• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I'm not a revolver guy at all, the only one I've ever bought myself makes most revolver guys throw up when they see it (Chiappa Rhino :D )

Anyways can anyone identify this model?

My dad got it before I was born. He had restaurants in Chicago in the 80's and one night a regular of his came in on the last shift he had before retiring right before his shift was over and after it was past his time he took this out of his shoulder holster and gave it to my dad saying he didn't need it anymore because he was leaving the sh*thole city - his exact words apparently.

It's a 38 special 5 shot, the bluing is fantastic still with very few scratches.

Wanting to learn at least what it is so I can get a value of it. The value will likely determine if I keep it as I simply don't plan on carrying or shooting it.

20220605_202036.jpg
    20220605_202010.jpg

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    If you open the cylinder, the model number is usually stamped on the inside of the frame where the crane fits into the frame when the cylinder is closed and locked. The serial number is usually stamped there as well!

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Just a guess as I am no expert but maybe a Chief’s Special (model 36)? Should have markings in several places that can help narrow it down. Maybe @Leadeye can chime in.

Anything stamped here:
    1654477693696.jpeg

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Prices on GB are all over the place for 36s, if you are north Indy, Chris at Marksman in Westfield could likely tell you a little about it and give you an idea of what he would pay you for it (buying to resell).

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Pre-model 36 Smith & Wesson chief special
    Probably more of a collectors gun than a carry gun

Edit I think it is a model 36
    Noticed it is not a five screw gun

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    What BBI said.
    Looks much like my Model 36 with different (flat) latch.
    I've been looking for a replacement hammer for mine. The spur is partially broken off, must've been dropped somewhere along it's life.

And why not shoot it? I thought the same until I shot it, they're great shooters. Fun to shoot, fairly accurate under 5 yds and easy to clean/maintain.
    Other than the price of .38 special at the moment.
    1654481312597.png

Last edited:

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Just a guess as I am no expert but maybe a Chief’s Special (model 36)? Should have markings in several places that can help narrow it down. Maybe @Leadeye can chime in.

Anything stamped here:
    View attachment 204207
    Thank you so much.

And everyone else

Thought I had seen all the markings on this but I had not noticed that one at all

It is marked as a model 36, as others mentioned already.

But the serial # is on the bottom of the handgrip, unlike where was suggested by someone on here.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    pinned bbl. Original grips, I think you may be pleasantly surprised at the value. No need to relegate it to a collector, with modern self defense ammo it would make a fine carry piece. And not just for old officers, it’s my wife’s edc, I carry it’s brother a 637 dash 2. They still mak’em 70+ years should say something. Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Great piece. Personally I'd hold onto it. Not like its costing you anything. Cool story attached to it.
    That's why I've been holding onto it really.

But these crazy times got me a bit worried so I'm getting rid of many things I don't deem necessary to upgrade other things or get more things I might need if things get exceptionally bad.

I dunno. I wish I did. I hope I'm wrong and prepping for nothing.

I'll probably take down the for sale ad I made last night anyways. It is probably better to keep it.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    That's why I've been holding onto it really.

But these crazy times got me a bit worried so I'm getting rid of many things I don't deem necessary to upgrade other things or get more things I might need if things get exceptionally bad.

I dunno. I wish I did. I hope I'm wrong and prepping for nothing.

I'll probably take down the for sale ad I made last night anyways. It is probably better to keep it.
    Hope for the best plan for the worse. I struggle constantly with keeping my classics alongside the the necessary and practical items.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy

Honestly I would keep it, that's a nice pistol with a great story attached. Especially if your dad used it a lot.

He's never fired it as far as he can recall. No sentiment to it for him either besides it being a fairly regular customer from back then. We still have "uncles" I talk to from back then that were CPD when I was a kid - if it were from one of those guys for sure no way I'd sell but it's kind of a random guy at this point.

I dunno. I feel like the money could be better used to get him a nice modern edc. Given everything right now I'm just trying to get all my ducks in order just in case - but without going crazy spending every penny I have and maxing the few cards I have out.

So letting some things go on Craigslist and a couple things on here has been my go to for funding extra preps.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    He's never fired it as far as he can recall. No sentiment to it for him either besides it being a fairly regular customer from back then. We still have "uncles" I talk to from back then that were CPD when I was a kid - if it were from one of those guys for sure no way I'd sell but it's kind of a random guy at this point.

I dunno. I feel like the money could be better used to get him a nice modern edc. Given everything right now I'm just trying to get all my ducks in order just in case - but without going crazy spending every penny I have and maxing the few cards I have out.

So letting some things go on Craigslist and a couple things on here has been my go to for funding extra preps.
    Preps are nice but just because it seems all gloom and doom right now there is still time.

Prep up. Just put 3.79 a gallon gas in the mower and replaced it with 4:69 gas. Sunday. Loves truck stop now sells it for 5:15 a gallon. Have 60 gallons stored. I have lots of stacks to the rafters. All done a little bit at a time. Preparing is more work than money. Water food medicine shelter and a plan.

I would drive Uber eats every night to replace the cash to keep the smith. Near mint collectible guns rarely decrease in value over time. Some increase tremendously.

If you need to get rid of it for preps let me know what you need.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Preps are nice but just because it seems all gloom and doom right now there is still time.

Prep up. Just put 3.79 a gallon gas in the mower and replaced it with 4:69 gas. Sunday. Loves truck stop now sells it for 5:15 a gallon. Have 60 gallons stored. I have lots of stacks to the rafters. All done a little bit at a time. Preparing is more work than money. Water food medicine shelter and a plan.

I would drive Uber eats every night to replace the cash to keep the smith. Near mint collectible guns rarely decrease in value over time. Some increase tremendously.

If you need to get rid of it for preps let me know what you need.
    What this ^ member said, from a guy that is trying his best to fill up the lake with old S&W’s

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I'm not a revolver guy at all, the only one I've ever bought myself makes most revolver guys throw up when they see it (Chiappa Rhino :D )

Anyways can anyone identify this model?

My dad got it before I was born. He had restaurants in Chicago in the 80's and one night a regular of his came in on the last shift he had before retiring right before his shift was over and after it was past his time he took this out of his shoulder holster and gave it to my dad saying he didn't need it anymore because he was leaving the sh*thole city - his exact words apparently.

It's a 38 special 5 shot, the bluing is fantastic still with very few scratches.

Wanting to learn at least what it is so I can get a value of it. The value will likely determine if I keep it as I simply don't plan on carrying or shooting it.

View attachment 204197
    As far as value, I just sold a 1966 nickel Model 36 with thumb latch for $600 a month ago (No box and grips were correct but serial numbers didn’t match). I would say the condition was similar to yours. S&W transitioned from the flat latch to thumb latch in 66 so yours is at least that old and probably older. The serial number should be on the butt and underside of the grips, but your story leads me to believe they’re probably matching. Nickel tends to sell for a bit more but the flat latch is desirable and the blueing is in pretty decent shape for its age. I’d say you could get at least $600 and probably more from the right buyer.

Top Bottom