• ...and so much more!
  • catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Oi, college is ridiculous.

Not only is it expensive. It's annoyingly time consuming.

I'm in a Women and Gender Studies course (woo?) and blahblahblah we only talk about feminism. Supposedly I am to learn things from this class. Well, I have, but it's not really what I think I was supposed to learn.

Example:
    One of the previous weeks, was several articles and papers on gender and violence. Each of the articles seemed to demoralize women, and state that they are incapable of defending themselves. Within the articles, they each touched on the only kind of assault a woman experiences was an form of sexual assault, and went as far as to explain that harassment isn't usually considered violence.

Excuse me?!

I wrote a substantive (and lengthy) post. It outlined ways in which women are attacked and how to be more aware of what an attack is (I used my color codes, white, yellow, orange and red, which shockingly enough is hard to explain to people only using text).

The response I received, 'Well, women are more passive, not aggressive.'

NO! NO.... I WROTE A BOOK, AND THAT'S ALL YOU GIVE ME!?

The rest of the posts from my classmates for that week, and most of the class, have been like ... 5 lines.

AND, I seriously doubt that they are the students real opinions. I need to get better at this pretending I care about whatever it is that I should care about. Feminism, not so much. Equality... meh.

I keep thinking that it might be a problem for me to finish this class. I've got four more weeks, I just need an A. I need ... a way to lie about what I actually think about this class.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I guess this was a required class? Catie, you strike me as an intelligent young woman...it's a gender studies class for heaven's sakes! If it were anything other than liberal blather and engraining the victimization of women in the students' minds, I'd be surprised.

You could exert a bunch of calories trying to enlighten and change their minds, but you'd likely not get the A you're looking for. Meh...Some classes, you just have to smile politely, nod at the appropriate times, and go to your happy place until its over.

Last edited:

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Where are you taking this class? It sounds like an online course.
    I would certainly hope so, otherwise why on earth would she take it?

(At the same time, I have no idea why it would be required)

Goodness yes it is an online course. But they have the in-class version as well. And with partner classes too! Yay!

I guess this was a required class? Catie, you strike me as an intelligent young woman...it's a gender studies class for heaven's sakes! If it were anything other than liberal blather and engraining the victimization of women in the students' minds, I'd be surprised.

You could exert a bunch of calories trying to enlighten and hangs their minds, but you'd likely not get the A you're looking for. Meh...Some classes, you just have to smile politely, nod at the appropriate times, and go to your happy place until its over.

It exhausts me just thinking about this class. It's 'required' because it's a 'diversity' class. Have to take ... two of the diversity classes. It was this or something equally stupid. Figured I could tolerate this better as it was online and I didn't have to 'listen' to it. I can just opt to not read it in this case.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I took a Women in Politics class...beer helps. Luckily it was immediately following happy hour at the bar across the street from my house. The best part was that I was College Republican President at the time, and very well known on campus for not exactly being quite about the conservative point of view. Ever had 30 short hair feminist "victims" targeting you for 16 weeks?

Their hobby must have been ignoring logic and facts.

My favorite story was that the whole class was arguing to me that girls cannot ask for a raise, not because the boss wouldnt do it because they are women, but rather because they have been socialized not to. Thats right in some manner they are physically incapable of it. I lost my mind.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Their hobby must have been ignoring logic and facts.

My favorite story was that the whole class was arguing to me that girls cannot ask for a raise, not because the boss wouldnt do it because they are women, but rather because they have been socialized not to. Thats right in some manner they are physically incapable of it. I lost my mind.

Seems to be the same path as the one I'm in. Apparently I'm not allowed to do things because we still live in the 50's or something.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, I was about to ask why are you taking this class, but since it's required, don't worry about it. You won't change any of the minds that "matter", and it's probably no point trying with any of the others. Just echo back what they tell you; you don't have to believe a word of it. Get through the "class" with the least resistance and tick it off to wasted time. Yes, you have to pay for it, but, overhead, you know.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Most of my professors embraced differing opinions, IF you backed them up.
    That said, I've heard stories like this about this type of class. And, most of the stories the professor is not looking for different opinions.

You can
    1) Try to educate.
    2) Just regurgitate info.

Your call.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I'm entertained by the posts in this thread. Thanks for the laugh I totally agree. I deal with idiots all day so it's nice to see there are some who actually exercise logic instead of letting emotions rule their life.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Oi, college is ridiculous.

Not only is it expensive. It's annoyingly time consuming.

I'm in a Women and Gender Studies course (woo?) and blahblahblah we only talk about feminism. Supposedly I am to learn things from this class. Well, I have, but it's not really what I think I was supposed to learn.

Example:
    One of the previous weeks, was several articles and papers on gender and violence. Each of the articles seemed to demoralize women, and state that they are incapable of defending themselves. Within the articles, they each touched on the only kind of assault a woman experiences was an form of sexual assault, and went as far as to explain that harassment isn't usually considered violence.

Excuse me?!

I wrote a substantive (and lengthy) post. It outlined ways in which women are attacked and how to be more aware of what an attack is (I used my color codes, white, yellow, orange and red, which shockingly enough is hard to explain to people only using text).

The response I received, 'Well, women are more passive, not aggressive.'

NO! NO.... I WROTE A BOOK, AND THAT'S ALL YOU GIVE ME!?

The rest of the posts from my classmates for that week, and most of the class, have been like ... 5 lines.

AND, I seriously doubt that they are the students real opinions. I need to get better at this pretending I care about whatever it is that I should care about. Feminism, not so much. Equality... meh.

I keep thinking that it might be a problem for me to finish this class. I've got four more weeks, I just need an A. I need ... a way to lie about what I actually think about this class.

There are now some select colleges that provide degrees in 3 years, and they don't make students take silly classes. Oxford (in England) is one of the most prestigious schools to do that, 3 years and you are an expert in your field and you don't have to take silly electives, save a year of room and board, and go out to get a job or on to an advanced degree. More schools need to follow this path.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    There are now some select colleges that provided degrees in 3 years, and they don't make students take silly classes. Oxford (in England) is one of the most prestigious schools to do that, 3 years and you are an expert in your field and you don't have to take silly electives, save a year of room and board, and go out to get a job or on to an advanced degree. More schools need to follow this path.

All the more reason for me to go to Europe. :)

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Oh, I'll be back. I can go get a degree there and come back here. I've only got a year and a half left of study, but if I cut out the 'fluff' courses.... I'd be down to a year. :D

Think it will all collapse before then? :)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I think that there will be an economic collapse in Europe fairly soon. Probably a break up of the Euro as a currency, leaving only the semi-stable nations (Germany, France) using it and dumping the parasitic nations like Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal, etc out of the Euro.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    My academic adviser tried talking me into taking a women's studies course as one of my diversity courses. I laughed in her face as I'd already heard about how the class would be and how it would be 99% females. I'm not exactly PC and from some friends that had taken it, I knew my not so PC thoughts and opinions wouldn't be too welcome. I ended up getting a waiver for those 3 credit hours.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My academic adviser tried talking me into taking a women's studies course as one of my diversity courses. I laughed in her face as I'd already heard about how the class would be and how it would be 99% females. I'm not exactly PC and from some friends that had taken it, I knew my not so PC thoughts and opinions wouldn't be too welcome. I ended up getting a waiver for those 3 credit hours.

Did it have anything to do with you saying
    "Women's study? Boom Chicka Bow Wow"

Top Bottom