• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I recently purchased a box of INDEPENDENCE brand ammo in 9mm. When I opened the box I immediately noticed that the casings showed different stages of tarnish, some new-looking but many were very dark and blotchy. Another thing that caught my eye was that several appeared to be different lengths, 3 different lengths actually. I have never noticed this before with other brands of ammo but since this is my 1st box of Independence I thought I'd find out if this is normal with their ammo? The casings all appear normal so I am thinking that maybe some were seated farther in the casing. Is this ok or should I discard the oddballs. I don't think I'll be buying any more of their ammo if this is how good their quality control is.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    That's some poor quality control, for certain. I would be concerned of what other issues there are that you can't see. I don't think I'd use the ones that look normal, either.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Where did you buy this? I would bet these are not what originally came in the box but someones crappy reloads.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    The cases appear to be the same length BUT the bullets are seated to different depth (OAL). Yes, take the whole box back. Seating too deep will cause over pressure condition. I agree that even an inexperienced reloader wouldn't vary that much in OAL. Crappy QC.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'd be interested in seeing how the case heads are stamped. Independence ammo is made by the same people who brought you Speer and CCI. They have a very good reputation.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I believe that IMI is Israeli made mil spec ammo. Are those primers crimped? It looks like it from the pic. It also looks like the primers are sealed. Independence sources their brass from different places from what I understand so they may have gotten surplus brass somewhere to load. Why the length is different is is another problem. No way I would shoot it. I would take it back from where I bought it.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Read the headstamp. 2 of the cases say "9mm-Luger" and the other says "9mm Luger" with no
    hyphen. That ammo didn't even come from the same lot. The primer sealant isn't the same on the 3 cases (2 blue, 1 red), brass isn't new, different OALs, different brass. That is not IMI ammo. I wouldn't be surprised if the LGS is putting crap reloads into new boxes.

Independence is made by Federal, Federal is owned by ATK. IMI is owned by the Israeli government

This is the Independance headstamp.

Last edited:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Wow! I don't know what that crap is. Is the store a shady place? Looks like reboxed mixed ammo.

I have shot a lot of Independence. Same blue and white box. It was stamped Blazer. CCI Does make Blazer Brass. Someone above mentioned CCI as well.
    Whenever my LGS gets it it is stamped Blazer.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Wow! I don't know what that crap is. Is the store a shady place? Looks like reboxed mixed ammo.

I have shot a lot of Independence. Same blue and white box. It was stamped Blazer. CCI Does make Blazer Brass. Someone above mentioned CCI as well.
    Whenever my LGS gets it it is stamped Blazer.

ATK also owns CCI and Blazer. They actually own a LOT of companies in the industry. Wouldn't surprise me that Independence would use any brass from one of the manufacturers owned by ATK.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have never gotten factory fresh ammo that had different headstamps. Whatever is stamped on them is the same for the whole box. I would be very suspect of tampering and would not trust them in my pistol. Something is not right, Return them.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I recently purchased a box of INDEPENDENCE brand ammo in 9mm. When I opened the box I immediately noticed that the casings showed different stages of tarnish, some new-looking but many were very dark and blotchy. Another thing that caught my eye was that several appeared to be different lengths, 3 different lengths actually. I have never noticed this before with other brands of ammo but since this is my 1st box of Independence I thought I'd find out if this is normal with their ammo? The casings all appear normal so I am thinking that maybe some were seated farther in the casing. Is this ok or should I discard the oddballs. I don't think I'll be buying any more of their ammo if this is how good their quality control is.

First off it is very doubtful this is newly manufactured ammunition. Independence makes "remanufactured" ammo, as well as new. New ammo all has the same headstamp brass. This obviously does not. Seating depth, and possibly bullet weight appears to be all over the place. Don't shoot it. I would take it back. A lot of gun shops will not refund ammo. If that's the case, see if you can work out an exchange for something that IS new. They at least owe you that. Especially if they want to keep your business.

Top Bottom