Okay, I get it now. I think I hate Glocks and love CZs...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I can't remember what brought me into the CZ world. It was back around 2010 before they were fashionable and I had decided that I wanted a standard pistol for each of the 4 of us in the family. The goal was to find a reliable pistol that everyone could shoot well. I was anti-Glock back then and a safety was a requirement I had. I can't remember everything I tried, but somehow I stumbled across the CZ world. Actually, my first CZ was not a CZ but a clone. My second was a CZ Compact and I fell in love with that gun. 3 pre-Bs quickly followed along with a 97B and Rami. Then I got into Glocks and sold the 97B and Rami. A couple of years back, I got back into the CZs and the family has been growing ever since. I credit BA with reigniting the fire when he brought some of the best CZs I've ever shot to a group CZ shoot. It's becoming an obsession now.

Like Leo says, 'Don't hate anything'. We live in a fantastic time for gun enthusiasts with a huge variety of weapons to choose from and little stopping us from trying to choose them all (at least it's like that here in Indiana). My safe seems to be perfectly peaceful with Glocks, 1911s and CZs taking up most of the space.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can't remember what brought me into the CZ world. It was back around 2010 before they were fashionable and I had decided that I wanted a standard pistol for each of the 4 of us in the family. The goal was to find a reliable pistol that everyone could shoot well. I was anti-Glock back then and a safety was a requirement I had. I can't remember everything I tried, but somehow I stumbled across the CZ world. Actually, my first CZ was not a CZ but a clone. My second was a CZ Compact and I fell in love with that gun. 3 pre-Bs quickly followed along with a 97B and Rami. Then I got into Glocks and sold the 97B and Rami. A couple of years back, I got back into the CZs and the family has been growing ever since. I credit BA with reigniting the fire when he brought some of the best CZs I've ever shot to a group CZ shoot. It's becoming an obsession now.

Like Leo says, 'Don't hate anything'. We live in a fantastic time for gun enthusiasts with a huge variety of weapons to choose from and little stopping us from trying to choose them all (at least it's like that here in Indiana). My safe seems to be perfectly peaceful with Glocks, 1911s and CZs taking up most of the space.

BA is the Typhoid Mary of CZ's.....:):

The mouse does not hate G****'s but they most certainly hate the mouse.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    My LGS had an SP01 in the used rack the other day. First one I ever handled. Very nice I must say, great fit and finish, great trigger. I may have to add one to my wants list.
    One of the great things about CZs is that the more rounds down the barrel when you get it the better off you will be.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I keep wanting to like CZ's. For some reason they just don't do it for me. Not that I dislike them, there is just nothing there that says I have to have this. If I was a pistol collector I am sure I would own a few.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I don't think there is any one gun that works for everybody. Different folks have related their experiences with CZs and they have run the gamut from those who love the platform to those who could take it or leave it. The thing is they may have been trying distinctly different guns. A new stock CZ and an well shot in CZ that has been fully upgraded with either Cajun or CZ Custom parts are only slightly more similar to each other than a modern Porsche is to a 60's era Volkswagen Beetle. They are apples and oranges. Just my :twocents:.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't think there is any one gun that works for everybody. Different folks have related their experiences with CZs and they have run the gamut from those who love the platform to those who could take it or leave it. The thing is they may have been trying distinctly different guns. A new stock CZ and an well shot in CZ that has been fully upgraded with either Cajun or CZ Custom parts are only slightly more similar to each other than a modern Porsche is to a 60's era Volkswagen Beetle. They are apples and oranges. Just my :twocents:.

Exactly.
    This applies to any popular platform
    1911's come to mind. An as built new piece compared to one that has received some love.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't doubt that you can learn to shoot anything well, but again it comes back to time and resources available to do so.

If it's a gun for self defense, you need to make time to be proficient with it.

Some people don't have the funds to buy different guns to see if it "fits" them. The basic person who lives paycheck to paycheck needs to do their research, and buy a gun that's affordable and is known to be reliable. So, that would be a Glock or M&P. And he needs to make the time to practice with it, become the best that he can with it. Because that may very well be the only gun he'll ever have.

Not making the time to become proficient with your gun is a mistake.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

Some people don't have the funds to buy different guns to see if it "fits" them. The basic person who lives paycheck to paycheck needs to do their research, and buy a gun that's affordable and is known to be reliable. So, that would be a Glock or M&P. And he needs to make the time to practice with it, become the best that he can with it. Because that may very well be the only gun he'll ever have.

I agree with this for the most part, but it is still beneficial to have a weapon that feels comfortable in the hand, and points well. For some people like me the Glock feels like a brick in hand and does not point naturally. Is it a great gun? Absolutely. Can I shoot it accurately? Absolutely. If you have options, get something you like. Go try them out. There are plenty of guys on INGO willing to let you shoot their pistols to see what works for you. If you are lucky, you might even get to shoot a "Rat Rod".

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I agree with this for the most part, but it is still beneficial to have a weapon that feels comfortable in the hand, and points well. For some people like me the Glock feels like a brick in hand and does not point naturally. Is it a great gun? Absolutely. Can I shoot it accurately? Absolutely. If you have options, get something you like. Go try them out. There are plenty of guys on INGO willing to let you shoot their pistols to see what works for you. If you are lucky, you might even get to shoot a "Rat Rod".

Yep, same point I made, either in this thread or another. Sure, you have to train to be proficient with the gun, but if you start out with a gun that fits you better, you have a shorter journey.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I just wish someone would have told me years ago that the only acceptable guns for people on a budget were G***** and M&Ps. I really had no idea.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I just wish someone would have told me years ago that the only acceptable guns for people on a budget were G***** and M&Ps. I really had no idea.

For me it is not so much budget, as it is desire. I view pistols as utilitarian. A Glock or M&P meet my needs and don't cost a bunch. Are they fairly ugly and souless? Yes, but that doesn't matter for my needs. Some people want more and have different priorities. It no longer bothers me when people have a ton of nice guns and not training or barely shoot them or whatever. Hey, if collecting nice guns is your thing, go for it, it should be no skin off my nose.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I am pretty consistent at 1k rounds per month. That's more than most probably but a lot less than others. I could probably use more training. I'm sure that applies to a lot of people.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I am pretty consistent at 1k rounds per month. That's more than most probably but a lot less than others. I could probably use more training. I'm sure that applies to a lot of people.

I didn't mean you specifically. And again, why should it bother me anyway? Did I mention I am no where near perfect? 1k a month of pistol is not much less than I averaged last year. You would think with all that shooting I would be better.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I didn't mean you specifically. And again, why should it bother me anyway? Did I mention I am no where near perfect? 1k a month of pistol is not much less than I averaged last year. You would think with all that shooting I would be better.
    If you're training people than I assume you are quite skilled. I am not. But, I do have a lot of fun.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Some people don't have the funds to buy different guns to see if it "fits" them.

Today we have something that was unheard of when I started, that is indoor ranges that rent nice handguns. In the past, if you were a steady customer, and talked real nice, and the owner knew you and liked you, and the moon was right, and his wife treated him well that day, he might let you shoot some scrap yard bound .38 revolver. Buying was the only way if you didn't have a buddy willing to let you try his.

Today, if you think something looks interesting, there are more then a few shops to rent it. After a box or two of ammo, you might not like it. If you do, and are not sure enough to buy it, rent something else. Maybe retry the first. How ever much it cots, it is WAY cheaper than buying a brand new gun, finding out you hate it, and then try to trade it in on something you might hate also. Been there and done that in the 70's.

Applied Ballistics has Competition ready STI's all the way down to snub nosed .38's.

Top Bottom