• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    I recently got a hold of an older 870 Wingmaster 2 3/4 only. It is not in the best of shape (minor pitting, some scuffs). It is a 1952 with a 30 inch modified choke, no vent rib.
    I took it out and just put a few rounds through it and it works wonderfully. Yet I have a problem.

I bought it with the intention of making a more HD gun out of it. however, I am torn because of the age of the weapon. 1952 was the second year for the wingmaster, it has the S/N on the receiver and barrel (and they match) and I don't know if I want to 'destroy' that original look. I have no purpose for a long barreled shot gun.

also the option is to leave the receiver as is, buy a new barrel/stock/forend/ect, and always have the option of going back to stock, but this was supposed to be a budget build.

so INGO; what would you do?

#1) its an old 870 there a millions, make this how I want

#2) its 62 years old, all original, don't touch it, enjoy it as-is

#3) spend more money and have the option of going back to factory if needed

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Well, you didn't set this up as a poll, but I'd vote #1. The caveat here is that I own an 870 but don't know much about their history. have heard nothing ever about the 870 being considered "collectible" so even though the pre-Express versions are more desirable the the post-Express versions, and the Wingmaster, Marine and Police versions command a premium over the "plain Jane" 870, I don't think your Wingmaster is valuable from a historical perspective.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Depends on your budget. Buying all the aftermarket parts might add up to just a little less that a new HD shotgun. ($350-$400)
    You could spend $250-$300 on new stuff for your old 870. But you could do it a little at a time.

Maybe get a used 18 1/2 inch barrel and put it on for HD now and save up for a new HD gun.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Get a new barrel get whatever you want for it save the barrel and take offs. It will never be a collector just like a 10-22.

Used barrels are easy and rather cheap. You don't need to flash it up much add a shell holder. Do not make it a tactical shotgun but it might be one of the best HD guns you will get. They are sweet shotguns, have a few but none from the 1950's but I have the from the sixties to 1980's. All wingmasters all great guns.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Ps I think the spring tube is captured on the old ones. You will need a forearm tool to remove the forearm.

other than a short barrel you don't reQlly have to do anything to it for a HD gun.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I picked up a vintage 1100 with intentions of adding on a Speedfeed pistol grip stock, weapon-light, ghostring, sidesaddle, etc. After a cut the barrel down to 18.25" in my lathe and saw how nice it handled and felt in the original wood, I decided to add a +2 extension and call it good. Just need to add a bead or tritium site.

2ni6yp2.jpg

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It's a shooter grade and even if it were as new, it wouldn't have any collector value. Set it up the way you want.

Rooze1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 26, 2014
    NWI
    Go with #1. Unless you are planning on passing it down to your children. I inherited some older guns and love that they are factory original.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Dunno what differences the old non magnum vs magnum had.
    Standard 870 and not mint= non collector.

HD rig...............do you want to build if off a standard? Dunno, just asking ( what type of ammo do you want it to run? )

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Get a new barrel get whatever you want for it save the barrel and take offs. It will never be a collector just like a 10-22.

Used barrels are easy and rather cheap. You don't need to flash it up much add a shell holder. Do not make it a tactical shotgun but it might be one of the best HD guns you will get. They are sweet shotguns, have a few but none from the 1950's but I have the from the sixties to 1980's. All wingmasters all great guns.

Yup, somebody thought this just a regular 10/22 ;)
    1VAnsA4.jpg

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    there is no sentimental value to this one, just picked it up at a decent price. I have an early 90's 870P that is so clean its not funny, that'll be passed down. guess its time to start shopping for things to make this 'new' old gun what i want.
    though I plan on not cutting the barrel (just in case I ever need to go back to stock) thanks all

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Mossberg makes a 18.5" bead sight bbl that is dirt cheap for the Remignton 870, I know that sounds weird, but they do. Nice bbl, and about 60ish % of the price of a remington
    If the Mossberg barrel is chambered in 3", which I think you will find is the case, the OP's 2 3/4" receiver probably won't eject 3" shells reliably without modification.

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    If the Mossberg barrel is chambered in 3", which I think you will find is the case, the OP's 2 3/4" receiver probably won't eject 3" shells reliably without modification.

Correct, it takes more than a 3"bbl to shoot 3" shells with the 870, but it will shoot 2 3/4 fine. Being a budget build and not wanting to cut the factory barrel, this is the way to go. There are [plenty of great 2 3/4 defense shells available so why bother spending the cash to convert it

Top Bottom