• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    I'm a new shooter, so this might be a ridiculous question. Though please bare with me...

I've only cleaned my Glock two times since I've had it. Once before it's first trip to the range and the second time after the range. Since those two times there's been a film of oil on the outside of the slide. Every time I see it I wipe it off, then it comes back later on. It's not slippery by any means. I can get a good grip, no slip when racking back without the groves on the back of the slide.

Am I using too much oil or is this normal? I'm using Break Free CLP.
    I don't give the gun very much Break Free. Though I soak the barrel in Break Free. It's my first handgun and I want to do the best I can to maintain it.

Just don't worry about it and keep shooting?

Thanks, Gulley

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    I used clp for the first time recently, cleans well but seeps for days after a cleaning. Wipe it away and it should be ok.

Yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I haven't shot and cleaned it since Saturday. I wipe it once a day and still seeps. CLP is good stuff though.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    In general, people grossly over-lubricate guns. Way too much.

Excess oil collects powder residue that forms a sludge which both gunks up the gun and acts like an abrasive to wear the moving parts out rather than protect them. Collect enough of that gunk, and the gun will jam.

The lightest of films is all that is needed, meaning an exceedingly small drop of oil--only on the proper surfaces--which is then wiped off with a finger until you can't see the oil--just an almost inperceptable film is left. Anything more defeats the purpose.

At the Glock facility in GA, by far the most common service done is cleaning out all the crud gumming up guns from over-lubrication.

A gun does not have a crankcase, like a car, that needs quarts of oil.

If you can see the oil, it is way too much!

Top Bottom