• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    It's been a longtime since I've posted. Went on a hog hunt over the weekend in Ohio. After we got it field dressed, it weighed in at 304lbs at the butcher. Tomorrow the cape and head go to the taxidermist. Anyone have any experiences at Blue Spruce Bend Taxidermy in New Castle?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      568.4 KB · Views: 24
    Last edited:

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    Latham Ohio at Tusk N Tines outfitters. The hogs are a good hunt, the deer will walk right up to you so they don't make it much of a challenge, I'll stick to Indiana or Alabama for deer hunting.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    thats cool.. hope you did not have far to get it out of the woods.. just curious with that round how far did the hog go?? How far away were you? Good job and thanks for the post.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    The rifle i used was a 1926 Mosin hex receiver, round I used was Tula 7.62x54r, distance I shot it was 80yds, and when I shot it, it reared up on its back hooves and flipped over backwards, that's about as far as it traveled. As for getting it out of the woods we used a Yamaha Rhino, took 4 of us to load it, my guess is it weighed over 340-350 before field dressed. When i get off work today I'm heading to new castle to the taxidermist.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    yes, thats why I don't recommend hunting deer there. The hogs there are wild, the deer not so much. The hogs you actually have to work for, when stalking you can walk right up on them and not know and then they come flying out at you or away from you depending if you are down hill or up hill. I did a stalk on my hunt because we didn't see anything in a tree stand.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    Funny thing, out all of the things the butcher offered, bacon wasn't on the list, I was a little sad when I saw that. when I go back for another hog hunt I might make a suggestion.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Funny thing, out all of the things the butcher offered, bacon wasn't on the list, I was a little sad when I saw that. when I go back for another hog hunt I might make a suggestion.

I would assume two things: 1, that wild animal doesnt have the bred-in traits for lots of bacon so that part of the wild hog isnt as developed. 2, as it needs to be cured, probably not what the butcher wants to be doing as its too time consuming.

But I do like the other suggestion to get that section "raw" and have it smoked and processed locally.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This definitely makes me want to go hog hunting.

Do they have restrictions on what types of firearms and calibers are allowed in Ohio for pigs?

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I'd bet that hog was well over 400lbs on the hoof. Hard to imagine it not having at least 100lbs of organs, blood and guts.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That one hell of a hog! A hog hunt is on the bucket list of things to do. I bought 45-70 just for that reason. Can I ask how much did this hunt cost?

Top Bottom