• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • conservative

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Got a fairly large amount of old brass from a friend of my son...sorted through it today to cull out what I can reload...found 10 or 12 OLD unfired rounds....some were corroded...

My question is, what is the safest way to dispose of the stuff since I don't have any guns that will handle it?

Thanks in advance....

wassup61

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    nwi
    pull the bullets, dump the powder in the yard (fertilizer) and add a few drops of Kroil or pb blaster in the case.

conservative

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Okkkkkk.....never pulled a bullet....any suggestions? Two pairs of pliers and a prayer waaa2

I've heard of kinetic bullet pullers but I'm real leery of banging the bullets around since the primers are still 'live' and I have no idea the age or condition of the powder...

And does the pb blaster or Kroil deactivate the primers?

Last edited:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Okkkkkk.....never pulled a bullet....any suggestions? Two pairs of pliers and a prayer waaa2

I've heard of kinetic bullet pullers but I'm real leery of banging the bullets around since the primers are still 'live' and I have no idea the age or condition of the powder...

And does the pb blaster or Kroil deactivate the primers?

I wouldn't count on anything deactivating the primer... Also, if all you got are a small number and you never plan on reloading yourself, I wouldn't buy a puller.

Throw them in your range bag and next time you run into someone that reloads at the range, ask them if they could take them apart for you.

conservative

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    I wouldn't count on anything deactivating the primer... Also, if all you got are a small number and you never plan on reloading yourself, I wouldn't buy a puller.

Throw them in your range bag and next time you run into someone that reloads at the range, ask them if they could take them apart for you.

Hmmm, heading to the gun show this weekend, maybe I'll tote them along and see what happens....

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If you have a friend with a kinetic bullet puller, borrow it.
    Don't panic into thinking they could detonate, unless they're rimfire rounds, which I'm assuming they're not.
    Alternatively, wrap a towel around the cases, then clamp Visegrips over the towel just tightly enough to engage the rim, then take a second pair of Visegrips to nudge the bullet out.
    Dump the powder for each disassembled round into a neat little pile outside and out of the wind, then toss a burning piece of paper on the pile and watch the little show.
    I have no idea why anyone would go through the aggravation of trying to use oils or solvents to neutralize the primers when it could be done so much more easily and definitely by simply loading each of the cases into a gun of the same caliber, then popping the primer for each by dropping the firing pin on it.

conservative

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    If you have a friend with a kinetic bullet puller, borrow it.
    Don't panic into thinking they could detonate, unless they're rimfire rounds, which I'm assuming they're not.
    Alternatively, wrap a towel around the cases, then clamp Visegrips over the towel just tightly enough to engage the rim, then take a second pair of Visegrips to nudge the bullet out.
    Dump the powder for each disassembled round into a neat little pile outside and out of the wind, then toss a burning piece of paper on the pile and watch the little show.
    I have no idea why anyone would go through the aggravation of trying to use oils or solvents to neutralize the primers when it could be done so much more easily and definitely by simply loading each of the cases into a gun of the same caliber, then popping the primer for each by dropping the firing pin on it.

As I said in my original post, I don't have guns that match the rounds...:):Even at that, two of them have TWO firing pin marks on the primer....seems like I heard somewhere to put them in the ground point down....

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If you're not going to reload them there's no need to worry about protecting the case, just grab it with some pliers and pull the bullet out. The primer is not going to spontaneously ignite. If you're worried about the primers after the powder is out toss them in a fire away from the house...you might be over thinking this. Bullets outside of a weapon don't really go anywhere when burned even with all the powder in them and the bullet in place, they aren't built to do that. The case weighs less than the projectile and a primer is not going to turn the case into a rocket.

Now, you certainly don't want to be holding it when it goes poof...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Depending on caliber, you can pull the bullets with a pair of vice grips.

Kroil and wd40 on the INSIDE of the primer cup will kill the primer..The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers The Box O' Truth

That is what I had always heard, but IT DOES NOT WORK. I was given a water soaked box of ammo from a wrecked car, The shotgun shells were paper and they had swelled up, the pistol cartridges were green with corrosion. I cut the paper off the shot shell brass to get the lead. I soaked the inside of the primers with wd-40 and let them set a couple days, as I did with the pistol brass. Before I put them in the trash, I put one the the brass in an old shotgun (pointed in a safe direction) and pulled the trigger, BANG! as a matter of fact, every single one went bang, same with the pistol brass. The newer priming compound must seal out the oil better.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Just use whatever bullet puller you have, the hammer type is fine, the primer would not be a concern since it would be outside of the puller. Nothing would hit it and make it goes bang. I have pulled many bullets using the green hammer type puller.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Just use whatever bullet puller you have, the hammer type is fine, the primer would not be a concern since it would be outside of the puller. Nothing would hit it and make it goes bang. I have pulled many bullets using the green hammer type puller.

+1, green, blue, orange they all work fine.

Top Bottom