• jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So this is a win for liberty correct?
    The short summary is police can't bring a dog to your front door step to sniff inside without a warrant. If I'm reading this correctly.

Also these judges did not agree with that right?
    Justice Alito filed a dissent joined by the Chief Justice, and Justices Kennedy and Breyer

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So this is a win for liberty correct?
    The short summary is police can't bring a dog to your front door step to sniff inside without a warrant. If I'm reading this correctly.

Also these judges did not agree with that right?
    Justice Alito filed a dissent joined by the Chief Justice, and Justices Kennedy and Breyer

Yes

Yes

a 5-4 margin. Sad :(

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I was shocked that Kagan and Sotowhatever agreed it was a violation of the 4th

I think this stands in evidence of the apparent fact that partisan politics is nothing but bad theater and the teleprompter generally says the same thing no matter who is reading it.

That said, I am happy to see a setback to the writ of assistance on a leash.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Justice Alito found nothing special about the fact that the police brought a drug sniffing dog with them (after all, “Dogs have been domesticated for about 12,000 years; they were ubiquitous in both this country and Britain at the time of the adoption of the Fourth Amendment.”).

Really? I am not a legal scholar, but this seems odd.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    In cases like these I like to check who favors police state tactics and who didn't.

So which party do I need to vote for to make sure the constitution is defended on the SCOTUS?

NO to warrantless dog searches of private property
    Antonin Scalia (R, Reagan)
    Elena Kagan (D, Obama)
    Sonya Sotomayor (D, Obama)
    Ruth Bader Ginsburg (D, Clinton)
    Clarence Thomas (R, Bush I)

YES to warrantless dog searches of private property
    Samuel Alito (R, Bush II)
    John Roberts (R, Bush II)
    Anthony Kennedy (R, Reagan)
    Stephen Breyer (D, Clinton)

Court opinion: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12pdf/11-564_jifl.pdf

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    In cases like these I like to check who favors police state tactics and who didn't.

So which party do I need to vote for to make sure the constitution is defended on the SCOTUS?

NO to warrantless dog searches of private property
    Antonin Scalia (R, Reagan)
    Elena Kagan (D, Obama)
    Sonya Sotomayor (D, Obama)
    Ruth Bader Ginsburg (D, Clinton)
    Clarence Thomas (R, Bush I)

YES to warrantless dog searches of private property
    Samuel Alito (R, Bush II)
    John Roberts (R, Bush II)
    Anthony Kennedy (R, Reagan)
    Stephen Breyer (D, Clinton)

Court opinion: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12pdf/11-564_jifl.pdf

It almost makes you wonder if they start with the decision and then decide how they are going to divide up the votes to mess with our minds.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It almost makes you wonder if they start with the decision and then decide how they are going to divide up the votes to mess with our minds.

I have ALWAYS said that we argue that Obama will put in liberal Justices or that Bush put in conservative and that is how the Court will lean but that is false logic. While there might be a few that are clearly one side or the other, most vote outside of the political leanings of the party that placed them there. This is a good thing. What I DO see from time to time is people complaining about decisions from the USSC that they do not agree with and condemning the entire system then later on a decision that they DO agree with now voice support to the same system that they earlier hated. As an LEO, I take interest in these types of decisions and as a fellow citizen take interest in all the rest. I have no issue with this decision and their logic behind the decision makes sense to me. However, there have been decisions that the USSC has made that I do not agree with but I still fully support the system that produces these decisions. Quite frankly, I wished that MORE laws/procedures were challenged as there is too many poorly worded poorly implemented laws/procedures and clarification is always welcome. FTR I have never handled a run where I bought a K9 onto a porch to sniff for drugs. If I could smell it and I was there legally...PC...no need for a K9. If I was there and could not smell drugs, then why do I think there were drugs inside? If I had other information then MAYBE I will have enough PC for a warrant, if not, time to leave. If I asked a K9 to do the same I swear they would think I was crazy...most don't like sniffing for drugs anyway.

Top Bottom