• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I haven't kept up on any recent changes in Ohio.

A) I believe my LTCH is now recognized, correct? I also have my Utah permit, which worked previously.
    B) Do signs/policies carry the weight of law?

Anything else important to know? Not visiting anywhere "prohibited", I don't think. Restaurants, hotel, a few shops, and a Zoo property (hence, the sign question).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A good site to mark as a favorite: Handgunlaw.us

Yes, signs in Ohio have force of law.

BUT...

They MUST be official signs, and be posted specifically per the state laws to be valid in that respect.

For it to be enforced, it must be the official sign, posted within x feet of the door, a certain size or larger, etc.

What we typically see (below) would not fit the legal requirement:

No loud music
    No loitering
    No running
    No guns or weapons of any kind
    Hours are...

I thought it would be a bear to carry over there. I cant remember the last time I had to turn around and go to the car.

And dont forget its a "when in rome" situation. (must inform, etc)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Looked up the link provided by Handgunlaw:
    Lawriter - ORC - 2923.126 Duties of licensed individual.
    (a) Except as provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass under section 2911.21 of the Revised Code or under any other criminal law of this state or criminal law, ordinance, or resolution of a political subdivision of this state, and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation.

Looks like it just has to be "conspicuous".

Sigh.....

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Yep. I work in Cincinnati. There are signs all over my workplace that say "Possession of weapons is prohibited" The picture shows a revolver and has a big red circle with the slash through it. Looks pretty official to me. :) The security guys and the CPD officers that roll through will tell me the same thing I am sure.
    I don't run into to many signs anywhere else though, usually just medical facilities and places that serve alcohol.

Last edited:

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Whenever I see a sign with a gun & slash thru it, I take that to mean they don't want you to carry that revolver, Beretta, 1911, or whatever gun they have pictured. Fortunately, I have several different guns, so I will oblige them & not carry that specific gun, but I'll carry one of the others that they do not have pictured.

Also, my pistols are not weapons, firearms or whatever wording they use. It is a piece of personal safety equipment. ;)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I am happy to report that I have survived Ohio! A few items of interest to INGO:

1) The Schmidt Haus in German Village (Columbus) no longer has a Gun Buster sign! Their Reuben is OUTSTANDING. So is their buffet. Yes, we made two trips!
    Schmidt's | Real! German! Food!
    2) I HIGHLY recommend The Wilds, especially if you have kids. Great tour, and they do good conservation work. While they do have a no firearms policy buried on their website, there are NO signs anywhere I could find, and it is not mentioned in any literature I could find. My little girl had an absolute BLAST.
    https://thewilds.columbuszoo.org/
    3) The bucket from the Big Muskie (Big Muskie's Bucket, McConnelsville, Ohio) is near McConnellsville, OH. Hard to believe that everything in that area was terraformed by THAT bucket.
    4) The hill country south and east of Zanesville, OH is beautiful.

Oh, and construction on I-70 SUCKS.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yes, Ohio now recognizes Indiana's LTCH.

Yes, signs carry the force of law, if they meet the statutory requirements for language and conspicuousness:

The law does not say precisely what language must be on the sign.At a minimum, signs must be conspicuous and inform people thatfirearms and/or concealed handguns are prohibited. However,the law suggests that the prohibited locations post a sign thatsubstantially says the following:

Unless otherwise authorized by law, pursuant to the Ohio RevisedCode, no person shall knowingly possess, have under his control,convey, or attempt to convey a deadly handgun or dangerousordnance onto these premises.

An example of a standard warning sign approved for use on statebuildings appears below. If you see this sign, it means that youcannot bring your concealed handgun inside. Businesses andpersons wishing to post such signs are strongly advised to consulttheir legal counsel for language, style, format, and placement.

[picture of example sign here]

The sign is available to download from the Attorney General’swebsite at www.OhioAttorneyGeneral.gov.

For more information, go directly to the source:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...ations/Concealed-Carry-Laws-Manual-(PDF).aspx

danbailey24

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Rochester
    I often "carry" by keeping my xds in the truck... Anyone have thoughts for or against? It's not locked up, and I usually only take it on lengthy trips. I guess the uncertainty of the road (and the others on the road) urges me to do this. Is it.dumb?

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    Yes, signs carry the force of law, if they meet the statutory requirements...

"Unless otherwise authorized by law" Does not my LTCH authorize me by law to legally carry? :):

Is there any more clarification on how Ohio signs must be posted? I ran into one 8ft off the ground inside a second set of sliding doors partially obscured behind a crate way to the side. I almost missed it. It pissed me off.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

"Unless otherwise authorized by law" Does not my LTCH authorize me by law to legally carry? :):

Is there any more clarification on how Ohio signs must be posted? I ran into one 8ft off the ground inside a second set of sliding doors partially obscured behind a crate way to the side. I almost missed it. It pissed me off.

That sign does not sound very conspicuous to me. YMMV

Top Bottom