• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    NRA`s Eddie Eagle program has taught children firearms safety for quite some time now.
    Yes, I know, but firearms safety is one thing.
    Profeciency is another matter entirely.

Civilian marksmanship should be taught as part of physical education.
    Eye/hand coordination, breathing control, patience, not to mention exercise when changing targets.
    They can even learn light mechanics they tear the guns down for cleaning.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.

There is a group that uses Michigan City Rifle Club for the 4H program.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute

There is a group that uses Michigan City Rifle Club for the 4H program.
    Riley Conservation Club has hosted Vigo County 4H Shooting Sports Club for about 15 years. They shoot air guns indoors during the cold months and rimfire when weather warms.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    NRA`s Eddie Eagle program has taught children firearms safety for quite some time now.
    I agree at a pre-k through 2nd grade level. At 5th grade a bit more age appropriate instruction sounds like a good idea to me.
    Teach kids about sex
    Teach kids about dangerous chemicals in the house
    Teach kids about dangerous electricity
    Teach kids about stoves
    Teach kids about steak knives

But GUNs.
    Oh no.
    I used a couple of those when I went to get Eddie Eagle into the local head start. The director was like well I don't know what we could classify it under. I asked what do you classify teaching about the dangers of stoves/matches/medications/outlets... She was "Oh general home safety", I'm like this is the same.

The looks of horror on some of the parents faces when I brought up a gun safety class for preschool was priceless. Then I explained exactly what it was/taught and that an estimated 40% of all homes have guns and that the percentage was higher in rural areas. They quickly got on board.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I agree at a pre-k through 2nd grade level. At 5th grade a bit more age appropriate instruction sounds like a good idea to me.

I used a couple of those when I went to get Eddie Eagle into the local head start. The director was like well I don't know what we could classify it under. I asked what do you classify teaching about the dangers of stoves/matches/medications/outlets... She was "Oh general home safety", I'm like this is the same.

The looks of horror on some of the parents faces when I brought up a gun safety class for preschool was priceless. Then I explained exactly what it was/taught and that an estimated 40% of all homes have guns and that the percentage was higher in rural areas. They quickly got on board.
    :yesway:

CWMC

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Jasper county
    Our county sheriff's office sponsored a firearms safety class. It was educational, and fun at that time. It would be nice to have another one every now and then.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Danged if you do, danged if you don’t.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I taught all 3 of my girls how to handle and shoot guns safely starting at about 5 years old. My youngest is turning 18 in a couple weeks and has expressed interest in getting her LTCH. She handles rifles and handguns better than some adults at the ranges I have been to.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Until they saw it was sponsored by the evil NRA.

Ive heard of school boards refusing to even hear about the program simply because it was from the NRA. Who obviously wants to indoctrinate students that guns are great. Even when told the basic premise of "Stop, dont touch, go tell an adult" is all it is, they still couldnt get over who created it. As if it contained "They Live" style subliminal messaging in the books.

Maybe if we could get the local chapter of the Communist party to put out similar training, we could actually get it in classrooms? (note the lack of purple)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Until they saw it was sponsored by the evil NRA.

Ive heard of school boards refusing to even hear about the program simply because it was from the NRA. Who obviously wants to indoctrinate students that guns are great. Even when told the basic premise of "Stop, dont touch, go tell an adult" is all it is, they still couldnt get over who created it. As if it contained "They Live" style subliminal messaging in the books.

Maybe if we could get the local chapter of the Communist party to put out similar training, we could actually get it in classrooms? (note the lack of purple)
    Actually the fact that it was NRA didn't even come up. I even said the NRA Eddie Eagle program and handed out the NRA fliers about it. But yeah I could see it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Actually the fact that it was NRA didn't even come up. I even said the NRA Eddie Eagle program and handed out the NRA fliers about it. But yeah I could see it.
    Ive seen the excuse in other areas. From parents and school board members alike. Man, talk about willing ignorance...

Top Bottom