• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunaddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2024
    Greenfield, IN
    Getting older stinks sometimes. I am finding it a little difficult to keep focused on the front sight with my progressive lenses. I shoot with both eyes open and I have to look up a little bit to clearly see the front site and down when I want to see where I’ve hit. I have since switched to just wearing readers, and looking down over them just enough to see where I’m hitting. However, using the readers makes the background silhouette very blurry more than usual. Anyone have any special glasses that you use or any suggestions?

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Getting older stinks sometimes. I am finding it a little difficult to keep focused on the front sight with my progressive lenses. I shoot with both eyes open and I have to look up a little bit to clearly see the front site and down when I want to see where I’ve hit. I have since switched to just wearing readers, and looking down over them just enough to see where I’m hitting. However, using the readers makes the background silhouette very blurry more than usual. Anyone have any special glasses that you use or any suggestions?
    Shoot more……..shoot a lot more. It don’t get any better. :thumbsup:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I went to Tavel and my local office Optometrist did me good. I brought in two different pistol slides and looking through those he did his thing. They work well. I also use and used a Merit adjustable Optical that suction cups on to your lens. Like you I shoot with both eyes open, the Merit I have was my Fathers.
    Its another option.

Also a Lyman Eyepal

Well it used to be the Lyman Eyepal now its,

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Creedmoors answer begs the question, what is your purpose? I guess I just assumed you were talking some sort of practical performance shooting. If you are wanting to do bullseye work or just plinking that changes the equation.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I spent years working on this. Different glasses, readers, no readers, magnification on the top, etc. Add to that equation that I am cross dominant and it became a real pain.

I switched to red dots. I now focus on the target and all is good.

I have one handgun left without a red dot. Everything else, excluding my shotgun, either has a red dot or a scope.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Train for how you will do it for real. I wear readers for reading and prescription sunglasses for driving. The rest of the time no glasses. So I train with clear plastic safety glasses. The front sight is blurry, the target is blurry, but that would be my environment if things get real.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    160   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    My distance vision is still 20/15 but like you reading and up close sucks. I use a 1.25X reader so I’m able to see my front sight and still see at distance well enough to see where I’m hitting.

Gunaddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2024
    Greenfield, IN
    My distance vision is still 20/15 but like you reading and up close sucks. I use a 1.25X reader so I’m able to see my front sight and still see at distance well enough to see where I’m hitting.
    I tried a set of monocular contacts, but I couldn’t get used to them. That’s where one eye is for distance vision and the other has the reading prescription. I will just keep practicing with the readers. I was just curious what everyone else was doing.

Gunaddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2024
    Greenfield, IN
    I went to Tavel and my local office Optometrist did me good. I brought in two different pistol slides and looking through those he did his thing. They work well. I also use and used a Merit adjustable Optical that suction cups on to your lens. Like you I shoot with both eyes open, the Merit I have was my Fathers.
    Its another option.

Also a Lyman Eyepal

Well it used to be the Lyman Eyepal now its,

I will check it out for sure!

Gunaddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2024
    Greenfield, IN
    Creedmoors answer begs the question, what is your purpose? I guess I just assumed you were talking some sort of practical performance shooting. If you are wanting to do bullseye work or just plinking that changes the equation
    I am shooting in the GSSF league and just trying to get the best thing for me to see the front sight clearly. Right now it’s either see the front site clearly and the background more blurry than usual with the readers or see the background clearly and the front site is blurry.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I am shooting in the GSSF league and just trying to get the best thing for me to see the front sight clearly. Right now it’s either see the front site clearly and the background more blurry than usual with the readers or see the background clearly and the front site is blurry.
    Concentrate on the front sight.

Blessed is he who concentrates on the front sight.

Aforementioned Merit device is a good stop gap measure until you're due for cataract surgery.

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    Herpes zoster ophthalmicus. Don't get it. Basically Shingles in or around your eye. Extremely painful and (in my case) the bonus prize of a dominant eye scarred cornea. Kinda like looking through glasses with a greasy thumbprint that effects vision from 11:00 to about 4:00.
    I can get a corrective lens for my glasses but it severely screws with my depth perception. Eye doctor says after about 10 days my brain will compensate but if I take the glasses off I will be back in the same boat of tripping over curbs and jamming my fingers into doors while reaching for the handle.
    And, I'm old too. Pretty much have given up on rifles. Shotguns and pistols are my go to's now.
    Got a RMR on the shotgun, I see three dots with the right eye but I know the one in the center matters. Pistols, I have to use cross eyed aiming, being right handed with a fun house mirror right eye.
    Sorry, venting too much there. I tried building 45deg canted scope mounts, etc. Too much trigonometry involved in sighting in. Doable, but slow. Anything long range made any baked in solution even worse.
    One thing I can offer. I remember seeing little clip on apertures for shooting glasses in my dad's National Rifle Association magazines. The apertures work like lenses but they only take up a small amount of real-estate on the lens that they are installed on.
    MH

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Progressive Bi-focals, astigmatism and 50 years old. I feel ya! Since Cedartop and I last trained together I have also been diagnosed with a type of epilepsy so I take $$$ medication that effectively slows down my brain. So front sight focus and how quickly my eyes refocus is greatly diminished. Both of those are essential to the action pistol sports.

Red Dots with astigmatism will flare out badly. But not so badly it will affect hitting steel plates. This would be my first suggestion.

Dump the Glock sights if the rules allow and get a big orange or green (whichever you see better) front sight and plain back rear sight. Simply drive that front sight. It will get you on plates out to 15 yards easy enough.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    Many years ago bifocal lenses were made for pharmacists who had to read labels on high shelves. These were made with the reader lens at the top instead if the bottom.
    You could do as I have done and get a pair of these made with the focal distance at +.75.
    This focal length is about 78" in front if the eye. The balance of the lens is the distance prescription. This works great for me shooting bullseye competition.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I have cataracts, but not bad enough for surgery yet, they tell me...
    I would press the on this, maybe second opinion. My vision improved drastically after cataract surgery, and not just from the removal of the cataracts. Your insurance will cover a basic lens replacement, but if you can add dollars yourself, and you can get some better lenses, and have them adjusted to the distance your most likely to find useful.

Years ago civilian eye doctors offered me lens replacement as a way to vastly improve my myopic eyes. Same as cataract surgery except I didn’t have cataracts. I didn’t take them up on it because I was still in the Air Force and the Air Force doctor said that if anything went wrong, I could be medically discharged (no retirement). I now wish that the day I retired I had signed up for lens placement.

Top Bottom