• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    This was our first year gardening and we've been happy with our meager little garden's results

10qt canned tomatoes
    2 qt ketchup
    5 qt corn
    5 qt squash
    5 qt zuc.
    3 ripe watermelon (probably 9 that didn't make it)
    Bunch of carrots (don't know how many, we've already ate them)
    3 qt beans

Everything is done except the beans. I'm still able to go out about every third day and pick a handful. We've also got about 20 tomatoes in the kitchen, some ripe, some green, which are being ate on salads and hamburgers or else we fry the green ones.

This was sort of our "test run" to learn the ropes. Also our first time water canning with tomatoes. We're planning to go bigger next year, incorporate some fertilizer and purchase a tiller, Lord willing.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    my pole beans are still producing like crazy and i am basically done picking them lol. they have had such a tough string its not even worth eating. they were peeling well but not anymore and its just to much work lol. from now on i'm sticking to strictly stringless bush beans, they are so much easier and mine are now producing again.

my tomato's are growing like freaking crazy. i picked about 50 plus yesterday and made pasta sauce, they are covered in green and varying stages of ripe ones best year so far for sure. my potatoes are all dead except 2 plants but i'm going to wait until the end of summer to dig them up so they store better.

my watermelons and cantaloupes are going like gangbusters too. i have at least 20 cantaloupes on the vine and 4 watermelons that are ready to be picked. i have already harvested 3 lol. i'm going to end up trying to freeze some for juice later because i can't eat them fast enough.

on my last note my fermenting crock just showed up and i have 5 cabbages that need shredded and added for some amazing kraut :)

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I actually have recognizable pumpkins growing now, apparently round 2 came along after the squash borer pest things, lol. Looks like I might end up with almost a dozen... Will have to get pics and post them up, huge difference from the last pics I posted, they've gone nuts!

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    This was our first year for a potted garden. We have had been picking tomatoes steadily since the end of June and there still coming. Were still picking bell and Jalapeno peppers. and we had about a half dozen zucchini. We have been really happy so far with our yield.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    AHA!!!! The green beans started producing again. I probably won't get enough to can, but if I can find room in the freezer, we'll have some for 4-5 meals, I hope.

Anybody want some jalapeno peppers. I can't possibly use all the ones my plants are producing. I think the fruit outnumber the leaves.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    88gt my green beans went crazy again also. i think i might have enough to can :) my jalapenos have also started producing like wild again. tomorrow i will be pickling them and banana peppers :)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    88gt my green beans went crazy again also. i think i might have enough to can :) my jalapenos have also started producing like wild again. tomorrow i will be pickling them and banana peppers :)

DON'T FORGET TO WEAR THE GLOVES!!!!!!!!!!

says the gal who forgot and didn't wash her hands after chopping eight of them for the salsa tonight. I'm in hell right now, or at least my hands think they are.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    DON'T FORGET TO WEAR THE GLOVES!!!!!!!!!!

says the gal who forgot and didn't wash her hands after chopping eight of them for the salsa tonight. I'm in hell right now, or at least my hands think they are.

lol fortunately the heat doesn't bother me like that until i have to pee :) then it's serious. i'm one of those strange folks who can eat half a ghost chili and not die right away but i appreciate you looking out. also the best way i found to neutralize it is to make up a paste of backing soda, water, (and a bit of tobacco if you have some) otherwise baking soda and water paste, coat the hands and you should be ok after a bit. i found out the first time i did my ghost chili's after i cut up about 6 and my hands literally felt like they were in a oven.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    So here's my lil' pumpkins, neglected them this week with the horrid heat at work, the vines might perk back up a bit, but even if they don't, the pumpkins are almost full-grown (yes, 3" white pumpkins, lol.)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Our little patio garden isn't doing too bad. I just made a batch of refrigerator pickled sweet peppers, and will have enough for another small jar in a few days.
    We've been eating tomatoes at a decent pace, but the stand out is the basil plant! I have several quart baggies of basil in the freezer, and will have another baggie in a few days.
    The dill died on us the first time I harvest, but the chives are troopers too.

Not bad for a few pots on the patio.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I was really burnt out on my garden this year, it was not near as good as in the past. It looks like a disgusting mess now, and I usually get complimented on having a nice garden!
    But now the seed catalogs are arriving, and I'm starting to plan for 2012.
    Is it getting time to start a Garden 2012 thread?:)
    I'm thinking about trying some different things...

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I was really burnt out on my garden this year, it was not near as good as in the past. It looks like a disgusting mess now, and I usually get complimented on having a nice garden!
    But now the seed catalogs are arriving, and I'm starting to plan for 2012.
    Is it getting time to start a Garden 2012 thread?:)
    I'm thinking about trying some different things...
    I have mixed emotions about this past season too. Really excited about next year though!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I had a great season. was it the best? definitely not but I still got some killer fresh veggies and peppers. hell I already started my 2012 garden

I put in 350 cloves of garlic. some great spicy varieties :)

clarky51

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Placed a big order for open-pollinated / heirloom seed over Chirstmas break. Last year was the fourth year I've done a garden solo. So far I have been doing a lot experimenting. 2011 went ok but we had a 36 x 50 garden but it wasn't big enough and I didn't space things out enough. Then my wife had a baby in June and we lost control to the weeds. So I bought a rear tine tiller in the fall and expanded the garden fence to 60 x 50 and built a garden shed. I can't wait for spring!

Top Bottom