• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rookie0014

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    kokomo
    heard guys talk about shooting wax bullets in their basement. never heard of it before. what kinda wax do you use, just primers no powder, what kind of range are we talking? been wanting to put a range in my barn will be pistol, 9 or 45 or 22 lr at the most how thick of a metal box do i need to to catch bullets safely. Thanks for any input

perminator

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    east side indy
    i shoot wax bullets out of my 1911 i think most use parafin wax i usually keep scrap candle wax around and just melt it in a pan somewhere around 5/16 thick and stick the cases in and turn till they cut through. and yes just primers no powder i ususally use the magnum primers that i bought during the shortage for this but regular work just fine.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    7 yards at most, they are LOUD (not as loud as real loads though), a sheet of plyboard always worked for a backstop (for me), primers ONLY! No powder. Man, you must have a good supply of primers to do that stuff though! :D .22 may not work though, I would imagine rifle barrels being too long, though a pistol may work, never tried it.

Now, the rubber stuff is a differnt story...

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    Does there need to be a point beyond the shear awesomeness? Does shooting wax in your basement still consitute illegal discharge of firearm if within city limits?

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Does there need to be a point beyond the shear awesomeness? Does shooting wax in your basement still consitute illegal discharge of firearm if within city limits?

Hmmm. I do things simply for sheer awesomeness. I just wondered if other folks thought they had some other reason that they considered reasonable :D

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Use to load them for practice

Used them for practicing point shooting with a Model 19. It always seemed easier to press the sized casing through the paraffin and then prime it. Allows the air to escape as the wax goes in. It will make a mess of the bore. Inexpensive paraffin used for sealing canning jars comes in sheets that work great.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Long before the introduction of modern simunitions, we used to load primered 45 ACP cases with cotten balls for force on force room clearing drills. Parifin wax bullets would have done the same thing, but would have stung a lot more and left a lot more residue in the barrel.

These drills made it clear to all involved that to clear rooms alone is to die alone. At least with a partner, the partner will kill the ahole that killed you.

rookie0014

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    kokomo
    thanks for the input on wax bullets!! the range i was talking about building in my barn was for for mainly pistols 9 to 45's but maybe a 22 pistol or 22 rifle once and a while with live ammo that is why i asked about thickness of metal to build the backstop and the angles it would need to be to make sure it stoped and traped to round. Thanks Again for all the input.

Top Bottom