• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Well, I ordered my first parts tonight for this build.

I decided I'm going with a rifle length set-up. Most likely a 20" barrel. So for now, I'm gathering parts to build the lower. I ordered a Magpul MOE fixed rifle stock with buffer kit. Got it from Buckeye Tactical for $99 plus free shipping.

magpul-ar-15-moe-rifle-stock-w-dpms-buffer-assembly-kit-2.gif

Next up is the LPK. I want a half decent trigger, but I'm not ready to shell out for a two stage. I'm intrigued by the BCM enhanced lpk, but it's out of stock pretty much everywhere.

For now the plan is to finish the lower as soon as I can, and use an existing upper. I'll be piecing the new upper together over the next year or so as funds allow.

I'm going the other route. I'm building the upper first. I'm going with a 20" as I only have 1 of them and it's a Rock River Bull in stainless. Sucker weighs a ton but is very accurate. I'm wanting a 20" I can shoot free standing or on a bipod. Plus being able to suppress it is a plus. I plan to finish it with parts from the 1500 then start getting the parts for the lower. Hopefully Allen will have some deals on optics!

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I'll either will build the wife an A1 type if she is on board. I told her it would be my 5yr anniversary gift for next year to her, or go the 9mm route and get the tax stamp for a suppressor and dive into the hassle so many have talked about.

WarJunky91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2016
    Decatur
    Anybody got any decent leads on a parkerized/blued/dark finished 16 Inch Heavy Barrel? The only thing i can find that isn't stainless so far is Rock River Arms and that is ready as an A2 style assembly and they want $255 for it. I wanted to do a shorter build this time, but heck i think i might just throw another 20 inch Stag Arms heavy barrel on if i can't find anything decent.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Rifle stock and buffer kit are en route. Now I'll be looking for a good LPK.

Hopefully I can hit the ground running and start assembling the lower as soon as the receivers come in.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Anybody got any decent leads on a parkerized/blued/dark finished 16 Inch Heavy Barrel? The only thing i can find that isn't stainless so far is Rock River Arms and that is ready as an A2 style assembly and they want $255 for it. I wanted to do a shorter build this time, but heck i think i might just throw another 20 inch Stag Arms heavy barrel on if i can't find anything decent.

Doesn't specifically say it is a heavy barrel, but given the profile and the weight of 1.9 lbs I would say that it is. If you click to see the other photos it gives the exact dimensions.

GM-M8 16" Mid Length gas system 5.56 NATO - Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Co.

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'm not doing anything with mine right now. Just gonna stash 'em in the safe. I've already got build #7 and #8 going simultaneously right now. All I need to complete both of them is a 10.5" barrel, 2 BCG, and 2 stripped uppers. Besides, I learned on INGO that when crunch time comes that I can sell my INGO lowers in the classifieds for 3x what I paid for them.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm not doing anything with mine right now. Just gonna stash 'em in the safe. I've already got build #7 and #8 going simultaneously right now. All I need to complete both of them is a 10.5" barrel, 2 BCG, and 2 stripped uppers. Besides, I learned on INGO that when crunch time comes that I can sell my INGO lowers in the classifieds for 3x what I paid for them.

fixed it for you :rolleyes:

WarJunky91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2016
    Decatur
    Doesn't specifically say it is a heavy barrel, but given the profile and the weight of 1.9 lbs I would say that it is. If you click to see the other photos it gives the exact dimensions.

GM-M8 16" Mid Length gas system 5.56 NATO - Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Co.
    That looks like it is a medium contour barrel, a Heavy Barrel will step down from the chamber and step down again at the gas block. But that looks like a decent barrel and it is in stock, so if i can't find anything else i might just use that one. Thanks!

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I think I'm going to do a 18" rifle with Magpul rifle stock and 15" keymod or m-lok rail. An SPRish rifle if you will.
    Thinkin something similar. Haven't decided on stock yet, but I'd like to try the minimalist with a really light barrel and hand guard to see if they can balance out. Top it with a 1-4 or 2.5-10 maybe and it'll be an SPR/Race gun kind of style.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    3-4 weeks delivery time folks! Hopefully all goes smooth (*knock on wood*). I'm scheduled to be in Bloomington on the 14-15 of April so hoping it works out time wise, and I can get the lower while in down there.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    I'm really conflicted... I ordered 2 lowers. I was origionally thinking 1 for me, and a matching rifle for my daughter that I would give her when she is older. Now I'm thinking maybe my wife should get one as well, but that means I don't get one... Hmmmmm, should I be selfish, or maybe just wait until the next group buy.... Decisions, decisions...

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I'm really conflicted... I ordered 2 lowers. I was origionally thinking 1 for me, and a matching rifle for my daughter that I would give her when she is older. Now I'm thinking maybe my wife should get one as well, but that means I don't get one... Hmmmmm, should I be selfish, or maybe just wait until the next group buy.... Decisions, decisions...

Happy Wife Happy Life. I would suggest giving each of them one. Then you can get one in the next round. You'll get the joy in building 3 of them. If your daughter is old enough have her either help you or build hers. The more she knows the better shooter she will be. (While you wait on the second round you can "field test" the first 2.)

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    I'm thinking of building into a A4 in FDE... but this is my first AR build and I carried an M16A2 in the service.

My goal is something like the colt:
    coltar15a4mpfde.jpg

I could use a little help filling in the gaps.. right now I have picked out:
    Magpul MOE Rifle Stock - Flat Dark Earth MAG404-FDE
    PSA Premium 20'' 5.56 NATO 1:7 Rifle Length A2 Profile - Without BCG or CH - 8915 - Barreled Upper Assemblies - AR-15
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319180134/magpul-pmag-m2-moe-magazine-ar-15-223-remington-30-round (PMAG in FDE)
    Magpul MOE M-LOK Hand Guard, Rifle-Length ? AR15/M4 - FDE - - MAG427-FDE
    Palmetto State Armory MOE K2 LPK - FDE - 42310

I haven't decided on a rear sight or a carry handle. I have a BCG and CH picked out, just budget PSA options. And I'll need to pick up an INGO dust cover if I can make it to a 1500!

What am I missing here? Buffer tube and spring (Any recommendations on a full-size tube for the MOE Rifle Stock)? Input on the build?

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think I'm going to do a 18" rifle with Magpul rifle stock and 15" keymod or m-lok rail. An SPRish rifle if you will.
    Good choice. An Mk 12 type would be killer sweet too. I just finished an SPR project with an 18" rifle length barrel. I went with an A2 stock. I'm digging it so far. Most of my stuff has pretty much been 14.5"-16" midlength. I was jones'n for a longer barrel SPR type. Finally went and put one together.

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Good choice. An Mk 12 type would be killer sweet too. I just finished an SPR project with an 18" rifle length barrel. I went with an A2 stock. I'm digging it so far. Most of my stuff has pretty much been 14.5"-16" midlength. I was jones'n for a longer barrel SPR type. Finally went and put one together.
    It would also be very appropriate. It was developed by the Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane, which is located in Indiana.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm thinking of building into a A4 in FDE... but this is my first AR build and I carried an M16A2 in the service.

My goal is something like the colt:
    View attachment 45998

I could use a little help filling in the gaps.. right now I have picked out:
    Magpul MOE Rifle Stock - Flat Dark Earth MAG404-FDE
    PSA Premium 20'' 5.56 NATO 1:7 Rifle Length A2 Profile - Without BCG or CH - 8915 - Barreled Upper Assemblies - AR-15
    Magpul PMAG M2 MOE Mag AR-15 223 Remington 30-Round (PMAG in FDE)
    Magpul MOE M-LOK Hand Guard, Rifle-Length ? AR15/M4 - FDE - - MAG427-FDE
    Palmetto State Armory MOE K2 LPK - FDE - 42310

I haven't decided on a rear sight or a carry handle. I have a BCG and CH picked out, just budget PSA options. And I'll need to pick up an INGO dust cover if I can make it to a 1500!

What am I missing here? Buffer tube and spring (Any recommendations on a full-size tube for the MOE Rifle Stock)? Input on the build?

Any rifle length mil-spec buffer tube should work with that stock. I ordered the same one, but it came as a kit with the buffer, spring and tube included.

As for the gas tube, you'll probably want to go rifle length there too if you go with a 20" barrel. Anything shorter could cause cycling issues.

ETA: Speak of the devil, my stock kit arrived in the mail today. :rockwoot:(Free 2-day shipping. Thanks Buckeye Tactical).

It came with the standard A1/A2 buffer which weighs in at 5.1 oz total. That's probably what you should be looking for there.

20160316_190407_zpstcuhy2ss.jpg

Last edited:

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    Any rifle length mil-spec buffer tube should work with that stock. I ordered the same one, but it came as a kit with the buffer, spring and tube included.

As for the gas tube, you'll probably want to go rifle length there too if you go with a 20" barrel. Anything shorter could cause cycling issues.

ETA: Speak of the devil, my stock kit arrived in the mail today. :rockwoot:(Free 2-day shipping. Thanks Buckeye Tactical).

It came with the standard A1/A2 buffer which weighs in at 5.1 oz total. That's probably what you should be looking for there.

Thanks! I'll take a look at that kit on buckeye tactical.

Top Bottom