• ...and so much more!
  • Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I own a F-350 and a Excursion, the wife has a Ram 1500. The Power Wagons are sweet, I would order his and hers if I could afford it. I am actually surprised the price is so close since the Ford is only a half ton truck. I love my older Fords but just not really impressed with their newer stuff. Power Wagon for the win by a mile.

But you did ask why. The Ford is a half ton, the PW is a 3/4 ton. I will take the larger truck anyday. Interior, I feel the Rams interior are the best out there by far. Outside, I prefer the looks of the PW over the Ford. The PW just looks mean right off the line.

Another reason you did not mention is towing. I get roughly 200 campers delivered to the dealership every year for the last 15 years. In all those years I have only seen two professional drivers use a Duramax, just two. I would say it is 70/30 Ram over Ford used by the drivers I deal with. To me, that says a lot.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My decision matrix was different than yours.

Yup, different use case for sure. I've driven more Chevy/GMC trucks than anything over the years but GMC just doesn't build what I want at the moment.

I've had a turbo-diesel before, but don't want another. Especially one that needs DEF and shuts down if the emissions system tells it to. Some of the diesel Gladiator guys have been stuck out in the sticks because low speed off roading won't start the regeneration cycle and the truck decides it's time to shut off until the system can be serviced...

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I can address a few things. I'm pretty sure a ford mechanic would to tell you to get the 5.0, over the 3.5eb, if that were an option. Less parts, less problems. As far as infotainment stuff, I've heard Chrysler has a pretty good one. I'm a fan of the ford one, because of actual physical knobs and buttons. I think don't think either truck will be bad, it comes down to personal decision. My last three trucks have been Fords. I had a 2015 F150 with the ecoboost that ended up needing a turbo (with about 50,000 miles), due to a bearing failure. My last two have been super duty diesels with no real problems.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I own a F-350 and a Excursion, the wife has a Ram 1500. The Power Wagons are sweet, I would order his and hers if I could afford it. I am actually surprised the price is so close since the Ford is only a half ton truck. I love my older Fords but just not really impressed with their newer stuff. Power Wagon for the win by a mile.

You can get in the Tremor cheaper if you do a base model, which is still pretty nicely equipped. They make you buy the top trim to get the adaptive headlights and "good" transfer case, though. I really want projector/adaptive headlights, after driving my Camaro with HIDs vs my Ram with halogens, I'll never buy another halogen equipped vehicle. LED reflectors are kind of in the middle. Projectors are the way to rock, especially if you're night vision isn't quite what it used to be.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I can address a few things. I'm pretty sure a ford mechanic would to tell you to get the 5.0, over the 3.5eb, if that were an option. Less parts, less problems. As far as infotainment stuff, I've heard Chrysler has a pretty good one. I'm a fan of the ford one, because of actual physical knobs and buttons. I think don't think either truck will be bad, it comes down to personal decision. My last three trucks have been Fords. I had a 2015 F150 with the ecoboost that ended up needing a turbo (with about 50,000 miles), due to a bearing failure. My last two have been super duty diesels with no real problems.

5.0 is available in the Tremor starting with 2023, before it was 3.5 only. Ford definitely has more and better physical buttons, I think I already mentioned that but if not I found it to be the case. Ram has more buttons with the 8.4 screen, but with the 12" screen you get limited buttons. 12" screen is mandatory in the high trim package, and like the Ford, they reserve the best headlights for the high trim package.

I'd go mid package on either if not for the headlights.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    5.0 is available in the Tremor starting with 2023, before it was 3.5 only. Ford definitely has more and better physical buttons, I think I already mentioned that but if not I found it to be the case. Ram has more buttons with the 8.4 screen, but with the 12" screen you get limited buttons. 12" screen is mandatory in the high trim package, and like the Ford, they reserve the best headlights for the high trim package.

I'd go mid package on either if not for the headlights.
    Check out a set of aftermarket projector headlights if that is one of the only things making you go with a higher trim.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Check out a set of aftermarket projector headlights if that is one of the only things making you go with a higher trim.

No. Aftermarket sucks compared to OEM in this regard. Adaptive headlights actually adjust based on steering input, don't blind oncoming traffic, and enjoy much better longevity.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I'm with those who are unwilling to take the depreciation hit on a new vehicle. My preference is 1-2 years old and under 10,000 miles. The only time I bought a new vehicle was when I knew I was going to keep it until the wheels feel off (or the kids rolls it as may have been the case).

I just heard on a Barron's podcast that 14% of new car loans written last quarter have payments over $1,000. I'm old so my frame of reference is too but that seems ridiculous to me. I'm not commenting on what the OP is going to pay but rather on a related stat.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Bought my 2017 Fusion in 2020 with 7500+/- on the odometer for about 1/2 of what a new one cost. Plus it was exactly the one I wanted down to the color. Drove to West Branch Iowa, home of the Herbert Hoover museum, to get it.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    A friend of mine has a newer 2021 (I think) Ram 6.4l gas 2500. His observation was the same as yours, good ride for a larger truck and the engine and transmission seemed to always be in sync, well mated together. He pulls a decent sized boat and a travel trailer periodically to local lakes\parks. He said it's a great all-around truck for his needs and you sound like you're looking for something similar.

I have a 2016 Cummins 2500 that I use to pull a 37' 5th wheel camper. My friend likes the idea of a diesel but just felt he didn't need the additional power for his use and the gasser does fine when needed which is far less frequent.

I think all of the top 3 brands have their issues, concerns, risks. For me, it comes down to personal preference of features and options for the value.

Mike

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    If you get he Ford every time you drive it you will be reminded how smooth the PW powertrain is and how nice that interior is. In 2014 I was dead set on a new F-150......until I test drove a Ram with the sweet 8-speed. I bought the Ram.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ah I missed the adaptive part.

Yeah, it's night and day, almost literally. It can alter the beam so that you see through a curve better and oncoming traffic gets less of your light splash. It's honestly one of the things I'm most excited for in a new truck. The Tremor even has little spot lights on the mirrors, which would be handy on some occasions as well. Both are cool trucks, and the Tremor is more than just a lifted F-150. A few different suspension components (steering knuckles for sure, upper control arms as well IIRC), and the high gets the Raptor transfer case. You can also get the Torsen front axle locker from the Raptor as well, not an option on other F-150s.

I'm still very happy with my current Ram and wouldn't even be in the market normally. But I want to help my son start out in life and this one still has the lifetime warranty. I know he has a reliable and safe vehicle and he doesn't have to worry about repair costs. Plus we're keeping it in the family. He's really excited to have it, we both have a lot of memories in that truck thanks to all the family vacations and road trips it's taken us on.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you get he Ford every time you drive it you will be reminded how smooth the PW powertrain is and how nice that interior is. In 2014 I was dead set on a new F-150......until I test drove a Ram with the sweet 8-speed. I bought the Ram.

True. And if I get the PW I'll think of how I wouldn't have had to stop for gas yet or how I could have passed that guy by now if I bought the Ford. ;)

I think I'll be happy with either, honestly, I'm generally a "worry too much about it up front" guy vs a "regret it afterward" guy. I know I can't get everything in one vehicle.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Seems like all of the dodge trucks around here came with the acid dip body for lightness.

My 2012 is completely rot free. The only paint defects are touched up rock chips and an area of the rear bumper that peeled a bit. It's work, though. I clay it twice a year, wax it pretty frequently, spray out the wheel wells and undercarriage, etc. I'll fluid film it soon for the winter. 20221001_152016.jpg
    Last weekend. Needs clayed again soon.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I agree with you about real knobs and controls. My newest truck (2015 chev) has about a million of’em. I’ve owned it for 7 years, still don’t know how to work all the buttons. I haven’t changed my clock for about 5 yrs. cause I don’t want to dig out that **** owners manual twice a year, would really like to use my fog lights sometime but I can’t figure out how to turn’em on. And I don’t read international symbols at all. I’m lucky if I can get the a c to come on. Sorry for the side track, just felt the need to vent.

Top Bottom