• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Well I was running late getting into blind around 6:45-6:50. Heard 3 shots between 7:30 and 8:00 and then silence. At 8:40 had 7 does and a decent 8-10 point (Couldnt tell in the brush) come in that were aparently bumped up on the adjacent prop. I had no shot so just watched. After they left i did some grunting and rattling around 9:20 and then waited. About 9:35 I had a buck coming in that I knew was small but was big bodied deer. Gave me a shot at about 80 yards broad side. Noticed as he approached the he had something crazy going on with one side which peaked my interest. Shot him, followed blood trail about 75-80 yards and found him. He was a broke up 9 with a double main beam on the left side. Kinda cool even though hes not a monster. I have never seen a double main bema in the woods let alone shot one. Good morning, I saw 9 and dad saw 4 all does. Going back out tommorow to try for a doe. Good luck all. Ill try to post pics later on.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Got my very first deer this morning!! I know I'm a little late to the game (19 years old), but none the else, I felt like a little kid on Christmas after getting her. She made it about 50 yards after shooting through both lungs with my .44 magnum. 120 lbs after field dressing.

I was hunting on private land out in Hardinsburg in Washington County, but it sounded like a warzone out there. I would not be surprised if every hunter in that town got a deer. I saw about 8 does, and my buddy's dad who was with me saw 8 different bucks. It was a perfect morning.

2012-11-17120931.jpg

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Well I did not see anything this morning. Hunting on public property had me ready to dig a fox hole though. At certain points it sounded like a war zone had opened up a few hundred yards to my right. I started to feel left out that I was apparently not the only one shooting at stuff. My cousin's theory was that PETA types go out in the woods and shoot the place up to scare the deer, who knows. Only saw one dead deer coming out of the woods after all those shots.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Congrats Lammchop93.

Had 5 or 6 does and 2 smallish bucks walk by this morning, couldn't get ashot at any of them because of the brush. Went out this afternoon to a spot where I could get a better shot but didn't see anything. The spot I picked for today was squirrel central though, at one time I had 7 tree rats within 30 yards of me.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Congrats on the 1st Lammchop. Sat til 11 am, saw one deer that didnt provide a shot. NW Franklin co. sounded like everyone was shooting this morning. I am surprised I didnt see more deer.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Not big, not small. 80 yards, both lungs gone, he went over two fences, 30ft total and fell over.

200gr Nosler Accubond, 2520fps from an Encore with a MGM 358WSSM barrel.

photo1.jpg

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Got my very first deer this morning!! I know I'm a little late to the game (19 years old), but none the else, I felt like a little kid on Christmas after getting her. She made it about 50 yards after shooting through both lungs with my .44 magnum. 120 lbs after field dressing.

I was hunting on private land out in Hardinsburg in Washington County, but it sounded like a warzone out there. I would not be surprised if every hunter in that town got a deer. I saw about 8 does, and my buddy's dad who was with me saw 8 different bucks. It was a perfect morning.

2012-11-17120931.jpg

1. Congrats
    2. It's never too late to start...got my first on my 18th birthday...just keep at it...the skills require honing after an absence.

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Got a button buck this morning around 7:30am. Came running out of a thicket 85 yards out.Thought it was just a young doe til I went down to field dress lol..I can now say that the Hornady .45cal XTP Mags work great on deer.I wondered how there performance out of the muzzleloader would do on thin skinned game.
    Already processed him and stuck his butt in the freezer instead of heading back out this afternoon.Ready for a good nights sleep and I'll be in the stand shortly

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    Got to my spot about 0600. Had one walk about 15 yards in front of me about 10 minutes after. It was still to dark to even tell if it was a buck or a doe. Busted this guy about 1000. Decent 8 pointer. Dressed out at 140lbs. 175 yards with a .450 Bushmaster.

buck.jpg

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Skipped the morning half of the gun hunt at Crane. Was just too tired and needed the sleep. I know many of the guys check-in after midnight and sleep in their trucks until they launch at 6am. My back won't let me do that anymore. I'll go after lunch when many of the exhausted ones give up and go home.

I short round arse was just too pooped from humpin in the woods yesterday. I lost 30 pounds this year to be in better shape to deer hunt and am doing better, but I need to lose another 50 for next season.

Good luck to all in the woods today!

Last edited:

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Here's my little 6 pointer, 62 yd shot with an 11/87, hastings barrel, Winchester Xp3 sabot, not the biggest buck, but he'll do and be quite tasty as well. Nailed him right at sun rise, he'd walked under my stand, literally, 45 min before but it was too dark to see thru my scope yet, so I waited and he circled back. 125lbs dressed, Sorry for the crappy picture, cell phone pic at about 0730 ish, give or take a couple min.

6pointer.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Got my first deer last night. I hunted a lot when I was a teenager, but never made a kill. I was with several guys that had luck on those hunts and always felt like I had a score to settle.

So last night I returned to one of my old spots after 15 years. Got in the woods about 3pm. Just before 4 a spike walked within about 15 yards and was begging to be shot. I passed on him after seeing a bigger bodied deer in the thicket behind him.

Turned out to be a nice doe. She circled around my stand and came into a good shooting lane about 50yds away. Once she was broadside and not looking at me, I fired and MISSED! Not sure if it was nerves, bad aim, mis-judged distance, or all of the above.

Fortunately she literally walked about 10 yards forward and stopped in another shooting lane. This shot dropped her in her tracks. I watched her struggle to get up for a few minutes, before staying down. After 1/2 hour I walked up to her and she tried to get up, but her back legs didn't work. She was trying to pull herself away from me and was turned about 3/4 to me.

I shot her again in the heart/lung area just behind her left shoulder and killed her on the spot. Turns out the first shot was high and broke her back a few inches high of what would otherwise be a good shot.

My old Rem 870 12ga and 20 year old Federal Rifled Slugs did the trick!

IMAG0269.jpg

So...at 33 years old I can finally say I got my first! Can't wait for the summer sausage and tenderloins!

(Yes, those are the same camo coveralls and orange hat I wore when I was 18 as well!)

Last edited:

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Good opening morning.

I shot this guy saturday morning. About a fifty yard shot. Not the prettiest rack by any means, but he'll put a lot of meat in the freezer.
    2012-11-17095401.jpg

There is also a busted off tine under my right hand. I was really surprised the slug didn't exit. I found it just under the hide on the off side. I use 2 3/4" 12ga Accutips out of a rifle barreled 870. I've taken several deer with this setup and this is the first one that didn't exit. It did it's job though, killed the deer and expanded beautifully.
    2012-11-17154048.jpg

2012-11-17154059.jpg

Top Bottom