Old school gamers. What was your First online game?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I've never played a game online, unless you count Xbox live...In that case the first was Halo and it sucked...I was heads and shoulders better than everyone I played against, but they knew every little possible way to exploit the cheats.

The only other game(s) I've played is NBA 2K...My buddy was ranked #1 in the world until he got a real job and couldn't play enough to keep his rank.

The only time I play 2K is with my buddy and needless to say I'm undefeated.:):

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    I had Doom in HS. That and Scorched Earth. They're not online games, but they were back in the days when you paid for internet by the minute.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Duke Nukem here. Never played another until I started playing the Call of Duty games online. Man you got me thinking about all kinds of the old school computer games (Descent, Dark Forces, Doom, Wolfenstein).

Last edited:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    never really played online games back in the day..actually never really played any games. a few years ago I bought a Xbox 360 and play COD4 online usually everyday for atleast an hour or so and usually once a month we get 4 of us together and destroy the nazi zombies on COD5:rockwoot: if youve never played the nazi zombie game on call of duty 5 your missin out! best game ever! I tried to play it alone once but got to creeped out:popcorn::ar15::tumbleweed: best zombie game ever..wish it was a full game instead of a mini game.

Mr. Mysterious

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I played Duke Nukem and Rise of the Triad over 14.4 modems back in the day. The first "Online" game in the sense that it was server hosted and connected through the internet and not using a modem handshake would have been Half-Life.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    My first "ONLINE" game was no other than Starcraft! I played it for 12 hours a day, I was addicted! I still play the game sometimes, - Can't wait for SC2!

Not to mention DIABLO III!

I forgot about Duke Nukem and Wofenstien 3D on DOS 3.1 but I didn't play them online.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My first "networked" game was WarCraft: Orcs and Humans. Along with Doom.

Doom and WarCraft II were my first "online" games. I really became an online gamer much later with Unreal Tournament, Diablo, and StarCraft. I've bought (and played the hell out of) every game by Blizzard, including my current World of WarCraft hobby.

A big +1 from me for the people waiting for SC2 and D3.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Rise of the Triad was pretty cool. Execution or mercy!?

ROTT rocked... glad to see others played this too over 14.4 modems :)

3D Realms Site: Rise of the Triad

rott1.gif

dfss3.gif

rott5.gif

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    How about this one:
    Did anyone ever play "Stars!" ? This was a turn-based, (via email) stellar conquest strategy game. It has a windows interface and almost no graphics, but was addictive as hell. You could literally not stop playing it. They had a shareware version that would suck you in. This came out around the time of Descent 1.

Look, the shareware is still available :) I DARE anyone to download and start playing it :)

Linky: Stars demo - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

stars.jpg

736px-Stars_screenshot.jpg

wiki: http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Stars!

Rhys

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    Thorntown, IN
    We used to play ROTT alot in Jr. High during our "computer club" hour...we weren't supposed to install stuff on the computers in the computer lab...but as we all know, school computer security is no match for a bunch of 7th grade guys...

Rhys

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    Thorntown, IN
    OH...and henktermaat, that middle pictures is from Dark Forces...not ROTT... Dark Forces was the game that had to con my parents into upgrading our computer from 4mb to 8mb of ram so that I could play... "Mom, if we have 8mb of ram, WordPerfect will run faster!" hehe...pretty sure that they saw through that one...

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I started by playing some game on Q-Link on a Commodore as a kid. Can't remember what it was called, but it was like Battleship.

Later when my parents got one of the very first Pentium computers (60Mhz & 8MB RAM) I played DOOM and Quake over the modem against my neighborhood friends when my parents weren't home, until I got caught and they erased the games and broke the disks.

I didn't play many online games for a while, except for Pool on Yahoo because my parents refused to upgrade their computer until I finally gave them a better one.

Once I got my own place and my own decent computer, I started playing Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator, which led to Star Wars games, then some FPS game I can't remember, then to Half-Life: Deathmatch and now Counter Strike: Source, Left 4 Dead, and others.

Last edited:

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    never really played online games back in the day..actually never really played any games. a few years ago I bought a Xbox 360 and play COD4 online usually everyday for atleast an hour or so and usually once a month we get 4 of us together and destroy the nazi zombies on COD5:rockwoot: if youve never played the nazi zombie game on call of duty 5 your missin out! best game ever! I tried to play it alone once but got to creeped out:popcorn::ar15::tumbleweed: best zombie game ever..wish it was a full game instead of a mini game.

If you have collected the deathcards & you set up a private game, you can fight Zombies in the co-op campaign with your friends.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I never really played any online games. I used to do some port surfing. Log into other systems and send emails from their mail server to friends. Guess root passwords. Trade warez. Look for ascii pr0n. Persecute aolamers on usenet. take over irc channels. hang out on hotline....

Top Bottom