• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    So I bought my 92G 2005ish. I have never seen this exact configuration. I punch the model number (J92G631) into the googles and get nothing.
    Came in a cardboard box that says "Police Special". 3 15rd mags, Trijicon night sights and a decock lever instead of a safety. Not a police trade.
    It was new. Made in USA. I know the G is for Gendarmerie (Police) and some were made in Italy for the French, but this is USA all the way.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Any ideas?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Beretta made a run of "police specials" that the order evidently was cancelled so they decided to sell them to the public. Factory tritium sights are hard to find on Beretta 92s and the front sight is not designed for easy installation of after market. Many people like the G model as it is decocker only, with no safety to fumble with in an emergency.

Having the box tells you everything about the pistol but to find the actual info including approximate date, Beretta has a location hidden on their USA site. Go here, Firearm Technical Data Search and enter the serial number as directed, use capital letters and no spaces.

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    The Indiana State Police carried the 92G for about 10 years. I had a retired State Police 92G. I sent Trijicon my slide and they revived the night sights for $54.00 as best I can remember.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Our agency authorized and provided Beretta 92G's many years ago when the Indiana State Police were carrying them. The G series had the decocker only, and ours had the tritium sights, which when it comes time to change make take some tinkering, as the original G series did not have removable front sights. I found the DA trigger pull atrocious, the trigger reach was too long, and the pistol way oversized for the 9mm. Those are my thoughts only.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I bought a 92G for my son for his HS graduation. It was his choice. I changed out the hammer spring which really improved the trigger pull.

copper145

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Muncie
    Agree with the info already given. Love the Beretta 92 series...especially the "G" models for the decode-only designation. Slim grips, short-reach trigger, and new D-spring make the gun very ergo and a dream to shoot! It iS a big 9mm...but shooting, handling, and cycling is just about the smoothest out there, imho.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Agree with the info already given. Love the Beretta 92 series...especially the "G" models for the decode-only designation. Slim grips, short-reach trigger, and new D-spring make the gun very ergo and a dream to shoot! It iS a big 9mm...but shooting, handling, and cycling is just about the smoothest out there, imho.

+1, except I use a standard 1911 hammer spring to replace the Beretta hammer spring.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    The Indiana State Police carried the 92G for about 10 years. I had a retired State Police 92G. I sent Trijicon my slide and they revived the night sights for $54.00 as best I can remember.
    I need to do this. I have an INOX Italian 92FS that came with the factory night sights. It was made in 1992 and the sights don't have hardly any glow left.

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    That's a nice looking Beretta!

Thanks. Hard to believe several thousand rounds have come out the pointy end. I bought it before I shipped out to Iraq the first time. I was switched from a rifle to a pistol for duty. Who says no to a promotion? After years of practice with an AR, I wanted to put in as much time as I could with a pistol. The guy at my LGS sold me on this one. He said the decocker and night sights are something I would want. He was right. I maintain all of my firearms religiously. They all get the tlc they deserve. I have a good relationship with several LGSs. I have been offered great deals and steered towards good purchases. I don't expect a military discount or special treatment everywhere I go. A business is there to make money. If it doesn't make money it goes away and I have to drive further for my supplies, plus, I don't get the level of service I sometimes need. I'm eligible for blue label prices on Glocks, so when my wife wanted a 9mm I said lets go. I asked to see a 34 Gen 4. The gun felt wrong, pointed wrong, and was not what she wanted. One of the guys brought over an M&P Performance Center 9. I saw the price tag and was not happy, but my wife was. We took it to the range and she was tearing it up. She told me I had to shoot it. So muttering marketing hype, overpriced, and a few other things under my breath, I stepped up to the line and shot a mags worth. I cleared it and stepped back to the bench and sat down and had a nice cup of STFU. It really is a nice gun. Wasn't on my radar, but the guys took care of us. I'm thinking of getting one for myself.
    :hooked:

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I just put an ISP Beretta 92G on layaway at my lgs. It was carried a lot, finish is worn in a few spots. The night sights need to be replaced, but I took it apart it looked good. The bore is in decent shape. It will make a nice shooter. 450 plus tax isn't too bad I think

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Wild Deuce, for some reason the .40 S&W 96 series was not as popular as Beretta would have hoped, and although still a really good pistol, they don't hold their value as the exact same version 92 Series.

It is funny that after many years of production mainly for police forces, the G version is becoming popular with us non-uniformed civilians. I also think Beretta finally saw the market for the G and is smartly taking advantage of it.

Personally I have been carrying the PX4 Storm G model for the last 10 years or so even though the 92 series is my favorite shooter.

Top Bottom