• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Out shooting snub guns today and couldn't remember if I had mentioned this 32-20. This is a Colt Police Positive Special from 1921 and would have come from Colt's custom shop. The 2 inch barrel was not standard for this model at this time and the Detective Special would not be introduced until 1927 and then chambered in 38 special or 32 S&W.

The 32-20 started out life as a Winchester 1873 cartridge but was picked up in revolvers by both Colt and S&W. With the arrival of smokeless powder this cartridge picks up a lot of power around the turn of the century prompting ammunition manufactures to offer "rifle only" ammo for guns like the Winchester 1892. With the 357 magnum off in the future, not introduced until 1935, ambitious revolver owners experimented with this overpowered ammo in their guns providing what must have been the "poor man's magnum" of the 1920s and early 1930s. Perhaps Robert Johnson's song, "32-20 blues", reflects this in it's lyrics.

Today, it's a great cartridge for the hand loader. It surpasses the 327 magnum when loaded correctly and used in strong guns, but most of the old guns benefit from reduced loading.

While worn this example still has excellent timing and solid lockup, so I doubt it saw much shooting at all. It's the only 32-20 example I've seen, the other 2" was in 38 special. It's pictured here with a period EE Clark holster.

pps3220.jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Out shooting snub guns today and couldn't remember if I had mentioned this 32-20. This is a Colt Police Positive Special from 1921 and would have come from Colt's custom shop. The 2 inch barrel was not standard for this model at this time and the Detective Special would not be introduced until 1927 and then chambered in 38 special or 32 S&W.

The 32-20 started out life as a Winchester 1873 cartridge but was picked up in revolvers by both Colt and S&W. With the arrival of smokeless powder this cartridge picks up a lot of power around the turn of the century prompting ammunition manufactures to offer "rifle only" ammo for guns like the Winchester 1892. With the 357 magnum off in the future, not introduced until 1935, ambitious revolver owners experimented with this overpowered ammo in their guns providing what must have been the "poor man's magnum" of the 1920s and early 1930s. Perhaps Robert Johnson's song, "32-20 blues", reflects this in it's lyrics.

Today, it's a great cartridge for the hand loader. It surpasses the 327 magnum when loaded correctly and used in strong guns, but most of the old guns benefit from reduced loading.

While worn this example still has excellent timing and solid lockup, so I doubt it saw much shooting at all. It's the only 32-20 example I've seen, the other 2" was in 38 special. It's pictured here with a period EE Clark holster.

View attachment 221985
    Very cool.

Do you think it was cut down or original?
    The placement of the lettering makes me think it wasn't cut down.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Very cool.

Do you think it was cut down or original?
    The placement of the lettering makes me think it wasn't cut down.
    It's original, these were made by request of the Colt custom shop. I've been told by Colt collectors that 38 special was the requested cartridge which would make the introduction of the Detective Special a logical follow on. John Fitzgerald is active at Colt in this time period and Colt custom makes an unknown number of Fitz Specials, modified and short barrel Police Positive Specials. I'm sure all this activity convinces Colt to roll out the Detective Special in 1927.

At wide intervals I see Colt Army/Navy revolvers from the 1890s in shorter barrels, but priced very high. Someday I'll find a deal.:)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge and the items of which a lot of us would most likely never experience firsthand. interesting stuff.

Top Bottom