Old Shotguns. What can you tell me about these?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Hey guys, I was cleaning up all of my guns this weekend and i began to wonder about the history of two of my grandfathers shotguns.

1.) Mossberg 200k

- My dad learned to deer hunt with this gun and my grandpa used it for rabbit hunting.

2.) J.C. Higgins 12 Gauge Bolt Action Model 583.20

-My grandpa used this gun to fill the freezer during shooting matches.

That is all i know about these two shotguns. They are really enjoyable to shoot, especially the bolt gun. What else do you guys know about them. Were they "so-so" guns at the time they were produced, or a great gun? Popular shotguns, or not? Date manufactured? Any info at all would be awesome! Thanks INGO :patriot:

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Here's a little Info on the J.C.; This is from the American Rifleman magazine;
    HIGH STANDARD/J.C. HIGGINS, MODEL 10, 12 GAUGE BOLT ACTION SHOTGUN
    AND SEARS MODEL NUMBERS: 583.13, 583.14, 583.15, 583.16, 583.17, 583.18, 583.19, 583.20, 583.21 AND 583.22
    The model of shotgun may be subject to a BOLT FAILURE. When this occurs the bolt will dislodge from the action, striking the shooter causing serious injury. These shotguns were manufactured for and sold by Sears, Roebuck & Co. during the 1950's.
    Call (800) 817-9165 for identification verification. Instructions for the return of the bolt and refund of $160.00 will be provided.
    Source:
    American Rifleman, April 1998; page 24

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have the same basic model of J.C. Higgins, mine is a 583.16. The consensus seems to be that no one who actually has one of these can figure out how the incident in question that led to the recall could have been the result of anything other than user error. The bolt is locked by the bolt handle and it is one piece with the bolt...and hefty, very hefty. The story is (as told by others), that the person with the injury was missing the bolt stop screw and hit themselves with the bolt when they yanked it back and that it was not an issue with firing the gun. I don't know for sure, but I've read that account many places.

No, the gun's not worth much....that's an understatement, but I'm holding onto mine and using it on the odd clay pigeon or large varmint as the need arises. It was my first 12ga and I'm keeping it.

Here is a link to an owner's manual.
    http://stevespages.com/pdf/jchiggins_10.pdf

I don't know anything about the Mossberg.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My friend has the 200K. He's used it since he was a kid.
    Aluminum or zinc trigger housing I believe, cheap casting whatever it is, wobbled out a screw hole.

Replace housing the proper fix. Didn't want to try that hard, so we epoxied it and it's been fine (screw only holds some tab/lever that doesn't really have a large load on it, proly a shell stop IIRC).

Works fine.

If it goes to heck he's right back where he was.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    does anyone know... were they very popular guns at the time they were made? i'm not worried about what they are worth as i would never sell either firearm for sentimental reasons alone. Just wondered if there are a lot of them out there?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've seen them over the years at gunshows. Not common, but not rare either.
    Indiana pretty much always being a .22 rf and shotgun popular state, proly bumps up the numbers.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a J.C.Higgins 581.?? I think. It's a 16ga. bolt gun.

Given to me by a friend. Rarely sees any use, but it's still a viable option when I open ythe safe door.

Never even heard of the Mossberg 200K

Top Bottom