• ...and so much more!
  • JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    Bought this Smith Wesson revolver today and I'm not sure what I have. It's a Model 10-6, 38 SW special. However, it has a heavy barrel and I thought that wasn't available until later version (model 13). The cylinder looks mint condition. The cylinder front isn't dis-coloration. The barrel is dirty and you can tell its been fired. I would think if it was the original cylinder, it would show use. The grips aren't original. They're target grips and penciled on the inside is "L Frame'. However, stamped on the frame is the letter 'N". The serial # is D925XXX. It's nickel plated and looks to be in great shape. I didn't need another revolver but opened my big mouth and made the guy an offer which he eventually took. Now I'm wondering if I got taken to the cleaners @ 500.00. Either way, I'll enjoy a nice shooting 38 special and glad to have it in my lockbox.

SW10-6B.jpg

SW10-6E.jpg

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Bought this Smith Wesson revolver today and I'm not sure what I have. It's a Model 10-6, 38 SW special. However, it has a heavy barrel and I thought that wasn't available until later version (model 13). The cylinder looks mint condition. The cylinder front isn't dis-coloration. The barrel is dirty and you can tell its been fired. I would think if it was the original cylinder, it would show use. The grips aren't original. They're target grips and penciled on the inside is "L Frame'. However, stamped on the frame is the letter 'N". The serial # is D925XXX. It's nickel plated and looks to be in great shape. I didn't need another revolver but opened my big mouth and made the guy an offer which he eventually took. Now I'm wondering if I got taken to the cleaners @ 500.00. Either way, I'll enjoy a nice shooting 38 special and glad to have it in my lockbox.

The heavy-barrel Model 10s have been around for a long time.

The Model 13 is not a "later model", it is a different model. Basically the same gun in .357 Mag.

Flitz will clean a nickeled cylinder face up a treat, to the point where it has no discoloration.

K- and L-frame guns use the same grips. The "N" is part of a build number and has nothing to do with the frame size.

Five bills for a Bangor Punta-era nickel Model 10, even if it had the box and docs and was in absolutely mint condition, is way stretching the high end of the envelope, price-wise. If things keep trending the way they are, maybe in four or five years that'll be the going rate for a similar example in 90%+ condition...

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Dad carried one in the 70's and 80's as a detective for the Dayton Police Department. Same style grips as yours. He had to turn it in when he retired. I still have the grips and holster that he used.

Yours is in outstanding condition for its age. There is a niche collectors market for S&W's like yours.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    Good information, Thanks I had a feeling I might had paid too much but it's in good condition and doesn't need more than a good cleaning. So, think I'll keep this one.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I recently picked up a Mod 65 3" HB RB that is the stainless 357 version of your gun. Very nice gun that fills a hole on my line of "Smiffs".

Tamara, interesting Blog you have there and some very nice guns! :yesway:

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Tamara, interesting Blog you have there and some very nice guns! :yesway:

Thank you very much!

The 3" RB/HB 65 is one of the best carry revos Smith ever made. Someday I'll replace the one I sold, hopefully with one of the "LS" LadySmith models.

(The LadySmith has the bead-blasted finish and a fully-shrouded ejector rod. Toss the silly factory slick rosewood stocks and slap on some checkered Eagle Secret Service stocks, and it's the Cadillac of carry K's, IMHO...)

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Thank you very much!

The 3" RB/HB 65 is one of the best carry revos Smith ever made. Someday I'll replace the one I sold, hopefully with one of the "LS" LadySmith models.

(The LadySmith has the bead-blasted finish and a fully-shrouded ejector rod. Toss the silly factory slick rosewood stocks and slap on some checkered Eagle Secret Service stocks, and it's the Cadillac of carry K's, IMHO...)

Mine came with the big fat old style Pachmeyer rubber grips that felt pretty nice but were BIG! I put on a set of the new style Hogue grips that are much smaller and don't use a screw. Still can maintain a good firm grip but much smaller. The gun also has had the hammer bobbed and cylinder chamfered. I don't really care for the bobbed hammer and am keeping my eye open for a replacement.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County

SW10-6B.jpg

SW10-6E.jpg

Good looking model 10, I don't think you did bad what you paid, I've paid more and got less. What do you mean, "I didn't need another revolver", You can't have too many revolvers. I own a few model 10's, they are great guns, just like most S&W revolvers.

I bought a 3" model 65 because the price was right and it needed a little TLC (something I enjoy, almost as much as shooting)
    2A6F80E1-orig-2.jpg

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    That does it...........Now I'm shopping Eagle Secret Service stocks. With a name like that it's must be great.

Eagle SS stocks are about my favorite for square butt revolvers. They have a black version that will look great with that nickle.

And price wise, maybe a little high but these are getting harder to find in that kind of condition.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    Where are the local stock guys when you need them ? I'll probably get a new set of Model 10 wood from SW. 46.63 including tax and postage. I might get a spare magazine for the new M&P 22 LR while I'm at it. The clip doesn't add to shipping cost.

What I haven't heard & its confusing to me....... I thought SW Mod 10 .38 spl revolvers had a tappered barrel. I've been told the HB .38 spl wasn't available until later years and used different model numbers (mod 12, 13, 15). I'm hearing that model 10's had both. Is that true?

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Model 10's had both the taper barrel and later the Heavy Barrel. Model 10's were .38 Spl.

I currently have a 4" Model 13 in .357 mag. It was my first handgun purchased new in 1981. Been shot a lot but it is still a tack driver. Tuned it with a Wolff Spring Kit many years ago. I will post a pic when I get home from church.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    What I haven't heard & its confusing to me....... I thought SW Mod 10 .38 spl revolvers had a tappered barrel. I've been told the HB .38 spl wasn't available until later years and used different model numbers (mod 12, 13, 15). I'm hearing that model 10's had both. Is that true?

Yes.

Here is a Model 10 with a heavy barrel: Model 10-8 3"
    Here is an M&P (Model 10 from before they had model numbers) with a tapered barrel: .38 Military & Police

The Model 12 was the same as the Model 10, except for an alloy frame (very early models had alloy cylinders as well, and should not be fired.) The Model 13 was the same as the Model 10, but in .357 Magnum.

The Model 15, formerly known as the Combat Masterpiece, was a step up in the S&W model hierarchy from the Model 10, having adjustable sights, an overtravel stop for the trigger, and other refinements.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Oh, and don't feel too bad about the price. Remember, with a quality collectable firearm like a S&W revolver, you can never pay too much, you can only buy too soon. :cool:

Top Bottom