is seriously paranoid" but didn't ask any questions.

Today we went to Schlotskys for lunch. Again I took my jacket off before I got up to get drinks and napkins. I made two trips to the bathroom "exposed." A few people stared at the G27 on my hip. I carried the mini today because we had to go somewhere where "concealed means concealed" and I carried on my ankle. After we left there I put it back in my Black Hawk Serpa.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Finally! After all these months of purposefully carrying open to show people a normal civilian carrying a gun I got my first comment. My wife and I went to the west side GD Ritzys for a late lunch. There were 5 or 6 tables of other diners. I took my jacket off before sitting down and had on my G30 cross draw on my left side in a Serpa with a plastic clip on spare mag holder with a 13 rounder in it. A guy 5 feet to my left basically had a full view but said nothing. After 10 minutes my wife asked me to get her a knife. I walked by a table with a big guy and two women. After I sat back down I thought I heard him say "Glock." 10 minutes later most of the people had cleared out and the big guy and women were leaving. They dumped their trash and the younger woman was looking at me, sort of smiling. The big guy came over, stopped about 5 feet away and said, "I'm glad to see you exercising your 2nd amendment rights." I said thanks and we had a pleasant conversation. He said he was carrying and I asked what it was. He proceeded to pull a little 642 out of his pocket and show it to me!! Yikes! I didn't say anything but WTF. We then had a good talk for a few minutes about what he carries and I told him I didn't know open carry was even legal in Indiana until 6 months ago. We shook hands and he left. A good experience except for pulling the piece out of his pocket like it was a pack of gum.

Top Bottom